Tents

Anderzander

Can anyone offer advice or opinion on tents please .....

I'm planning in turning the new 90 over to some touring - My wife, little girl, and I - and I wondered if anyone might share any tent type suggestions ?

I can't afford the trailer tent, full on expedition roof tent stuff - but I haven't been camping since I was a lot younger and used to use a bivvy bag.

Second hand would be fine - but brand and type suggestions would be good.

With having a CSW I think I'll have to look at roof top storage to make it happen too.

We do a lot of camping and have a variety of tents for each scenario. For general family camping out of the 110 we use a decathlon two bedroom pop up. However if your child is young you may consider a single room pop up. For such tents I always work on the premise of adding an extra sleeping spot in order to have additional space for kit.

Another vote for quecha pop up tents we have 3 different ones now we have a seconds xl (two man) a family 4.2 (four man two sleeping compartments) and a base xl (living area no sleeping compartment). As has been said depending on how kids are will dictate the sleeping arrangements but I wouldn't buy any other pop up as without spending double the amount none come close to quecha.

IMAG1701-20140603-172209.jpg

Mike

I have the Quecha 2 man and 3 man "2 Seconds Air" tents and they're great, and later got the 4 man Quecha 4.2 seconds base tent, which is very good too, with two 2-man pods and a central room. Light and quick, and surprisingly dry in heavy rain and storms.

Great ! Thank you all.

And Mike looks like you have a little person airing down your trailer tyre there .... Was it prep for rock crawling ? :)

So - tent brand selected - where do you all carry them ?

Are those aerodynamic roof box things any good ?

Bet you can't guess where I carry mine. I will add we also use (until I get the ibex finished) a 90 csw but with two kids hence the trailer option. But back when it was just two of us the seconds xl used to sit on top of the spare wheel in the back of the tomcat nicely so you could strap it to the spare on the back. The only problem with roof boxes on a 90 is it's a long way up so you will either need space on a roof rack to stand by the side of it up there or a step ladder.

Mike

P.S. the wife just pointed out look for small sleeping compartments as they stay warmer. The only down side is you WILL get wet if you pack it up wet. Our 4.2 withstood 40mph winds on north uist this year.

Thought I'd use this as a flagrant opportunity to post a few snaps.

Thought the Quechua 2" tent was fairly fitting. The best bit is that it's roughly the size of the spare so it just straps to that in the boot of the RR.

My other on the road recommendation is the travel hammock. I have a bunch of them at this stage, they're all double hammocks (as in for two) made from para-nylon and all come from Ticket to the Moon

The two in the pic are both hanging from my RR. One from each of the (Thule) roof bars. And you only need a tree/post/other vehicle and up they go with a couple of bow lines on a bight for adjustment. They pack down to about the size of a melon, and make a fine head rest in that form.

The washing line's another story.

post-1811-0-67141100-1414539818_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-85776800-1414540231_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-05847900-1414540256_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-66873600-1414540259_thumb.jpg

If you wanted to spend a little more or get something a bit more stable in wind, i've found Wild Country tents are great.

Their parent company is Terra Nova who make exceptionally good (and expensive) stuff and you get a lot of trickle down of ideas with Wild Country - you just pay a vary small weight penalty which you won't notice unless you're hiking with it on your back! Also, you're not paying the fashion tax you pay with North face etc.

Unless you are going to be operating in known dry conditions a cheap caravan is a better bang for the buck , I used a roof top for some trips in Australia , but in wet conditions it can all rapidly become a right PITA trying to dry and keep stuff dry. Especially if you are wanting to move on a regular basis. JMHO

Roof tents are great if it's dry I found unless you've a clam shell one that are much better in the wet. I have a Auzzy swag, hammock and tent and for Europe I've returned to a full length bed in the defender. The caranex might be another option if you like being able to return to the car when it's wet etc.

Vango are good. I've been using them for about 35 years (ouch). They are made in Scotland (Vango is an anagram of Govan!) and their service is excellent. When I bought one, the internal divider between the two betdrooms was no the right size. The reseller (whose name I've forgotten at the mo) was excellent. He said just send it back. We send it up to Vango, and they repair or replace. Even if you rip it or burn it or whatever later in its life, tehy have a repair service. You do get what you pay for though, and they are probably pricier than the French Quechua ones. Glaswegian wages must be higher than French ones!

I do a lot of camping on the bike and for me and my mates all have the Kyham range.

My 3 berth folds up small and light enough to get on the back of the bike,

No messing with poles as it has umberella type knuckle joints and if its raining it is up in a few mins.

A seperate groundsheet is a good idea, also a good point made about having small rooms is a lot easier to warm up than one large room.

Another tip a nurse told me, no matter how cold you are always remove your clothes when you get into your sleeping bag, as its your body heat that warms the bag up. If you leave you clothes on, your body heat wont be able to penetrate through all the layers to the bag.

Another tip a nurse told me, no matter how cold you are always remove your clothes when you get into your sleeping bag, as its your body heat that warms the bag up. If you leave you clothes on, your body heat wont be able to penetrate through all the layers to the bag.

It took me 6 months to convince a girlfriend that I was not just trying to get in her knickers when I told her that. When she finally gave in she was amazed at how much warmer she was and that it was nothing to do with me either.

Mike

We had the same question earlier this year. In the end we decided against roof tents as we like to leave the campsite and come back to everything as we want it. We were pretty set on one of the 60 second jobs but there's a lot of talk of condensation on the web. Second to that I'm a Scout leader and for my money nothing beats canvas for strength or longevity. So we ended up with a 4m canvas bell tent and its brilliant. Incredibly sturdy, no real condensation issues and takes 5 minutes for two of us to put up. It's also very quiet compared to nylon and the ground sheet unzips from the rest so can be chucked over the defender to dry before packing.

As far as I know it's warmer to sleep in the buff (or fresh clothes) because sweat builds up in the cloth and then evaporates when you're in the bag cooling you down. Either way it's definitely warmer without even if you haven't anyone to share with!

I tend to use my fleece rolled up as a pillow and keep the rest of my clothes in the sleeping bag with me (but not on me) to dry them out.

I've had several Kyham tents which have been excellent - but the last one was not as well made as previous, so I assume they moved production to another far off country?! To replace it I bought a 3 man pop up tent - Quecha XL 2"

$_86.JPG

And it's the best tent I've owned to date! It obviously just pops up in 2 seconds - but unlike most of the competition, folding is dead easy - achieved by pulling a couple of draw-strings and it folds itself! It also has several vents you can open from the inside if it gets too hot.

I've used it half a dozen times now and it beats the pants off the previous Kyhams.

Si

Another vote for Quecha....

Have two flavours now, 3 man & 4 man.... Both have been used in adverse conditions and stood up to wind & rain admirably.

Putting them away is a nack as we don't have any of the clever strings that Simon refers to, but easy enough when you know how...

As they pack into flat discs, I travel with them standing flat against the dog guard.

post-1475-0-13536600-1415610191_thumb.jpg

post-1475-0-18569700-1415610205_thumb.jpg

post-1475-0-38663000-1415610196_thumb.jpg

post-1475-0-94236900-1415610200_thumb.jpg

Neil