Time to start plumbing these winches in...

RocKeR

...so where would one recommend I look to get nylon cable glands for 25/35 mm2 cable? Also, how have people attached the cable to the car when running from front to rear? I thought I would simply cable tie them onto the chassis rail.

Finally, where can I get those nice rubbery winch control switches for mounting externally?

Ta!

For rear winch, an EP9 i picked up at Sodbury for a mere £85 (:D), I will be mounting the battery and contactor insode the car, so I need to run the cables through the floor or out through the side of the winch tray. Also I need to run the split charge cables back into the floor from the chassis rail.

When you say stuck to the rail, Tony, surely you can always get cable ties long enough to go right round?

CEF in Foundry way (Horsham) do the cable glands you refer to.

Si

For rear winch, an EP9 i picked up at Sodbury for a mere £85 (:D), I will be mounting the battery and contactor insode the car, so I need to run the cables through the floor or out through the side of the winch tray. Also I need to run the split charge cables back into the floor from the chassis rail.

When you say stuck to the rail, Tony, surely you can always get cable ties long enough to go right round?

Annother option if you really want to go belts and braces is to weld studs (or nuts) to the chassis rail and use P-clips.

I'm starting to see why your progress is SO slow, I have never heard of such a completely ridiculous waste of time and materials.

I'm starting to see why your progress is SO slow, I have never heard of such a completely ridiculous waste of time and materials.

Agreed ........... if you want to do that then its probably better to use a hilti and fire 3/8 studs in with red /black charges ......prolly better then Will's welding by all accounts :rolleyes:

Even P clips self tapped in the chassis is still a bit OTT (although a nice finish) ........ commercial aerial riggers cable ties will do the job nicely ........ wide enough that they wont dig into the cable and super strong. ;)

Ian

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can't you get a tubular chassis with the wires pre run. As it's tubular there will be no chance of chaffing! ;)

Steve

Annother option if you really want to go belts and braces is to weld studs (or nuts) to the chassis rail and use P-clips.

Not sure how that would cope with the mud/rust. Why not cross drill the studs before welding them to the chassis then you could fasten your P-clips with stainless R-clips for quick easy assembly/dissassembly when you need to the upgrade.

:hysterical:

I read in one of the mags that Simon Buck does this on the vehicles he builds, because he has some major hang up about cable ties. Me, well I keep about 1000 on hand "just in case" :)

As has already been said Graham, CEF for the glands, Cables run along the top of the Chassis and cable tied to the chassis/whatever is there.

By rubbery waterproof switches, I presume you mean the toggle type in/out switches? I got mine from SED in Guildford (on the slyfield ind estate) alternatly, Tail lift switches are water proof - also available from SED or there are plenty on eBlag.

Mark

Graham, you do have friends to hand in Horsham.

Why do you lay yourself open to the weird and wonderfull rantings from the likes of Will Worm?

I thought I'd try and step out into the big wide world on my own, dad, but there's scary people out there! :wacko:

Sorry Graham, I dissagree! I've not done this yet as I've been too busy making watercooled fairleads :P

Seriously, I've always used cableties to hold my wiring to the top of the chassis (both front and rear). I've never had any issues and I'm going to continue doing it that way.