Mercedes om606 engine

I quite like the sound of the om606 conversion, with a few tweaks it has the drivability of a petrol. If I had known about this engine before I did my 6bt swap there's a good possibility it could have ended up powered by an om606.

Although I do like the huge amount of torque delivered by the cummins when it hits boost I can't help to think the transfer box, prop shafts and axle components are enjoying the 800+ft lbs of torque when my right foot is buried through the bulkhead...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My idea of getting a late model rrc has not worked out. So sticking with my two door. Would a manual gearbox from a td5 discovery take the pounding from an om606. Its just auto box are not to common around my neck of the woods.

Thanks

Hb

Thanks guys.

I had my doubts but needed to check. Can you recommend a manual gearbox that would take the load. Did land rover make a manual gearbox for the v8 of the early 90's. I guess they did but not too common.

Thanks

Hb

Yes - the LT77.

Remember that Diesels make torque; petrols make Horsepower. It's Torque that trashes gearboxes/strips halfshaft splines. An old Rover V8 puts out a *lot* less torque, and about the same BHP, as a stock TD5.

If you're looking for a gearbox to go behind an OM606 I'd suggest something like an "A727" Chrysler Torqueflite auto with 11.75 in torque-converter: the torque-converter will cushion the rest of the drivetrain from a lot of the shock-loads and 'shunt' effects you can otherwise get with engines which go from nothing-to-masses of torque over a very small throttle movement. The A727 is - all these years on - still beloved of the drag-racer/monster-truck types.

My C plate V8 90 has one which is an original fit , I thought all V8 90 and 110's had the LT85, but I might be

wrong

Cheers

Steveb

The first V8 110s had the LT95 four speed. I had one as a work vehicle once. Those were good days! It's a strong box which can be made stronger but I don't think it was ever designed for a big diesel.

The Chrysler Torqueflite mentioned above sounds like a good move. There was a similar box fitted to the first auto Rang Rovers. I know little about them (other than having driven one and not liking it...) but it might mean fitting could be straightforward?

Torqueflite is old..... 4L80(E) is way more modern and very very strong. You would need either manual shift valve body or compushift. Does give you an overdrive gear and TC lockup. TH400 is plenty strong too but no overdrive gear or TC lockup.

I'd like to see a well built 700r4 behind a mild (250-300hp) OM606. Lowest first gear, manual lockup possible on all gears except first and an overdrive. Full hydraulic box too.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not use the 722.6 6 speed autobox that comes with the 0m606, its a superb and strong box, still used on the big AMGs.

Use a remote input shaft to couple it to the LT230.

Its exactly what im doing right now with my Vovlo C303. You will need to check the length though as the 606+722.6 is quite long.

Dont forget theres also the om605 5 cyl, its a bit shorter.