Engine-specific bunfight thread

FridgeFreezer

I'm planning to pull the Isuzu 4BD1-T from the bushie and put it into the rangie, which will be used for long trips.

For the bushie I am seriously thinking of a Holden Alloytec 190 (alloy, 3.6 litre, variable quad cam, 190kW, V6).

I had to move the 4BD1-T back a long way through the firewall/bulkhead to get it low enough with the Volvo axles, so I am thinking the short length of the little V6 will work better. The rev range will be better than the Isuzu with the 6:1 diff ratio.

post-62-1163760139_thumb.jpg

sweet little lump John - did they hook that to a manual trans?

whats it like in terms of torque delivery?

6 speed manual or 5 speed tiptronic auto box.

190kW at 6500 rpm

340 Nm at 3200 rpm - thanks to variable cams and intake manifold, delivers 90% max torque between 1600 and 5900 rpm.

speaking of more isuzus, theres a 4bd1 attached to a disco on ebay at the mo, appears to be turbod form what i can see.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Isuzu-4BD1-diesel-en...1QQcmdZViewItem

unfortunately it is over the £1000 criteria stipulated at the beginning, but you dont see them too often and at least you get all the bits required with it.

as i understand it, quite heavy, but hey tis an isuzu with a proper cc

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been contemplating one of those for the 109 as it would complete the classic restoration - after all it left the factory with a 2.6lt straight six under the bonnet so would be nice to put one back there :D

The 6-speed sequential gearbox to go with would be quite cool too.

Maybe when time and money allows - so some time in 2025 then :rolleyes:

Canter or Fuso Canter

S/H engines imported from Japan via various outlest or throuth breakersyard.com

Very impressive engine but not small

the canter is not exactly small itself

i wonder if they are maybe too big. talk of sticking into a 130 later (than 4bd1) isuzu small truck engines a few weeks ago on outerlimits, i think there were size issues. ipresume the canter lump would be of similar dimensions given it is also of small truck origin. there was beef with alison transsss and the lt230 as well i think.

i have often thought of the canter engine when i've seen tow trucks with said engine around locally. i wonder if anyone's stuck one in a small 4by yet.

the canter is not exactly small itself

i wonder if they are maybe too big. talk of sticking into a 130 later (than 4bd1) isuzu small truck engines a few weeks ago on outerlimits, i think there were size issues. ipresume the canter lump would be of similar dimensions given it is also of small truck origin. there was beef with alison transsss and the lt230 as well i think.

i have often thought of the canter engine when i've seen tow trucks with said engine around locally. i wonder if anyone's stuck one in a small 4by yet.

If you want dims let me know, we have two in the yard with 3.9s and one with a 3.0

• 8 years later...