One for Si, whats happening to x-Eng?

Maverik

For anyone wanting to make their own headlight relay system, a good source of quality H4 connectors can be had at any scrap yard. Find yourself a Japanese model (Subaru are especially good) and whip off the connectors off the back of the bulbs together with several inches of wire. Then make up your loom with relays and wires running to the lamps and then joint the 2 bits near the headlamps using quality waterproof connector. Simples.

I like the idea of an X-like thread too, X-Suggest?

I don't own a lathe or milling machine so can't make my own but I'd happily pay for a set of seal fitting mandrels, specifically sized and shaped for diff pinion, hub, handbrake seals etc.

A better heater / blower / demister solution, possibly with a feature to heat washer water...

hmm x like, definetly heated washer jets, as the amount of crud on screen at times would be soo much easier to clean off especially when freezing on. a solution to demisting side windows in defender that was easier and neater than huge hole in side with holesaw - oooh how i see me messing that up.

and if x eng were to get brave solve design challenges like sorting out my poxy spare wheel carrier so wheel moves in closer - will pop up photo later, would make hooking on log splitter tons easier.

For anyone wanting to make their own headlight relay system, a good source of quality H4 connectors can be had at any scrap yard. Find yourself a Japanese model (Subaru are especially good) and whip off the connectors off the back of the bulbs together with several inches of wire. Then make up your loom with relays and wires running to the lamps and then joint the 2 bits near the headlamps using quality waterproof connector. Simples.

I buy my headlamp connectors from Vehicle Wiring Products, I don't consider them expensive. Done properly they should last 20 years....

I buy my headlamp connectors from Vehicle Wiring Products, I don't consider them expensive. Done properly they should last 20 years....

Male ones Mike? I.E. the male spades as on the back of a bulb as opposed to the female connectors in the plastic housing on the end of wiring loom?

Chris

Male ones Mike? I.E. the male spades as on the back of a bulb as opposed to the female connectors in the plastic housing on the end of wiring loom?

Chris

Just the female one. When I made the headlight loom up for my Defender. I used the original headlight loom and connector to trigger the relays. Instead of cutting the original bulb connector off, I used male blades from a connector block, they have worked well.

• 4 weeks later...

On the strength of Si's comments, I ordered a pile of bits for my 110 from Foundry's Ebay page on Monday, they adjusted the postage rather nicely quite quickly, I realised I'd ordered the wrong hinges, phoned, got straight through, sorted very pleasant. Parcel of bits was on my door today in deepest, darkest Aberdeenshire.

I'm happy!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought it was a relevant place to ask...

A lot of people have contacted me, unhappy that Foundry want to charge £5 for shipping on small items

I just tried to order some X-Eng bits and Foundry's website wants £25 postage. :blink: That's just not funny.

Does anyone else stock X-Eng stuff with more sane postage?

Fridge,

See below... I just placed an order with LRDirect who advertise free postage to UK, Europe, Spain, Portugal etc and when it came to the checkout, it wanted nearly £45 ! I queried it, and apparently its because Aberdeen is remote / offshore. Silly me..

Postage_zps3cfb38db.png

Fridge

At the risk of stating the obvious .... Have you tried ringing them and asked for a different postage price ?

When I dealt with them they were very accommodating over the phone - though not really good over email . I was getting the wrong impression until I actually spoke to them.

Always annoys me when companies which are operating mail-order dump a massive shipping charge on, as if you were going to get the stuff from them some other way. Sure, charge a bit for shipping especially if it's a small order where the jiffy bag costs more than the bag of nylocks inside it, but when you order £££'s of stuff that is not unduly big or heavy it just feels like taking the p***.

My solution is not to order from them on principle.

Always annoys me when companies which are operating mail-order dump a massive shipping charge on, as if you were going to get the stuff from them some other way. Sure, charge a bit for shipping especially if it's a small order where the jiffy bag costs more than the bag of nylocks inside it, but when you order £££'s of stuff that is not unduly big or heavy it just feels like taking the p***.

My solution is not to order from them on principle.

Absolutely right fridge. Ive always liked LR Series way of doing things whereby you can get a customized bill to the size/weight of item. Like you i had a few washers delivered and they only charged enough to cover 1st class stamp and standard envelope..

Donald thats taking the tiddle re postage for that lot. Ive known companies (admittedly not LR related) charge not much more than that to ship whatever you could fit onto a pallet from London to Ayrshire....

That does seem a bit steep! I'm seeing Steve (the owner of Foundry) in a few weeks and I'll enquire why.

I used to make a loss on the shipping - about £10k per year, but it was a personal choice. It doesn't justify excessive shipping costs in my book - but again, I guess thats a personal choice too.

Yesterday I ordered a new nozzle for my 3D printer weighing 10g and had to pay £25 shipping! They said they would only send it with FedEx. Even FedEx would only charge them £10 or so. Unfortunately they had me over a bit of a barrel and I had no choice! I'll make the next one myself!

Si

Never understand all the silly high postage costs, where I used to work (until only a month ago so not outdated info) they had a mail order side to the business so I used to send all my eBay sales stuff out through them and sneak it through, but they only paid ~ £5 + vat for up to 20kg via interlink express, and you could send multiple parcels to one address under that one fee!

They did a fair bit so obviously they'd negotiated good terms but I'm sure they were no bigger than foundry or any of the other companies guilty of these rip offs. I think they just see it as an easy extra tenner on a bill!

We used to use CityLink at work, until they said they were going to charge is £50 a month for the privlidge of being a customer. We only used them about once every 3 months, most of our stuff being delivered by a man with a van. That meant it was going to cost us £150 for shipping that item in essence!

In my case I even removed the discs to reduce parcel weight, changed the delivery address to my work, split the order into smaller packs... the lot. I couldn't get it to qualify for free postage and this was over £400 of parts...

In my case I even removed the discs to reduce parcel weight, changed the delivery address to my work, split the order into smaller packs... the lot. I couldn't get it to qualify for free postage and this was over £400 of parts...

I used to get charged £11.58 + VAT for mainland UK & £22.19 for Highlands & Islands, coincidentally the same as mainland Europe. However I used to charge a flat rate for the UK and free shipping over £100. This was mostly because of the number of people complaining at how little Paddocks charged for shipping.

The trouble is, as a small company, the couriers are simply not interested in your business - treating it almost as an inconvenience to them and a great favour that they will collect your parcels at all! Any excuse such as bad weather, bad traffic etc and they would just not turn up! Then I had to field all the calls from people saying they had paid for 24h shipping - but it has not turned up. In the small print of the contract with the couriers, they guarantee 24h delivery but do not guarantee collection within 24h of booking.

Someone like Paddocks can negotiate far better rates & terms because of their volumes - which leaves small businesses at a terrible disadvantage.

I did manage to negotiate a better deal with DPD - but they just stopped turning up! The local depot said "it's just not worth our while - you'll have to find a different courier" Adding that the business was in the middle of nowhere and not on their regular rounds. 3m from the centre of Horsham isn't exactly the Styx!

I think, if I do this all over again, I'll offer 'free' shipping and just build the shipping cost into the margin like everyone else offering free shipping does. Then people feel they are getting a bargain, even if it's late and save no end of angry phone calls!

Bottom line is - have sympathy for the little companies. If they are ripping you off, it's probably because the couriers are ripping them off.

Si