Sealing bottom edge of Roller door

Having been up the workshop painting today I've noticed a little problem with water.

It was absolutely lashing down and the water was coming in a little at one point of the door. Where the roller door comes down onto the concrete it's not level and one part is probably ~1.5" lower.

Has anyone got any ides for some kind of seal? I've not found anything yet in my searches.

Cheers :)

Roller doors are all useless when it rains, if there is any kind of wind blowing against them. The only real solution is to make the concrete floor with a lowered lip at the edge for the door to drop into, but that isn't much help if you already have it. I've got vague plans to make a Z shaped bit of steel that is riveted to the door skirt and sticks out past the edge of the concrete and drops an inch or so down over it - that way most of the water will run down the door, out over the bit of steel and off the edge of the slab. It will still get in the corners, but at least it won't flood my garage.

That or build the garage on a slope so the water runs back out :)

• 2 weeks later...

That looks very similar to what I cooked up using some old cable floor ducting (no idea what the proper name for it is - the rubber 'ramps' that are used to run cables across office floors and the like without creating a trip hazard. I scrounged some for the garage two houses back, which had been built with rather generous clearance at the bottom of the door (leaves and rubbish blowing in was more of an issue than water - big drifts of them), and it migrated to the garage after that. Worked very well, was tough and as it wasn't bolted down it could be easily moved out of the way if necessary (for instance to drag something without wheels in or out).

I think I'd always want something like this now, even if there weren't problems with water or litter ingress as it also cuts the draughts down dramatically - makes the garage a much nicer place to work in the winter, and a lot easier to keep clean when painting and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

I did something similar with my old garage - a piece of 1x6" timber sealed and siliconed to the floor just inside the door, so that the door came down immediately in front of it. Diverts most of the water, I suppose it would divert leaves and rubbish but since we don't have any trees I'm not sure!!

I've also been looking recently at the brushes that are made to stop drafts/rain coming in around the sides of the door and the gap along the top - anybody got any views on how effective these are? I find in the winter that if there is very fine powdery snow around on a windy day, it blows up through the gap where the "roll" is along the top, and have been pondering what to do about this but a brush seal seems like the best idea. It isn't a big problem as we don't get a lot of snow, but it happens, and with 240V electrics on the inside of the door, I'm not keen on it getting damp!