Why is not Land Rover building this?

o_teunico

Ugh!

It would certainly be a spectacular fail on my "Dogs and Logs" test [Can a couple of hungry Rottweilers eat the trim in the passenger-compartment? Can I roughly hurl half-a-ton of wet-and-muddy just-chainsawed firelogs in the back without causing enough trim-damage to instantly wipe £10000 off the resale-value]

--Tanuki

"Badgers? Always part of the problem, never part of the answer".

Because I don't have shares in LandRover, I no longer care that much what they build. Back when i did care I rather hoped that the Defender division would get sold off to a firm like JCB, who at least have an inkling of the attributes required to build a proper 4wd for the rural,industrial and military market.

Because I don't have shares in LandRover, I no longer care that much what they build. Back when i did care I rather hoped that the Defender division would get sold off to a firm like JCB, who at least have an inkling of the attributes required to build a proper 4wd for the rural,industrial and military market.

Actually, that's the best idea I heard in a long time.

Actually, that's the best idea I heard in a long time.

+1!! Defender Fastrac anyone?

As for the "kaki(sic) special" LR build enough products for the "fur coat no knickers" brigade - and I'm not knocking it, they're doing well out of it & probably saved them from going the way of most of the rest of BL! But I just don't get "pimped" Defenders. Why keep a chiuaua & yap yourself?

Each to their own though.

Also a RR/Disco engine would kick the ar$e out of the Defender drivetrain in no time flat, given that they can't even keep up with a Ford Transit engine.

@Landy-Novice - Don't knock XC90's, they're only Freelander2's with a Volvo badge on, also known as an Evoque these days (with more toys & much bigger price tag). And yes, I think all 3 are decent enough cars.

Also a RR/Disco engine would kick the ar$e out of the Defender drivetrain in no time flat, given that they can't even keep up with a Ford Transit engine.

@Landy-Novice - Don't knock XC90's, they're only Freelander2's with a Volvo badge on, also known as an Evoque these days (with more toys & much bigger price tag). And yes, I think all 3 are decent enough cars.

Are your sure they share a floor pan?

The volvos look quite a bit bigger undernieth, i've not had the 2 side by side though.

If they do i wonder if the 4.4 v8 from the xc90 would squeeze into the evoque?

Thing is none of us have to like it, because we most likely couldn't afford it, or afford to run it.

However in countries where lots of people have more money than sense, they lap this sort of

thing up and would buy them.

Probably why this is being launched in a sandbowl country, and not europe that is on the verge

of financial collapse, with governments bailing out banks with private savings.

I do love seeing beautiful shiny paint on landrover panels. Wavy!

It would probably cost landrover so much in quality control its not worth it. They're better off sticking to their luxury models (on which they make most of the profit on the accessories apparently) and leaving this sort of thing to the aftermarket. If you had millions to throw around you probably would :)

I do love seeing beautiful shiny paint on landrover panels. Wavy!

It would probably cost landrover so much in quality control its not worth it. They're better off sticking to their luxury models (on which they make most of the profit on the accessories apparently) and leaving this sort of thing to the aftermarket. If you had millions to throw around you probably would :)

Yes, they even manage to reproduce the waves on the Puma steel pannelled doors!. Anyway pimping out a Defender as suggested would be akin to fitting gold teeth to a rat, and the result probably wouldn't appeal to buyers with that kind of lolly.