Rustoleum

Anderzander

I Want to pick up some paint for axles and diffs and read some favourable comments, in a number of (very) old threads on here, on Rustoleum......

Can anyone say which sort to get ?

Or even another recommendation would be welcome ?

Ideally something easily available - I think homebase sell Rustoleum ....

Does that need an undercoat ?

And will it cost over a zinc rich primer ?

Ive found it to be happy either way. However i feel if your using POR15 its most effective if you just remove loose rust and then apply by brush relatively thickly.

I've used Rustoleum Combicolour with good results and have just painted it on some axles I'm rebuilding.

It's a bit like Hammerite but better.

David

Thanks David - where do you get it from ?

Ive found it to be happy either way. However i feel if your using POR15 its most effective if you just remove loose rust and then apply by brush relatively thickly.

That's good to know - do you buy it from Frost ?

I seem to remember White90 on here having a dreadful time with por15. I'm sure he had it peel off of a chassis and leave rusty holes that had developed unnoticed underneath.

I've used rustoleum sprays for decorative things I've made, but don't know how well it would cold underneath a land rover.

Maybe there was some form of contaminant on white90's steel? I dont know. All i can say is ive used POR15 on a multitude of things way before i was even into landrovers, and i wouldnt use anything else. Its the toughest paint ive ever seen.

45's chassis is done with por15 it sticks like the proverbial to a rusty surface and stops it getting worse. However it doesn't stick to other paints ever when keyed well. It's peeling off the original paint on the chassis and under body but the rusty bits both steel and aluminium are as good as when I did it 5 years ago.

Mike

Another vote for Combicolor, recommended to me by one of the guys at the local auto paint store, I've been spaying my chassis and other stuff with it, goes on very nicely, its very forgiving, which it needs to be when I have a spray gun in my hand, I tend to be a little heavy with coats but it seems to flow out nicely, It does recommend thin coats and I think it would probably be more chip resistant with a few light coats rather than a heavy coat.

I seem to remember White90 on here having a dreadful time with por15. I'm sure he had it peel off of a chassis and leave rusty holes that had developed unnoticed underneath.

My mate Si now owns White90's old 90, there are still remnants of peeling POR15 attached to it now. Its carp

I'll stick to using International Floor Paint on my steelwork, its cheap, has a good finish even when brushed on and is VERY hardwearing. I use it without any primer. Bishbosh and roguevogue recommended it

Im not understanding the folk that have had bad experiences with POR15. Ive painted mild steel with the stuff on areas that are outside in the elements, dropped tools and equipment on the steel and it doesnt even chip. Maybe i got the only good cans in existance lol :)

Just my 2 cents on Combi colour, it applies well direct to metal with a brush and has stood up well on my axles for for 4 years. I put it on thickly in a cold workshop but it did take a long time to dry properly.

I sprayed the cappings and roll bar 2 years ago over red oxide and that didn't stand up so well, it scratches and rust seems to come through the paint but that could be due to applying it to thin. It has also worn through to the red oxide where the canvas roof rubs on the cappings. All in all it's good stuff though.