Mud terrains

Keeper96

Hi guys

Needing a new set of tyres for my 90 and have decided on mud terrains with the amount of snow expected and also with the shooting season in full swing now.

Looking at something in the £80 ish per tyre range, what's out there and where should I look?

Not wanting remoulds either I should add.

Thanks

Jamie

Okay cheers guys, so realised that my budget was a bit tight, what's a good option in that bracket then?

50/50 on and off road but the off road is too much for most a/t tyres as I found out last season haha plus I've moved since then and living in glen Esk ATM and been warned about snow in the winter.

Also there will be a couple of 200-300 mile motorway trips at 55mph every couple of months. Will remoulds be okay?

Cheers

ive run insa turbo dakars for the last 18months and they have been very good, granted the truck in now offroad only so havent seen a road for 6 months but ive driven at 70+ on the motorway with them on for hours on end with 3.5ton behind my discovery (ok so nearer 50 with a trailer......)and they where fine...

so i wouldnt discount remoulds.

I agree, All Terrains are much better in snow, though both behave predictably.

I've done quite well buying 1 tyre at a time on eBay. Often people buy a set of 5. When the ones on the wheels have worn out, they sell the 5th, often hardly used. Because people generally want to buy 4 or 5, single ones go for a lot less.

Last one was £65 for a 255x85x16 MT on a wolf rim, delivered!

So long as you don't want them all tomorrow, this would easily be within budget

Si

Hi,

I agree with Si, I have bought my last few tyres via ebay a tyre at a time for both LR and my car.

By being careful I got peoples spare tyres some with only ten miles on them. I did chose to buy within a radius that I could collect where possible though one was delivered.

There are a few downsides,

It will take time.

You need to look out for side wall damage.

You may have to buy the wheel aswell and get it removed.

Good luck,

Marc

The pickup is coming up for new tyres and I want some ats. I fancy general grabber at but the tyre place recommend Cooper discoverer at3. They will do them fitted balanced new valve and get rid of the old tyre for 99 Inc vat each. That's a 245 70 16 but seems a good deal.

I had Discoverer AT2s on my old Land Cruiser, and they were very good - worked well in all conditions (on road - wet/dry/snow etc), lasted well and weren't noisy. I didn't try them in mud though, but I think they are more the road end of AT than the extreme end. I'd have no reservations putting them on again...

Hi guys

Needing a new set of tyres for my 90 and have decided on mud terrains with the amount of snow expected and also with the shooting season in full swing now.

Looking at something in the £80 ish per tyre range, what's out there and where should I look?

Not wanting remoulds either I should add.

Thanks

Jamie

As others have said. You'll probably need to up your budget a bit.

In terms of snow use. AT's work well on ice and compacted snow. This is due to the sipes they often have that MT's usually don't. MT's will be better in fresh deeper snow however and of course night and day difference if you are on wet snow covered mud.

Did you have a size in mind?

Personally I quite like the look of the Federal Couragia. It's a new tyre not a remould and looks like it should be a good all purpose MT and has some sipes too.

http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=&id=32300

32300_1_l.jpg

Another new tyre for similar money is the Silverstone MT-117 Sport. They look aggressive but run really well on the road and are approx £90-95 a tyre.

But sometimes a little hard to find.

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres/silverstone/mt-117-sport/

285_75r16_silverstone_mt-117_sport.jpg

Kingpin MT's are a remould but do for your original budget.

http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=&id=32394

32394_1_l.jpg

Tyres have gone £££ in price gone are the days of £44 205 Kingpin remoulds!

My BFG KM2's were £150 ea But they will last 10 years probably more as I don't do the mileage now days Then again I don't fancy wrecking one trialling so I'm trying to get some Diamonds sorted which I thought I managed but the guy on Ebay isnt playing ball