ibex 300 build

gorgeous what a result with the cheap grey. i didnt lacquer my truck 4 years ago wish i did now though its quite faded although there isnt a straight panel on it now after various (surprisingly none of them my fault in the slightest) incidents it has had (all stationary and cows/other land rovers damaging it)

the paint probably went on a bit thick and chips fairly easily too when i get round to redoing it ill do a better job using my experience of this and another couple of trucks

I didn't lacquer 45 either and considering it's only been polished twice in 5 years both times before it went to ladoga it's held up well. To be honest I want it to look good for about the first month on the road after that I'll just want to drive it so scratches, dings and fading won't bother me.

Mike

scratches dont bother me and to be fair mine will probably polish out but considering how straight it was before some of the dings it has recieved are hardly minor haha which is quite frustrating even though i know full well i will damage the bodywork and paint off road!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the tank back out to fit a "fill" breather and the disco sender/pick up only to find the hole in the tank to small. I guess td5 sender is about 6mm smalller diameter also I didn't have a clamp ring so out with the grinder... Sometime later, a destroyed rotary burr and two flap wheels I have a clamp ring out of 3mm stainless and the disco sender fits.

IMAG1435.JPG.caea0cd4024990ac0a744eb110a26163.JPG

The tank is all back in so time to think about pipe and cable runs. I've settled on the fuel and brake lines being tucked up on the inside of the top chassis rail. This left me with two problems the first is how the hell do I drill the chassis for pipe clips along side the gearbox.

IMAG1440.thumb.JPG.50cf878743759234e19907b25608c898.JPG

IMAG1439_BURST002_COVER.JPG.a027e91f471816e399cc0e473ebcbd66.JPG

My solution was to cut a drill bit down and regrind it. The second problem is I don't have enough room to clip the cables via this route my current thinking is on the outside of the top chassis rail it's a little more vulnerable on the outside but it should be high enough to not be a problem.

IMAG1441.JPG.6c90ede7179f8704417bf5c7f5fbcdc3.JPG

As you can see while I was there I ran the brake line too.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

It's starting to look close to finished now!

Regarding your cable runs, I believe John Foers runs all the "rear end" cables through the inside of the cab hiding it with trim and with hindsight I would have done mine that way too. It's surprising how bulky and vulnerable it looks clipped along the side of the chassis rail compared to a defender where it's all hidden within the chassis box.

Enjoying watching yours grow,

Giles

• 1 month later...

After a whole load of no spare time and feeling carp over Xmas I've final managed to do something.

I'm using a discovery loom and when I took it out I realized it goes up over the doors inside the cabin so that was the routing solved and it's hung roughly in place. The rear is going to need extending by about 3' and I've had to move the main supply cables as the batterys are under the back seats but other than that it works out well.

Today I've got all the locks and catches fitted and working (no pictures for obvious reasons). It was a bit of a pig and I've had to do a fair bit with a diegrinder to get them to work but I'm happy with the result.

Also manage to work out where the rear lights are going to go I've settled on standard defender pattern but the rear panel is not as tall and narrower so whilst there is enough room to fit a number plate in I can't put it there. The IVA in it's infinite wisdom say I need a space around 40mm bigger than a standard plate so it won't fit my solution is going to be to mount the light vertically where the plate would be but up close to the door this mean the the plate can go on the door. Once it's on the road I'll probably end up moving it to the standard position covering any holes from the light with the plate.

Mike

I expect and want it on a Q plate I've deliberately used two donors so I can't see how they could age relate it. According to the government website yes Q plates do still exist but they try there best to age relate unregistered cars. I know many disagree with my choice but a Q plate is like waving a flag to the authorities saying this car is legal and has been inspected. I built a tomcat about 9 years ago and it ended up on a K plate as per the donor and I always felt it made it look old. I also got followed across town by the police in the early hours right into my flats car park (the address it was registered at) where they then put there blue lights on as I got out and asked me what it was I wouldn't of minded so much if it didn't have tomcat written down the side and I know they had checked on the system because they told me they didn't know what one was. They then went on there way with out another word. ?

Mike

An insurance company that has sense? Tell me who that is please, because I haven't found any as yet. Noone would touch me, except Flux, and they have an agreed value policy, which in their minds involves setting a ridiculously low value for your car, which you have to agree with.

It was a real downer to me, that after going to the trouble of getting your car legal, most insurers don't want to know. people that don't bother (almost everyone) drive an illegal car and have no problems insuring it. Where does that make sense, exactly?

Daan

Now I've worked out how I'm going to do the rear part of the winch set up. I ordered some aluminium and started on the fairlead.

IMAG1540.thumb.JPG.ee2b2ec399198e35bd99ff89e7152595.JPG

Drilled some holes.

IMAG1541.JPG.a1c71531f483c8e139748002caedf434.JPG

Made them bigger.

IMAG1542.JPG.fb7ee7800f1621060910119598dde771.JPG

Joined them up with a jigsaw then spent a lot of time with a file and flap wheel. Now I've got to chat my dad up to spend some time on the lathe to make the spacers up.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat