Drill bit Sharpener any good?

Maverik

Hi chaps,

Has anyone had any experience of a good drill bit sharpening bit of kit? there are various gizmo's on fleebay but all look a little bit gimmicky as apposed to useful... I was just wondering as I seem to be going through bits just now like there's no tomorrow.

Cheers

Mav

I have one that runs off a drill. The grinding bit works really well however to align the flutes you put the bit in the holder and push the bit into a vee groove then onto the grinding wheel, if there is an damage what so ever it doesn't align correctly and you don't get the right tip shape, so it's ok for a blunt drill but that's about it. I tend to do them by eye on the grinding wheel most of the time and once you've done a few you get an eye for it, it's quicker than setting the machine up.

If your getting through a lot of bits try drilling slower and using a lubricant.

I have a bench grinder and can usually get by with the smaller bits, but its ones above ~8mm getting the centre back is a ball ache I find, I've only got a hand drill so slow drilling isn't all that great... but will head your advice.

I'll have a dig around the archive see if its in there.

If you do want a jig go for one that works on the bench grinder, once you get used to the setup they work quite well. Just be patient with them and don't try to take off too much at a time.

I've used this sort in the past .... http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Drill-Grinding-Attachment-44351-Draper-1180C?gclid=CP6JyMP01rgCFQ_LtAodfAcAmg

Si's post on drill sharpening is here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5783

I usually sharpen mine on a 4 1/2" grinder I can get them good enough to drill again but not perfect ( the old man beats me hands down) what sort of drill bits are you using? We sell these http://www.tooled-up.com/product/draper-expert-5mm-cobalt-twist-drill-bit/177215/'>draper ones at work which are fantastic and drill better and stay sharp longer than any others I've tried.

I bought a set of similar looking unbranded ones off a tool guy for £25 and they are carp so I just blunt them and replace with a draper one now.

Will.

I have a bench grinder and can usually get by with the smaller bits, but its ones above ~8mm getting the centre back is a ball ache I find, I've only got a hand drill so slow drilling isn't all that great... but will head your advice.

I'll have a dig around the archive see if its in there.

ive always just sharpened them on the bench grinder, never had a problem finding the center when sharpening bits, i do them by eye and seem to absolutely eat through steel after.

if you are loosing the center, do you really need to take that much material off the bit? ive never had to take so much off apart from when one has snapped.

p.s. apparently there is no point sharpening the cheapy types, they just blunt again straight away as you take their very thin case hardening away.

I managed to snap the first 20mm of a 12mm bit, don't ask how I managed it... needed some serious re-modelling as I needed to get the hole cut...

if you are loosing the center, do you really need to take that much material off the bit? ive never had to take so much off apart from when one has snapped.

Many years ago I broke a 4" drill in a capstan lathe, made a bit of a bang I can tell you! That was beyond sharpening. It also took a tooth off the lathes gearbox.

I sharpen all my drills at home, and those at work by eye on the bench grinder. It really is worth learning and practicing as once you can do it it's so much quicker than using a sharpener.

• 3 weeks later...

Lidl have an electric drill sharpening machine on offer on 22nd August at £19.99. As usual its got 3 year warranty and probably German made.

Think I will buy one because I am still a bit hit and miss doing them on a grinder.

Barry

PS I don't work for Lidl or Aldi honest!

Hi there.

I have one of the attachments, but I use it just to get the correct angle under a drill in a stand with a disc or stone fitted.

The attachment can be then slid slowly on the stand base under the disc to sharpen it.

Works well for me, I can never get the angle right by sight alone. It didn't take long for it to pay for it's self.

• 2 weeks later...
Lidl have an electric drill sharpening machine on offer on 22nd August at £19.99. As usual its got 3 year warranty and probably German made.

Think I will buy one because I am still a bit hit and miss doing them on a grinder.

Barry

PS I don't work for Lidl or Aldi honest!

I bought one on Thursday ( and charged it to Work in case it was carp :i-m_so_happy: ).

Bit fiddly but it works really well. You get 2 spare grinding wheels, and a dozen German made metric drill bits included. It does from tiny up to 10mm.

Barry