Open Ended Ratchet Spanners

stuck

Got one or two think I used one for the bellhousing bolts on a 3.9 disco when changing the engine due to space restrictions. Did the job needed. Nothing against them but don't think they will stand up to a pole / bar on the end of one for leverage like my Gedore ring spanners have

I've got a set of Facom metric spanners like that (plus a couple of similar Stanley imperial ones).

TBH I bought them because they were cheap (for Facom) and because I struggle to resist Facom tools like the last Rolo.

When you find the situation where you need them, they are brilliant. Mostly for putting stuff together though, if the nuts at all second hand looking, or the thread isn't clean, they will struggle.

Also, keep them in a separate drawer, otherwise you'll not notice you've got the wrong spanner out until you're on your back under the car. :angry2:

40R17DET.jpg

When I referred to them being a gimmick I meant only the "ratcheting" open ended spanners the OP was asking about. Not ratchet spanners in general.

Allow me to qualify my earlier statement:

During the 10years I spent as a professional mechanic I didn't use the open end ratchet spanners much, I bought a snap on set and then sold them on as I found them next to useless. In all cases where they could be of use I either had another tool which was better suited to the task, or the access was restricted and therefore did not allow them to swing far enough to "ratchet" around the flats of the fixing.

I always thought of them as a nice idea of limited practical use, hence my description of them as a gimmick. If you have money to burn and already own every other tool known to man then sure, why not add them to your collection? But personally I think for the majority of forum members there are better/more useful things to spend money on

I bought a couple of sets of Chicago tools open ratchet spanners.

One set for me and one for 'er brother - who is in the trade for 30 odd years.

Neither of us use them

Unlike the Facom multi size ring ratchets which are almost the first tool we both reach for.

They're one of those things similar to the 'thisamazingdrillbitwilldrillanythinghonest' drill bits.... There are always stands selling them, but if they were really that good then they would be far more common. Even if they worked, where is the advantage over the normal-type ratchet ring spanners, you get 60 degrees between each flat, whereas the halfords ones are I think 5Deg between teeth?

In the application I was talking about in my original post I couldn't get a ratcheting ring spanner in as the stud & nut were too close to the bend of the manifolds.

I could get an open ended spanner on but it was a royal pain in the arse to take the spanner off after each part turn, relocate the spanner and start again.

I'm going to buy a set & give them a go.

The application I can think of is lower shock absorber nuts on the front axle. Some shocks have long pins which means that if you do it up with a ratchet ring spanner you can't then get it off.

That's exactly what I use them for! Mine are Facom, given by a good friend, not used much but sometimes extremely handy as nothing else will do.

I've got a set of Facom metric spanners like that (plus a couple of similar Stanley imperial ones).

TBH I bought them because they were cheap (for Facom) and because I struggle to resist Facom tools like the last Rolo.

When you find the situation where you need them, they are brilliant. Mostly for putting stuff together though, if the nuts at all second hand looking, or the thread isn't clean, they will struggle.

Also, keep them in a separate drawer, otherwise you'll not notice you've got the wrong spanner out until you're on your back under the car. :angry2:

40R17DET.jpg

My old employer kitted all the vans with Facom gear. Absolutely first class.

To your op i reckon the ratcheting spanners would be handy. Even if a different tool is needed to initially crack offending nut etc. if the bolt is long, or the nut on a long thread, they could be useful.