Land Rover Heritage

elbekko

They have finally realised what a large amount of money they have missed out on when they cut back on parts supply under BMW and Ford who didnt know the business they were buying . which was further reinforced with the lack of success under those owners.

I just hope it doesn't use the same web platform as Audi's similar offering 'Audi Tradition', just the most awful webshop experience ever made.

Achingly slow, and no apparent search function unless you happen to stumble upon stuff accidentally it is impossible to find what you want.

http://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Welcome.do

I just hope it doesn't use the same web platform as Audi's similar offering 'Audi Tradition', just the most awful webshop experience ever made.

Achingly slow, and no apparent search function unless you happen to stumble upon stuff accidentally it is impossible to find what you want.

http://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Welcome.do

I dunno, I just tried using it, and it doesn't seem so bad? The deeper in the categories you go, the slower it does appear to get. There's a search box in the upper right corner, that appears to search within the category that's currently open.

I thought LR had an 'old parts' thing before that I forget the name of? Thought they canned that?

They did, I have it labelled as 'Archive' on my PC, finding the actual CD might be harder.

In the What's New section it is described as :

RAVE:..........................................ARCHIVE, Disc Part Number:.....................LRL0552ENG

and covered the RR Classic, the D1, and the Freelander to 01 model year. The Technical Bulletins were omitted.

This was just Workshop Manual type information, not parts listings.

I also have a 'Classic Parts' CD, on which the Land Rover copyright notice is dated 2004. This claims to cover parts 1989 to 1994 and was apparently run in conjunction with the Heritage centre at Gaydon.

I don't recall who owned the Land Rover brand at these times.

My personal opinion is that these activities (Archive, Classic Parts, Heritage) fall down because of the high overheads associated with being part of the manufacturer. I have no experience of the dealership process under TATA, but it used to be that LR Dealers would offer you the LR part, at say £450, but when you coughed and spluttered they would offer the aftermarket equivalent at £150. There was, and will continue to be, the suspicion that many LR parts were the aftermarket part in a LR box.

True, Ford stopped even that ego boost by going to cheaper all white boxes, with one LR sticker, if you were lucky.

Another example of 'not understanding the brand' as alluded to by another poster.

The new operation will have an uphill struggle to establish themselves in the market.

HTH

TBH, I've pinched this contribution from another forum as it more or less validates my historical viewpoint, but adds more detail.

The post stands on its own, so if a Moderator deems the 'borrowing' to be against the ethics of this forum the post can be deleted in its entirety without complaint from me.

Land Rover Gives Classic Parts Another Go
By: Mike Goodbun
Date: 15.04.2015

http://www.lro.com/news/land-rover/1504/land-rover...

Eight years after it last tried supplying genuine parts to classic Land Rover owners via its dealer network, Land Rover is reintroducing a classic parts business under a newly-created heritage division.

Recognising the pride of ownership that’s kept Land Rover going over the past 67 years, Land Rover Heritage, which joins Jaguar Heritage at JLR’s Special Operations, will cater for models that haven’t been made over the past decade.

To begin with, body, trim and servicing parts will mainly be available for Range Rover Classic and P38, as well as Discovery 1 and D2, with selected parts for Series I, II and III.

Land Rover Heritage aims to reintroduce more part numbers over time, manufactured using original tooling methods. They will all carry a warranty, although terms vary, depending on the part.

Additionally, Land Rover has confirmed it will supply replacement parts for Defenders for 15 years after the model goes out of production. So, after 2030, Defender parts will fall under the Heritage Parts scheme.

That’s assuming Heritage Parts lasts longer than its loss-making predecessor. In 2004, four years before Tata took over, Land Rover launched Land Rover Classic Parts. The logistics side of LRCP was handled by Unipart’s Automotive arm in Cowley, Oxfordshire, but LRCP was wound-up at the end of 2007, while the Jaguar equivalent continued.

In LRO’s December 2007 issue a Land Rover spokesman told us: ‘There has been a steady decline in demand to the point the (Unipart) operation was no longer viable in its current form. Further decline is forecast.’ As we reported in our January 2008 issue, the parts reverted to Land Rover’s standard spares department, handled by Caterpillar, and the Classic Parts brand was dropped.

Some reports suggest only 325 in-demand part numbers were re-added to the standard Land Rover parts inventory, while the rest of the 10,000-strong product line were apparently destroyed.

Unofficially, sources close to the operation suggested Land Rover owners were less willing to pay a premium for genuine parts, compared to Jaguar owners (especially with so many alternatives on offer from the likes of Britpart), but the Range Rover and Discovery-centric product lines can’t have helped.

So, why is Land Rover trying again? The classic car market has continued its relentless rise since 2007, and Range Rover Classics and Series Land Rovers are very much part of that scene. Land Rover wants a slice of the action. It also complements JLR’s heritage programme for Jaguar. As well as the parts business, there will be an increased focus on Land Rover Experience Heritage Drives at a 200-acre test facility in Warwickshire, launching this summer.

Whether enough Land Rover owners choose to buy genuine parts from a Land Rover dealer this time round, rather than OE-spec or reproduction items from a third-party, will surely decide Land Rover Heritage Parts’ fate. We welcome it, and wish it well.

• 2 years later...
On 15-4-2015 at 5:32 PM, David Sparkes said:

TBH, I've pinched this contribution from another forum as it more or less validates my historical viewpoint, but adds more detail.

The post stands on its own, so if a Moderator deems the 'borrowing' to be against the ethics of this forum the post can be deleted in its entirety without complaint from me.

Land Rover Gives Classic Parts Another Go
By: Mike Goodbun
Date: 15.04.2015

http://www.lro.com/news/land-rover/1504/land-rover...

Eight years after it last tried supplying genuine parts to classic Land Rover owners via its dealer network, Land Rover is reintroducing a classic parts business under a newly-created heritage division.

Recognising the pride of ownership that’s kept Land Rover going over the past 67 years, Land Rover Heritage, which joins Jaguar Heritage at JLR’s Special Operations, will cater for models that haven’t been made over the past decade.

To begin with, body, trim and servicing parts will mainly be available for Range Rover Classic and P38, as well as Discovery 1 and D2, with selected parts for Series I, II and III.

Land Rover Heritage aims to reintroduce more part numbers over time, manufactured using original tooling methods. They will all carry a warranty, although terms vary, depending on the part.

Additionally, Land Rover has confirmed it will supply replacement parts for Defenders for 15 years after the model goes out of production. So, after 2030, Defender parts will fall under the Heritage Parts scheme.

That’s assuming Heritage Parts lasts longer than its loss-making predecessor. In 2004, four years before Tata took over, Land Rover launched Land Rover Classic Parts. The logistics side of LRCP was handled by Unipart’s Automotive arm in Cowley, Oxfordshire, but LRCP was wound-up at the end of 2007, while the Jaguar equivalent continued.

In LRO’s December 2007 issue a Land Rover spokesman told us: ‘There has been a steady decline in demand to the point the (Unipart) operation was no longer viable in its current form. Further decline is forecast.’ As we reported in our January 2008 issue, the parts reverted to Land Rover’s standard spares department, handled by Caterpillar, and the Classic Parts brand was dropped.

Some reports suggest only 325 in-demand part numbers were re-added to the standard Land Rover parts inventory, while the rest of the 10,000-strong product line were apparently destroyed.

Unofficially, sources close to the operation suggested Land Rover owners were less willing to pay a premium for genuine parts, compared to Jaguar owners (especially with so many alternatives on offer from the likes of Britpart), but the Range Rover and Discovery-centric product lines can’t have helped.

So, why is Land Rover trying again? The classic car market has continued its relentless rise since 2007, and Range Rover Classics and Series Land Rovers are very much part of that scene. Land Rover wants a slice of the action. It also complements JLR’s heritage programme for Jaguar. As well as the parts business, there will be an increased focus on Land Rover Experience Heritage Drives at a 200-acre test facility in Warwickshire, launching this summer.

Whether enough Land Rover owners choose to buy genuine parts from a Land Rover dealer this time round, rather than OE-spec or reproduction items from a third-party, will surely decide Land Rover Heritage Parts’ fate. We welcome it, and wish it well.

Anybody know if this intention to re-make a number of spare parts has actually become reality? I really wonder what they did with e.g. the waist seals when they were rebuilding the 'new' Classics they built. Is there an overview available of the parts which they have made or planning to make?

On 30-1-2018 at 4:14 PM, Maverik said:

https://www.landrover.co.uk/explore-land-rover/land-rover-classic/genuine-parts.html

I keep meaning to get in touch with them to see what they're now producing...

Received a reply today from LR. Basically it boils down to the fact that they do have the intention to re-produce a number of spare parts and that this will be made public via sites like this one, magazines etc.

In addition, they also confirmed that they have indeed made a number of parts for the reborn line but that these parts were not intended for mass distribution.

If they make a range of top quality parts at decent prices, I'd be very interested. I hate the gamble at the moment, will it fit? Will it last? 

Or will the seals swell up? Will the bearings revert to cheese or will the hoses be missing the hole in the middle?

1 minute ago, Gazzar said:

If they make a range of top quality parts at decent prices, I'd be very interested. I hate the gamble at the moment, will it fit? Will it last? 

Or will the seals swell up? Will the bearings revert to cheese or will the hoses be missing the hole in the middle?

Absolutely. I’m only at the beginning of my RRC restoration but LR needs to undertake a massive effort to enter the very bottom of the league in which Mercedes and Porsche are playing. I wish them well.