Roof lights and glare.

Nigelw

Been mulling this over whilst I work on another truck but in a few weeks time I hope to have a set of roof bars to mount some roof lights, but this has spawned a new question in my head.

What about the glare off the bonnet when they are switched on?

I drove a truck a while back that had lights on the roof rack and the glare off the bonnet was a bit much for me, just wondered if there was a way round it with the Disco?

Dare I say it ...?

They always look a bit tacky to me ....

Did you really just say that :P

It is not so much a huge round 100W spot X4 but more 3 of the 18" LED light bars I have seen, smaller in size but for my needs should pump out enough light, will review further when lights arrive, maybe a matt black bonnet would look cool on my aspen silver Disco?

I never really noticed a problem with said issue on either my Defenders or The Disco, yeah sure it lights the bonnet up but it didn't bother me, could be something to do with the angle of the beam?

That said, the defender has a black wheel on the bonnet and the Disco does have a black vinyl "glare" sticker on the bonnet (better than painting it in my opinion).

I like my roof lights but mainly because they're all mounted to roof racks, my 90 did have a light bar when I got it, but I never put it back on as somehow I didn't think it looked so good.

Nigel is in Belgiumland just like me, and I had no problem passing the local MOT like this:

sKQ0ER1h.jpg

PLEASE Read what I posted. Yes I know where Nigel is that's why I posted what I did.

Also why I posted about the 1960's rally cars. I didn't mention the Belgium and French cars that used that idea because I thought he'd understand where the cars were from.

Nigel is in Belgiumland just like me, and I had no problem passing the local MOT like this:

sKQ0ER1h.jpg

Now I have seen your plate I also now know I have followed you down the Diestersteenweg also!!!

I have plans to have the mahoosive hoop on the bumper kitted out with a couple of smaller LED light bars to come on with the full beam but wanted to have a half cage originally with external front hoop and had this nice vision of it being kitted out with some nice light bars to give me extra visibility when night driving off road.

It was more something I wanted to have than something I really needed, in reality I "NEED" nothing more than just my headlights but would like some greater visibility when it gets dark.

A guy on xrover who goes by the handle Defke is also the owner of DefParts and they do some swish little light bars and I built this vision around them, but like I say the idea of bonnet glare came up from a past experience and I wondered how best to overcome it?

In a car with no roof flights ?!

I'm lost !

You are as easily confused as me then :hysterical:

Still wondering why there was an opmerking voor stuurwiel staat op mijn keuringbewijs :unsure::unsure::unsure:

When I get round to it you guys can all have a chuckle at my expense :ph34r:

Most likely because in the UK they are illegal :moglite:

They used to be many years ago , but not so now : providing if they are used on the road , they go out when headlamps are dipped, and are not used so as to cause dazzle to other drivers.

Their effectiveness is a different matter , re glare etc , to overcome glare as posted you need to move them back so as to put the bonnet in shadow . The reason to fit , is to illuminate the track (ie offroad, or on bush tracks ) so that depth of holes can be seen , low level lights dont work well in this respect , not that it is advised to travel at night off road , or on bush tracks for that reason.

In fog , snow heavy rain roof lights are as much use as a chocolate teapot > when roo shooting they are useful . HTSH

• Like 1

They used to be many years ago , but not so now : providing if they are used on the road , they go out when headlamps are dipped, and are not used so as to cause dazzle to other drivers.

Their effectiveness is a different matter , re glare etc , to overcome glare as posted you need to move them back so as to put the bonnet in shadow . The reason to fit , is to illuminate the track (ie offroad, or on bush tracks ) so that depth of holes can be seen , low level lights dont work well in this respect , not that it is advised to travel at night off road , or on bush tracks for that reason.

In fog , snow heavy rain roof lights are as much use as a chocolate teapot > when roo shooting they are useful . HTSH

They are still illegal. You will not find anything in lighting regulations look elsewhere.

However glare is no problem if you follow my first post.

I use mine for sub 5mph off road only

At this speed the glare does not affect your vision detrimentally

I could fit some kind of a shield/visor but then I would lose the light down low to

Illuminate stuff to my immediate right and left and also handy to cast some light around the winch and immediate areas

With the lights on it has the effect of daytime, but they must be off once you pick up speed as you simply cannot see the road properly

Funny thing, my headlights on the very rare occasion I manage to use high beam are very good.

When rallying I took the 55W H2 lamp out of my Marechal spot/ drive combination and fitted 100W lamps to those lights. I soon took them out and replaced them with the 55W because of over glare. Coming up to a road sign it was impossible to to see the road because of the reflections off the road sign.

I've never liked roof lights. When all is said and done they are pretty pointless unless you are doing the Camel Trophy, high speed night driving to fast through deep mud or crossing lots and lots of deep rivers at night. Who does that?

I sat down in my 110 one night out on a drove road and marked out the bad bits and the good bits of standard lights with decent bulbs. Low beam is fine. High beam leaves a narrow band half way down it's light beam. I then spent 4 years looking for some decent spots that didn't cost the earth, didn't look cr&p, were sacrificial and didn't look highly theft worthy. I've now got a nice 10quid pair of Rally Giants bolted to the winch mount, set to illuminate the narrow bit on high beam and working off the high beam. Legal with C&U regs. Cheap. Strong and they actually do the job properly.

Having said that, I do like that mount on the P38. It's subtle. It will work well and without doubt these uber-bling LED bars do put out some light. It would also be difficult to nick quickly.

When I get round to it I am going to mount a work light to the front of my roof rack...

Sorry but I'm feeling argumentative today. Provide proof that roof lights are illegal please.

Going by the highway code 103 to 158, any light can be used legally until it dazzles an oncoming driver, which then comes down to not the items but the driver safe control and operation. As long as the lights are switched with your high beam function then they are just another set of driving lights.

Quote " You MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse users" - its not about what you have its about how you use.

Try living near high populations of wild animals that run out in front of you like deer, any extra light up front is a bonus gives you a fighting chance of spotting them and slowing your vehicle before they jump.

:P

What regulations are you referring too?

As per "The road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989" No 1796 schedule 5, does it anywhere restrict the number and location of lighting in fact...

Part II requirements relating to optional Main beam headlamps:

"Any number may be fitted and the only requirement prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7, 10 and 12(a) of Part I, in the case of motor vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1991, paragraph 5 of Part I."

"Paragraph 7 Colour: - White or yellow"

"Paragraph 10 Electrical connections:-

(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be constructed that the light emitted therefrom

(i) can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or

(ii) can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either -

(A) causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or

(B)causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam

(b) Where a matched pair of main beam headlamps is fitted they shall be cable of being switched on and off simultaneously and not otherwise."

"Paragraph 12(a)

(a) Every main beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the direction of the beam of light emitted therefrom can be adjusted whilst the vehicle is stationary."

The Amendments of the regulation 2005 also don't change the above. I'm struggling to understand why our Land Rover's don't have to comply with UK government legislation when it seems every other road vehicle does have to...

Read construction and use. It conflicts nicely with lighting regulations.

For instance under lighting regulations you can fit an auxilary light but it doesn't need to work.

Under construction and use any light fitted must work.

The spare on the back door of a Defender doesn't comply with construction and use. Not sure about a Series as I've never measured one.