Changing from a 110 to a 130 Utility

Hi All, Looking into changing the 110 for a 130 Utility (if they made one) is it cost effective to change the body and stretch the chassis, or go and buy a 130 to start with. I only ask as everyone with a Landy will know that it takes a lot of time and money to get the thing how you want and running correctly, and if I get another one I don’t want to have to start again.

Thanks, any info greatly received?

By utility I assume you mean a long station wagon. Land Rover never made one and from memory Foley make them. Otherwise out with the welder!

It shouldnt be too hard, just as long as you get the alignment spot on when you cut the chassis!

H

Thanks Chaps

I now am as stuck as before, as I was looking for a 130 like my 110, Station Wagon ex Electrical Board sort of thing, with solid sides as mentioned by Aragorn above, but if Landrover didn't make one there is no real point looking. I use it for a works van taking all my service equipment about and 25 ltr drums of Oil and tool boxes. I go off road on Farms and Building sites and drag Cherry Pickers and Scissor Lifts out of the Mud so the Landy is just what I need but I could do with a couple of feet more of space.

I will have to put my thinking cap on, it might even be a colour co-ordinated Sanky

:o

well dare I say it, but if you're a canny welder and a bit of a fabricator, then there is an option, and one that I've not seen done, but there could be an opening here for someone. if you need a 'couple of xtra feet' then it should be quite simple really. If you have a sw, then find yurself a 110 ht tub and roof sides, and posiblly a x-member as well. Cut off the overhang from the tub, but leave the return rear sides. fabicate an extension to the chassis that bolts thro the old x-member of say 24" or whatever the cutoff bit measures, with a 'new' x member / mounting plates visible at the rear. Then attach the two parts, making a joining strip, and then use the cut down hardtop roof sides with rear quarter window returns, instead of your sw rear panels, and roof extension to tie the lot together, re fix your rear door to the new extension, wire up the lights etc and from the rear no one would know. You could make it 'demountable' so for insurance purposes it would just be a 'load' that you were carrying and not a mod. Tow bar might need a bit of thinking about.

I've always wondered why LR never offered a 90 with the rear o/h of a 110? that would be a useful truck!

I'd say visit a weighbridge a few times with varying loads, a 130 single cab quadtech is what you'd want or ex ambulance I reckon. Failing that truckcab your 110 and put a box on it or flatbed with roof and sides ect. There are a lot of accesability issues and wasted space with a hardtop as a service vehicle imho.

Will.

If you need 2nd row seats, then a double cab 130 Hi-Cap with an iFor might be the best bet.

If you don't need the 2nd row seats, have you thought about a 110 Hi-Cap? There is actually a lot more room in the back than in a standard 110, and I'd place a bet that they have more room than a standard body 130 too...

Also, the Hi-Cap tubs come up cheap on eBay, if you wanted to change your current 110.

Much easier than custom building a flatbed, and cheaper than buying a quadtech. Also as its a body made by LR there shouldn't be any insurance issues.

You can build a station wagon onto a 130 chassis using the 110 rear tub and two sets of front doors. I've seen it done.

BUT

You have seven inches of body side to fill in. You're choice is at the "B" post with with anoter "B" to hang the doors onand the seats right back and fill in between the two "B" posts

Or hang the rear doors on the existing "B" and fill between the "C" and the "C" on the tub,

Somewhere I might have measurements.