What on earth is this noise?

What on earth is this noise?

I spent a good hour lying underneath my Puma 110 CSW yesterday looking for the source of this noise.

Its hard to describe, Its sounds like a slightly lesser version of having an empty Ifor Williams trailer on the back – or a slightly bigger version of a very loose Roof Rack bracket.

I tightened up a couple of vaguely loose ‘things’ but its made no difference.

I've now been round the entire vehicle – I cant find anything loose?

(The whole time I didn’t get one single drip of oil on me – should I be concerned?)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks for the replies:

To the limited extent of my abilities, I've Checked propshaft UJs, Wheel bearings, a-frame ball joint etc, for movement, It’s a bit like the noise you might get if the brake disk shields were loose.

This isn’t an Old vehicle 09 plate with 42,000 clocked up.

The exhaust isn’t loose, but the internals of a silencer might have fallen apart?

I was beginning to wonder if there were something loose in the bell housing?

Has anybody ever experienced this before?

Rear Shock mountings / rubbers are worth a look.

Previously I had a similar noise and it was the hole in the middle of the lower rear mounts had enlarged to the point where the pin could hit the sides of the hole in the hanger. Outwardly it looked fine and passed an MOT but the noise was terrible!

I only found it when the end of one shock fatigued and fell off - then it was clear by the wear pattern.

Si

Is it only when moving or all the time the engine is running ?

..if it's when the engine is running it could be the dualmass flywheel or an internal bit of loose exhaust - waggle the exhaust around

with the engine off

If its only when moving it could be prop related check for free play with wheels firmly chocked on level ground

and out of gear with handbrake off

cheers

Steveb

Thanks for all the replies – trying to identify a noise by describing it in words on a forum is a pretty bonkers idea, but I hadn’t thought of the loose brake shoes before.

Just to repeat – it is a 2009 model with 42,000 miles registered so I doubt its heavy wear that’s causing the problem.

Its only present when I go over bumps, and I did think it might be related to the clutch – but often when you are using the clutch at low speeds you are braking as well?

Try recording the noise using the video function of your mobile phone and then upload it to youtube and paste a link here. Would be useful to let us know the time in the video when the noise occurs.

**HS Disclaimer: Obviously you should start the video before you drive off and stop it again once you have stopped the vehicle.

Thanks for all the replies – trying to identify a noise by describing it in words on a forum is a pretty bonkers idea, but I hadn’t thought of the loose brake shoes before.

Just to repeat – it is a 2009 model with 42,000 miles registered so I doubt its heavy wear that’s causing the problem.

Its only present when I go over bumps, and I did think it might be related to the clutch – but often when you are using the clutch at low speeds you are braking as well?

If it's bump related then as I said I suspect it's the brake pads rattling which is a well known phenomena. There is a known issue with clutch springs rattling and there was a recall for early Puma's where they changed the clutch under warranty. My first Puma had this issue but the noise was only evident at idle, shutdown and sometimes under load, the noise concerned was a light rattle but not related to going over bumps. Puma's have solid and not dual mass flywheels.

My money would be on the pads, it's common and just something they do.

• 1 year later...

Hi - New to Defenders but not spanners! Love the vehicles torque and I now always drive in wellies if it rains!

I know its TWO YEARS since this thread started but !!!

I have exactly the same noise on an 2007 Puma

The noise stops when I brake so I checked the pads - they look very normal only done 2000 miles! but I am sure its the pads rattling as I have virtually hung out the car and listened as we go over bumps and even the slightest touch of the brake stops it.

SO! is there anything I can do or is this just one of those 'They always sound like that' so ignore it!!!'

Oakmaster - did you ever get to the bottom of your problem

Thanks for being there everyone - it was the great Forum support that convinced me to buy the Defender as I live in wild west France 1.5 miles from the nearest LR 'experts'!!

There are 2 types of brake pad retaining system, one is a spring on a pin type affair, where the other is a bent piece of spring steel which pushes down on the top of the pads. This could well have fallen out or come loose, inspecting and then renewing these would be my first step.

No I never got to the bottom of it, last year we tightened-up some loose ratting thing round the fuel filler, (which was contributing to the noises) but the main metallic jingly rattle is still there – The brakes were checked with wheels off at the service – with no obvious faults. Now its becoming windows down season no doubt this will irritate all over again!

Just my 2p, we used to have a problem on Mondeo whereby the rear pads would rattle and sound much like you have described. The FoMoCo solution for this was a particularly thick and water resistant silicone grease. I use it on all my pads now and assembly of materials likely to generate corrosion and it works a charm.

N.B. When I say on pads I mean on the points where it meets the pad carrier not on the friction surface! :-)

Kris