'shrinking' my 90 to fit in the garage...

jackmac

another vote for some rims; you only need two, so not a biggy. Alternatively, from your avatar, it looks like you have an external cage; this adds quite a bit of height which you could change to an external/internal cage if you wanted to, mine does not add any height. Also, drop the ride height a bit?

daan

It adds a lot of height, but rear internal would not be suitable for winch challenges. Funny enough my parents first suggestion was 'just cut off the top of all that tubing, it'll fit easily then'.

I would like to go for some softer springs at some point, but not before this weekend!

Well you can't say that there's a shortage of answers! All that faffing around with wheels/winches would drive me 'round the bend - why not let the tyres down just enough for clearance, creep the car in & then put a jack under each rear corner just to take the weight off the tyres? Re-inflate once the car is out side again, then all that's needed is a couple of jacks (which most of us have anyway) & either a battery powered (assuming no mains supply) compressor or even a foot-pump which will give you exercise as well.........job done!

I did the same as fridgefreezer - raised the garage door up by removing the 6" wooden section above, then fastened the wood to the bottom of the door. Then with a little bit of rubbing the 90 drove in. When I sold the house I spent an afternoon lowering the door back down and tacked the 6" wide wood back where it came from. Worked a treat.

ok, time for a stupid idea :)

Cut a hole in the floor of the 90 above the rear axle, pass a lifting strap through the hole and around the axle. Then place a trolley jack in the back, loop lifting strap over it and you can jack the 90 lower :)

Told you it was a stupid idea ;)

It's in! Let some air out of the tyres, and then had a helpful assistant hang off the back of the roll cage which brought the back low enough to get me in with 1/2" to spare. When I have to take it out next time and nobody is about, I'll have to try a different method :)

Ben was looking at getting some old rims, but putting blocks of wood in the rims so they didn't dig into the ground. Just get some 2x4 and a hammer and your away. Supposedly some plant / fork lift trucks something like that where they are likely to pick up punctures.

I have an old disco wheel / tyre that was my spare (it's a little under sized now :)) that you can have. It'd get you half way there!.

Got the technique finalised now ;) I treated myself to the twin cylinder compressor from paddocks as it's on offer at the moment. So the way to get it in/out now is put the rear tyres down to about 5psi, then attach a strop to the rear recovery point going under the axles (to save the rope rubbing on them), front winch rope onto that and carefully winch in. The rope just about sits against the drag link but hasn't bent it :)

I want to splice the bit of rope I used back onto the other 'half' of it at some point, and 80ft of rope is a PITA to spool on on your own with only 2ft space in front of the car! So will try and pick up a short length from somewhere, I'm sure Mr Marsden down the road must have a few bits lying around somewhere...

• Like 1