what are these :

Anderzander

Make more money per unit selling RR + Evoques to china and those countries not in recession + cash rich....

The question is (and I hate to be the one to pose it)... but what do you think will happen to UK plants when the Chinese plant comes on line and scale up their capability). I'm not protectionist as it is afterall all about profit for the marque and it's been a very long time since I bought a real genuine landrover part made by landrover and not one of their parts suppliers. At the moment I thought it was near enough CKD and the bits are shipped in containers. I'm sure the soft skills (product design & development etc) will still stay firmly here, but the market in china for the product is very strong so making the product there (if they put in presses etc) will only reduce the tin pressing here + partial assembly (if they are CKD, which I thought they were at present).

Doubt the UK plants will be affected, they've just had major investments which will have been planned and financed long term.

There's probably very little incentive for LR to develop military vehicles, especially when they can sell absolutely everything they can make already - why gamble on winning MOD tenders which only buy vehicles in batches years apart.

I delivered a car for shipping at Southampton docks a couple of months ago and was amazed to see the numbers of new LR's and Jags parked up - thousands - with a constant stream arriving on trains and trucks, all going on to ships for export. Very good to see.

Like the look of those Iveco's though, hope they start coming through Withams soon :)

The problem is the Military market is relatively small compared to civilian and there has been a move towards special purpose vehicles to meet a particular demand or environment. These are only ordered in small quantities.

It has generally fallen on smaller companies such as Jankel & Ricardo to supply these based on existing platforms.

Also, Military spend on vehicles will decline sharply when we move out of Afgan and the suppliers are expecting the next ten years or so to be fairly thin. I imagine Land Rover, looking at these factors decided that they could make more out of RR's & Ewoks and it just wasn't worth the development cost.

Over this time frame, there will be more requirement for lightly armoured vehicles which 'look' like normal unarmoured ones. The reason for this is they are less conspicuous and the local residents don't feel like they are being invaded again. As it looks like a soft target, the locals will not waste the 'big guns' on it - so the occupants are more likely to survive than if they were driving an APC. Land Rovers even in civilian colours still look more like a military vehicle where something like a Toyota 70 series look less threatening.

The Iveco is a really nice truck. I've seen one up close - and it looks very menacing!

Si

That Whippet thing is a bit like the old Lohr Fardier..... but to get back to the OP, the Iveco's have a great front axle (OK the drive shafts are a bit fragile) but the lock on them is superb compared to a 110.

I am sorry LR seem to have let this get away, ... but then they let the forward control thing pass them by as well, ... along with a huge chunk of the commercial market.