230V welding set power supply

Ash.Witty

Hi all,

Recently I have acquired a Clarke 160Turbo welding set, I have been trying to weld some 1/4" plate and don't seem to be having much luck.

My question is will my 13A supply be strangling my welder and should I fit a 16A socket?

My welds seem to look like turds and no matter what I try I can't seem to get it right. On Thin metal up to 1/8" works a treat and get some decent welds but Im hoping a beefier supply will get me going again.

Ash

Yes, I always prep the piece to be welded but the welder doesn't seem to Have much grunt on the higher settings.

I did toy with getting a 3 phase job but have run out of pennies as my Cummins engine conversion has swallowed the lot :( maybe in the future but I would like to make the best of what I have got to play with.

As above, earth lead and clamp also makes a huge difference, I have a Clarke 151TE, and I weld 6mm with little issues.

I stuck mine on a 16A plug, powered by a 6 metre caravan hook-up cable, makes it easy to move about outside the workshop :) According to the instructions, you MUSt have it from a 16A supply, not sure if yours is the same.

Replaced my earth lead with chunky stuff when it got too short/badly burnt(!), and fitted a very strong clamp to it from Mole Valley, a hundred times better than the horrible old thing on there which just melted and fell off in about a year!

I weld up to 8mm from a standard domestic supply with no problems. My opinion is that the supplied earth clamps from Clarke, Sip, Sealey etc are a total waste of copper wire. The clamps are made of tin, buy a decent earth clamp, they're cheap enough.

Its not just the earth lead that can suck the amps up , the torch lead can get worn out with all the twists and tight turns you always end up with

working a welder

I changed my Snap-on 180a welder eurotorch lead for a Binzel 4m unit and was amazed at how much I had been losing through the old

lead , and it's running off a 13a plug .

The old torch lead was probably more than 15yrs old and the Binzel is off my 3 phase Butters

cheers

Steveb

I used to have the same welder (which I gifted to someone on here when I bought a bigger one). I put down some lovely multi-pass welds on up to 12mmplate without any problem. All the tooling for my Fly Press was welded together with it - and it's all still stuck 10 years on. Some of it was even welding 25mm round bar to 30mm square section. Get it hot enough with high power, low wire feed, low gas - and it takes OK.

My suspicion is that there is something not right with the welder! Maybe the rectifier is over heating - or just not working properly?

Take it to a grown-up welding shop and see what they make of it.

Si

My problem with taking a Clarke welder to a grown-up welding shop is you tend to get laughed at :/

Not literally, but you know what I mean.

Consider though, for ~£100 for the eurotorch, new earth clamp, new earth wire, plus messing about, you could probably sell it as is for £150 or so, and put the extra together to get a decent more industrial machine with greater life and more standardised components from the off, plus bigger, more economical wire reels.

Never thought about the torch, it's got the std. Built in one fitted, but I've just had a look on eBay at a euro torch conversion kit with a 4m lead for £75 so might go for an upgrade.

Buy one with the gas valve included if yours is like mine. The 150TE has a manual gas valve in the torch, a Euro torch does not. With a Euro setup the gas is switched via solenoid valve at the bottom end, and I've had a devil of a job sorting it all out. I'm using a 24vac relay operated by the Euro trigger, to switch a 230vac coil solenoid gas valve, because I wasn't certain that the 24vac would have enough spare capacity to hold a valve open, and the last thing I wanted to do was fry the circuit board!

Have you got gas? :blush: I run a clarke 151te off a 13A supply with no-issue. The biggest improvement by far is getting a decent co2/argon gas bottle and regulator. The disposables are only good for emergency use as the compatible regs from machine mart are on or off. I found the disposables wouldn't last more than 3 mins total welding time. The 151 shares an instruction manual with the 160 and has a similar spec.

The other advice is to make sure the metal is clean as possible, and as someone has said to v the weld on thick material to help the weld penetration.

Pete

Right, I've come to the conclusion that I could make a decent welding set by upgrading my unit but I could have a very good used 3 phase unit instead by selling mine and saving a few pennies up.

Those were the type of clamps I was looking at, strong and would give a very good connection.