How would you assess this?

reb78

Just had a bloke in a Fiat Punto run into the back of me. He's made a complete mess of his car. Damage on mine appears to be that he has bent the plate that holds the towbar electrics and the bottom corner of the driver side quarterpanel and ripped the rear mudguard off that side. I dont think there is any more than that, but what would you look at to assess it properly?

Some pics to put it in context:

post-12362-0-75028200-1442677220_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-85665900-1442677249_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-16068100-1442677277_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-81513000-1442677310_thumb.jpg

It looks like he's gone under the rear crossmember just to drivers side of the towbar, clipped the electric socket for the towbar and pushed that in, then slid under the chassis member and hit the spare wheel which has mashed his bonnet. As an estimate, he might have been betweenb 5-10 mph, possibly less given he should have been slowing for the junction where i was stopped as i waited for a car to pass before i oulled out!

He was pretty apologetic, I've got his details. Usual 'would prefer not to go through the insurance if possible'

I'm, just going out to fix the mudguard and towbar electrics now, but would appreciate any pointers on how to assess for any other damage.

Get busy with a tape measure and compare sides of the chassis. Sometimes it can be easier with string and go from datum to datum eg outer crossmember to shocker mounting etc. pick a set of points that would show if it is out of square (remember it's a landy...it may not be 100% out the box). Check your rear door and the tailgate hinges, if the wheel got struck then it may have sustained some damage too.

It's a punto so not the strongest of vehicles in the first place...it does however confirm your crossmember is solid!

Thanks Scott. String was a great idea. Better than a tape measure.

I've done about five comparisons and they are all pretty much spot on, so I think we're ok.

The rear door is alright, but it was knackered anyway due to rust, so if he has damaged that, it's hard to tell. I have a new one in the loft though!

That's good. Did the 110 even move?

Do you know - i cant actually remember. I was on the foot brake waiting to pull away, so it may have moved a little - i was trying to remember as my thought was if it had, then that might have absorbed some of the impact. Its got an X brake, but that wasnt on at the time.

Some points to remember if you do have to make a claim off him:

• Assuming he has admitted 100% liability (which is generally assumed anyway in rear-end shunts) any claim you make should be off his insurance company and not yours. You should inform yours but you should make it very clear you are not claiming off it, gives them fewer reasons to bump up your premium next year (though unfortunately even the fact that you have been in a 100% not-at-fault accident can do that sometimes).
  • In the event that for example chassis repair was required (unlikely looking at the photos) his insurance company can not decide to just write off your car instead, you have a right to have your property restored to the condition it was in prior to the accident (no improvement though...).

Luckily it looks the the damage to your vehicle is superficial and so the above won't be necessary. That chap looks in for a nasty bill though!

Some points to remember if you do have to make a claim off him:

• Assuming he has admitted 100% liability (which is generally assumed anyway in rear-end shunts) any claim you make should be off his insurance company and not yours. You should inform yours but you should make it very clear you are not claiming off it, gives them fewer reasons to bump up your premium next year (though unfortunately even the fact that you have been in a 100% not-at-fault accident can do that sometimes).
  • In the event that for example chassis repair was required (unlikely looking at the photos) his insurance company can not decide to just write off your car instead, you have a right to have your property restored to the condition it was in prior to the accident (no improvement though...).

Luckily it looks the the damage to your vehicle is superficial and so the above won't be necessary. That chap looks in for a nasty bill though!

Thanks James. Very useful info. I've been under it for the last hour and had a measure as above and i cant find any evidence of bending etc. So, apart from the ripped off mudguard (now fixed) it does look superficial so unless something catastrophic emerges in the next day or so i wont be making a claim.

I think the punto literally slipped under the chassis rail rather than making a massive impact with the crossmember.

Legally, anyone who rear-ends you is 100% at fault.

You need to inform your insurers that you've been involved in an accident, state that you were not at-fault. Pass your insurers the details of the third-party, along with the photos you have. As a matter of principle, inform the Police of the incident - it looks much better in any subsequent court-case if you've done this and the third-party hasn't...!

Any damage to your vehicle - get it assessed by a garage and pass their report to the third-party's insurers, along with the invoice for the assessment. You should also consider action against the third-party for *your* time dealing with the hassle of this incident [i'd suggest £25/hour plus all invoiced expenses as a starting-point]. I call this the "Embuggerance" costs.

If you have 'legal costs' cover, let their appointed claims-management people deal with the hassle.

Last time I got rear-ended [a Corsa rammed my towbar - no mechanical damage except to the trailer-socket, which got mashed and blew the sidelights fuse] I delcared my vehicle "unsafe to drive" because of the lighting issues, so got to drive round in a two-month-old Discovery for a week while a new trailer-socket loom was sourced.

All at the third-party's expense. The Corsa needed £2,500 of panelwork.

Looks like you have escaped with virtually no damage . Are you sure he never hit the OS rear wheel ? If in doubt check by putting something long and straight across the tyre parallel to the ground .

My assessment ? LandRover 1 Fiat 0

And maybe it's time to fix the leaking fuel cap ?

cheers

Steveb

steve b --

And maybe it's time to fix the leaking fuel cap ?

for some reason all pre Td5 110's do that, my '89 does it when the tank is toppers with fuel, I believe it's an effect of the airflow around the rear of the vehicle., but only if fuel is in the filler neck. even with a brand new cap/seal it still gets dragged out.

I'd point at his car and laugh :)
I was driving a ltwt once and a careful driver in a corsa ran into the back of me while I was stopped at a red traffic light. His vehicle was obviously a write off - both headlamps, both wings, front grille, bonnet, slam panel, radiator, were all obviously badly damaged. He just sat in his car and cried. No real damage to the ltwt apart from paint damage. Strange that in the 18 months or so that I drove it - 3 times someone just bashed into it. Must be the camo paint job on it :) :)

Les

Are you sure he never hit the OS rear wheel ? If in doubt check by putting something long and straight across the tyre parallel to the ground.

Pretty sure he didn't. The scrape marks on the chassis stop before/at the lashing eye and that is well before the back of the rear wheel. I looked long and hard at this as I was worried it could have occurred, but I can't see anyway he went that far forwards.

I'd point at his car and laugh :)

I was driving a ltwt once and a careful driver in a corsa ran into the back of me while I was stopped at a red traffic light. His vehicle was obviously a write off - both headlamps, both wings, front grille, bonnet, slam panel, radiator, were all obviously badly damaged. He just sat in his car and cried. No real damage to the ltwt apart from paint damage. Strange that in the 18 months or so that I drove it - 3 times someone just bashed into it. Must be the camo paint job on it :) :)

Les

He was too glum to laugh Les. He said it was his wife's car....

Spent a bit more time checking things this morning. All the diagonal measurements match up (surprisingly well!) and a straight edge along the wheels and everything is dead parallel with the vehicle body. Been for a drive and it brakes fine, straight line and only needs minor (fingertip) adjustments of the steering wheel when driving as normal.

Looking at his damage wing did it hit your spare wheel...? Has it bent your door, mines bent just by closing it to hard...?? Sure he didn't skid on all the diesel you are spilling out ?? LOL...! :hysterical:

Motorcycle rider here as well as Landie owner..... :blink:

db.

Looking at his damage wing did it hit your spare wheel...? Has it bent your door, mines bent just by closing it to hard...?? Sure he didn't skid on all the diesel you are spilling out ?? LOL...! :hysterical:

Motorcycle rider here as well as Landie owner..... :blink:

db.

Pretty sure he did hit the spare wheel as well as he has torn the bottom of the wheel cover - so slightly though its not worth replacing yet. The door is due for replacement next spring anyway once i get the new one painted up.

As for the diesel 'leak' - its not really a leak as such, i.e. its not pouring out and none actually reaches the road, it just makes a mess of the back end as it mixes with dust etc and is soaked up there, but that makes it look a lot worse than it is. Take a look here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=93961&page=1. I have tried to fix this, but two filler caps and two filler necks and combinations of them all have not made any difference to it. I havent collected the bits for the TD5 conversion yet as i would like to fix the system that is in place. Suggestions on that topic warmly received on that thread....

Hi, To me it's like history repeating itself; a Clio ran into the back of our 90 and bent the drop plate on the towbar, and left some paint on the rear crossmember. Other driver drove steaming heap away rapidly as he wasn't insured. Re the filler cap, painfully expensive though it might be, the only ones I've found that seal are genuine LR, and they definitely do. The copies are utter rubbish.