Mercedes om606 engine

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was elsewhere on the web today (it is allowed!) and discovered that Cummins engines from CVRT's are fitted with Bosch pumps, ... I don' suppose it helps in this applicatiion but it may be of interest?

The Bosch code (I checked) is 0 402 736 908

One of the suppliers is .....

http://www.milweb.net/webvert/71458

new or take off, there seem to be a few about ??

It just struck me that at that time the military might have opted for complete mechanical reliability, can anyone de-code and tell us whether it might suit the om606.

:unsure:

I will when/if I can find one at the right price,..... in the meantime I just came across that. As DD has proved, (and we can all see on fleebay) the cars and engines are readily available, (for most of us) getting the project off the ground at a sensible price would seem to hinge on sourcing that increasingly rare pump........... Or we wait to see how this thread pans out (which could be a while :D) and see how it might be done another way!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into this engine a bit more, it really is an interesting engine. I was just struggling a bit in finding info on what turbo to use to create a low to mid rpm torque monster. The scandinavians put huge hollsets on them to get tons of top end power and torque but those turbos spool late. From what i've read its hard to mechanically control a vgt. A compound setup would be ideal.

I've been looking into this engine a bit more, it really is an interesting engine. I was just struggling a bit in finding info on what turbo to use to create a low to mid rpm torque monster. The scandinavians put huge hollsets on them to get tons of top end power and torque but those turbos spool late. From what i've read its hard to mechanically control a vgt. A compound setup would be ideal.

How about using a supercharger instead ? That would give you more grunt from go !

Great thread. Learnt more in the last half hour than weeks searching on the net.

Q1. Is the turbo from the E300td engine not suitable for classic range rover conversion. Not looking for huge power just something above 150hp.

Q2. If it is suitable can the 606 non turbo pump be modified to fit a turbo engine.

Again, great thread...

HB

Just going on the TD4 FL, because that's what I drive, the turbo actuator works on vacuum which is controlled by a small solenoid valve, the same valve is used to control the EGR valve actuator and I believe similar ones are used on D2's and various other cars.

The solenoid valve is controlled by a varying voltage, in the case of the TD4 the ECU provides the voltage as a PWM output, the same method used in millions of applications including Megasquirt's idle-air control, which is doing a very similar thing (opening a small air valve). More volts = more open = more vacuum = more pull on the actuator rod, quite simple.

Of course you need some parameters to control the action - you need to know what boost you're aiming for, engine load (throttle position?) & RPM, and I'm told that there are factors of turbo geometry to account for to avoid damaging the turbo (over/under speed, stall), and some sort of map or formula for what to do with the turbo given these various conditions.

Being ludicrously OTT you could use any Megasquirt to control a VNT by wiring the control valve to the injector drive output. It's about the quickest way to a mappable VNT setup with running & proven software, but way overkill. I suppose one could build a Megasquirt with most of the bits missing, it certainly means there's no software to develop.

You could replicate it for much cheaper/simpler using a smaller microcontroller such as MSP430, STM32 or even (ugh) Arduino.

Use the standard turbo and get it hybrid by a turbo rebuilder, but you will get 150 from a standard turbo easy, I have a clutch kit for the conversation, brand new genuine parts, cost me 300 will.sell for 100,

Yes you can use a om606 non turbo injection pump, as long as it's the mechanical type one and not the later edc one,

I like your idea FridgeFreezer... would Rasberry PI work too? (I know nothing about computers but ive seen Rasberry PI used to serve cocktails :P )

Mechanical control isnt too hard... the VW boys manage it ;)
they use a cable to pull the vanes closed (more boost) with throttle then a boost actuator (like a 200tdi one) to open the vanes (less boost) so the turbo doesnt over boost...
advantage of this method is that the vanes are allways moving so they dont coke up and when on a cruise with little power requirement there is little restriction on the engine (compared to a simple boost can control method)

Yes, a Raspberry PI would work, but it's massively overkill. You don't need anything like that much power.

A small microcontroller would be plenty capable and would probably still have overhead. As fridge suggests, an MSP430, STM32 or an Arduino would be an ideal platform.

My personal vote goes to Arduino. Fridge will scoff at that, but then he works with embedded systems for a living. In the hobby market however, it's the most beginner friendly, and you'll get the most support from the forums.