Engine-specific bunfight thread

FridgeFreezer

Since this is, technically, a bunfight thread, and I feel the urgent need to scrub myself with domestos after seeing that supercharged clusterfawk on ebay, I submit to you the 500 BHP V-twin twin-turbo 'Harley' Orca engine.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/113orca.htm

Ahhhh, that's better.

Al.

500bhp in a harley? ive never seen one doing more than about 40mph! :ph34r:

Aw pants - it IS early in the morning.

The irony is I actually MEANT mgh I just wrote mpg... but no-one's gonna believe that now, so I should just not mention anything, then sneak back and edit it so it looks like you need the glasses! :ph34r: tee hee hee :ph34r:

Al. Bleary-eyed.

Can we move that to Friday John? he keeps running away on "work" related "official" business

my ar*e! he just hides in that store room for a day :ph34r:

Hey - I Thought TTPOOAT was everyday anyway??? If it's not, why am I constantly taking flak!? :P

Anyway - those 'Tuesday Trips' are for my :ph34r: 'other hobby' :ph34r: Jez, and not work related. - And to get away from you 'orrible lot.

Nothing I do is work related, I would have thought you'd figured this out by now...? ;)

Al. On Holiday as of 16 hours ago, and still at work.

Al. On Holiday as of 16 hours ago, and still at work.

Boo hoo - I was supposed to be off yesterday but noooo I had to urgently drive to bleedin' Swansea first thing where it turned out they didn't actually need me at all, got home about midnight yesterday :angry:

Got pretty much the whole of next week off though so planning on being in the lab for a fair portion of it :D

Boo hoo - I was supposed to be off yesterday but noooo I had to urgently drive to bleedin' Swansea first thing where it turned out they didn't actually need me at all, got home about midnight yesterday :angry:

Got pretty much the whole of next week off though so planning on being in the lab for a fair portion of it :D

One of the nicest engines I have ever beasted off road was in a Grand Cherokee - the 2.7ltr five cylinder Daimler Chrysler lump. It matched the drive train so perfectly. Nice

How about engines you would never fit to an off roader? Forget comp motors or street sleepers, just challenge/endurance stuff. Allow for the massive differences between UK/Europe/EX USSR/AussieLand/USA?Far East and forget one day events with minimal mileage..

Going on from the 'Engines You Would Never Fit' query:

Peugeot 1.6GTI/1.9GTI. XUD 1.9/2.1 - ahhhhhhghhhhhhhggggggblurg

Nissan 2.8IL6 Non Turbo - simply no low end grunt at all

Land Rover 2.25 Diesel - NOOOOOOOO!

427Hemi - far too much power for any off road vehicle, off road drivetrain, but very nice when squeezed into a Barracuda. Opt for the Chevy 327 or the Ford 302 Cleveland (slightly nicer than the Windsor)

Ford 'Y' Block V8's - Bluargh!

Peugeot 2.1/2.3 oil burners - nononononononono

Rover V8 - oh has it gone wrong again?

Ford 1.8D - one of the few engines less reliable than a Rover V8

Mercedes 2.3Petrol - 146ft/lb at 4000rpm :lol:

Ford 2.3V6 - whywhywhywhy?

Hmm, some interesting options there, what about a ford TDCi...although i am particually partial to the VW diesel engines, if there was a way of mounting one of those with a decent auto box to the tranny box (LT230?) then it would make a fantastic machine :)

There is always a way. I put a 1.9 TD in my Series. Too bad some a-hole cut me off causing me to hit

a cement barrier and roll on the side, also damaging the engine. Now I have to rebuilt the engine and

put everything on a new frame. Specifics and pics at: http://www.66rover.com/

Jim Hall

1966 88" 1.9TD Elephant Chaser

1964 88" Roadrunner

1987 RR unnamed

Welcome Jim, nice write up and hope you get it all sorted again.

I liked your way of getting the crank machines out. I cheated and pulled the crank when I wanted a bigger (LR size) spigot bush in the Jag 4.2.

Why did you not use the VW flywheel though?

Welcome Jim, nice write up and hope you get it all sorted again.

I liked your way of getting the crank machines out. I cheated and pulled the crank when I wanted a bigger (LR size) spigot bush in the Jag 4.2.

Why did you not use the VW flywheel though?

Because it is a screwy setup, at least the one I had. I thought it would be really hard to get it to work. I

also knew the Samurai folks doing the 1.9 swap use a Toy flywleel as it is easy to adapt. Good news is I

got the head off and it doesn't look like any rods got bent. Still lots of work left though. I read that people

using the VNT 15 on a 1.6 are getting almost 90 wheel hp, so it should be nice when I get mine on. Doing

this swap almost makes me want to put something else in my RR. It still has the 3.5 AFAIK, though it does

run very well, easily pulling away from 3.9s. I have no idea why.

Thanks. I had wanted something with more power as it's no fun going up the mountain passes at 35 with

even large trucks whizzing by. The only downside is now the front suspension is a little stiffer from losing

the 150 lbs from the swap, and right off tickover, the torque isn't quite as much as the 2.25 lump had. But

at anything above, it is better. I'll pop in every now and then, but as long as the weather is nice, I always

have something to do.

Kinda skimmed over a lot of the stuff so dunno if it's been said/done but I spoke to a guy here the other day - he's running a mid '70's RR with with a 3.0 Merc diesel. Dunno with what gearbox for sure but presume its the original LT95 cause he said he's got an overdrive on it. Said he was getting 30mpg on avrage and it pulls real nice, real smooth...