Garage pit dimensions.

skauldy

Hi guys,

Thinking of digging a pit in my garage. I would love a lift but don't have the head height. What is the dimensions of a pit. I am 175cm tall so would like to get the height right for me. Also anyone that has one what would you do different or install in it, air supply, water sump etc. Thanks

Shane

John Kendal had one in his garage, 160cms deep, two old pieces of miniature rail track each side for a trolley thing that was a jacking platform, slight fall to one side and a sump in the corner pumping into a 45gal barrel, 4x 5ft flourescent tubes in HD armatures, 4x wall sockets and two 110V yellow sockets too, on bothe sides there were shelves in the walls for tools lubricants rags etc although he did have almost double of everything tool wise it meant he could leave tools there and still be able to work on something on the bench if he needed, there was an RSJ with electric winch rated 500kgs running right over the top the full length of the garage.

when dug out he lined it with a pond liner before the base slab and sump were poured, solid concrete blocks for the walls, he was filling in between the liner and blocks with sand and using pre-cast concrete boxes with lintles above for the in wall shelves.

When this was built there was a whole new floor going down in the garage which made his life much easier as the whole thing looked very professional when finished, although he always thought the pit walls should have been tiled with high gloss white tiles but white satin emulsion was cheaper.

Sounds like my kinda of garage.

Good idea with the lintels and pre cast boxes. I was wondering if I constructed it out of blocks how could I put recessed shelves in. Also good idea of the rail track. I work in the railway do might grab a few lengths.

You don't want to make it very deep if you intend to work on a 4x4, otherwise its difficult to reach up to the areas you'll want to work on. I have a commercial vehicle pit, maybe 4 1/2 feet deep which is spot on. Not very comfortable for normal cars though.

A shallow pit is also safer as it's not so likely you'll suffocate on fumes and not as far to fall when you forget it's there.

As eightpot says do a shallow pit but you could add a sliding seat for working on normal cars. I'm over 6' and my dads pit would be perfect for 4x4's trouble is I had minis when I lived there perhaps banging my head and wiping grease in my hair is the reason I'm bald now.

Mike

There are lots of rules for commercial pits...... including the fact that power sockets and lighting in the pit can't be more than 24v...... which effectively means a dedicated set of pit tools.... if you can even get a 24v welder etc....

This is due to the fact that petrol. Diesel. Lpg etc are all heavier than air and sink creating the risk of explosion. ..

a ventilation system would help reduce the risk. ...

lots of other things such as means of escape etc.. bit of a minefield to be honest. ..

A friend of mine was pulling an oxy set on a trolley.. he stumbled into the pit and broke his wrist, the bottles and trolley stayed on top and narrowly missed dropping into the pit with him.

I know you said you had restricted room but pits are a seriously dangerous work area which I think we all underestimated in the past, if you can possibly manage a lift that would be better (IMHO)

You might also want to take care regarding the addition or a pit in an existing garage where the foundations might not be deep enough. If it is joined to the house, it could be a nightmare when you come to sell if it gets picked up by the surveyor.

I've got a pit that is about 5ft deep, and although it is handy, I wish it was a foot deeper and further away from the wall. Its position means I can't really keep anything down that side of the garage or else the car won't get over the pit. Mine is covered with grating so gets a bit of ventilation when not used and I chuck a 4" dust extractor hose down there if I'm going to be waxoyling etc.

All the points made about emergency exists and power points, and driving the car in accidentally.. all very valid.

Good thinking using the grates when not in use for ventilation. I was going to cover it over with short lengths of planks recessed with the floor.

I was thinking of going 12ft or greater in length to make sure I'm not covered in by the vehicle over me, would feel a put claustrophobic and never mind the fire haRd. I'm planning on the put for gearbox and transfer box work as I changed these on my disco 2 lying on my back and never ever again. Also for the oil change/ underbody inspection. Would be mainly for 4x4 and the odd car. So good idea about the sliding seat.

That's my biggest fear is the depth. I would hate to go to all this trouble and the. Say bigger wish it was deeper/ shallower.

I see a good few companies who make prefabricated pits make a steel box and lower it in. Might be structural stronger two the fact it is like a box rather then building with blocks

There are also these....

http://mech-mate.co.uk/Motor-Pits.html

http://www.mech-mate.co.uk/Contact-Mech-Mate.html

The problem with pits I've heard of (sorry not got one) is damp.... site down before you read the cost....

I've always liked one of these....

http://www.hamercarlift.com/

http://www.hamercarlift.com/HAMER-ASSEMBLY-INSTALLATION-OPERATION-INCLUDING-TRAINING-VIDEO-S-

Again... sit down before reading the pricing....

Rob

But he ain't building a commercial pit - are you aware of any rules pertaining to domestic pits?

Have a look at this thread on Garagejournal for how to do a pit. Sadly, I don't think he lists a depth.

Matt

post-10578-0-91655500-1446497783_thumb.jpeg

That's some garage! Then again, dismantle a 30-year-old Land Rover in there and it will soon look like everyone else's :)

Rang an engineering company today to see how much it would cost to fab a steel box and then back fill around it with a lean mix.

Col, will check out that link.

Had a look at the mech mate. It's GRP. I wouldn't be able to use a transmission jack in it. Other then that it would be perfect

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's some garage! Then again, dismantle a 30-year-old Land Rover in there and it will soon look like everyone else's :)

I look upon that thread as the equivalent of Les Brock’s 90 build. Done to a very high standard in a small space – and ideas will be stol…borrowed.  Am currently in the process of purchasing a house in North Bristol where I will have space (but not necessarily funds) to build a double garage of similar size. Admittedly it will eventually get filled with a 110 in bits but I certainly intend to paint everything white and have a decent floor including a pit...

The road to hell being paved with good intentions and all that

Way back in 1998 when I built a 4 bedroom cottage for my then family I naturally built a garage to one side, complete with toilet, shower cubicle and service pit. The pit was 1.5 metres wide, 2 metres deep by 6 metres long with an access ladder at either end, illumination was supplied by 4 off twin 40 watt fluros - 2 per side and set into either side - my wine storage racks ^_^ oh the many very happy hours I spent under various cars in that garage.

.... http://www.dublove.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/garage/garagejuly%20(26%20of%2034).jpg

presuming they are 440 x 220 blocks laid on their side .... each one being 100mm thick.... that is 16 blocks high + 10mm mortar joints ....

So... it's about ~1740ish high / deep depending on how you look at it

... brick / block scale...

:moglite: