Garage pit dimensions.

skauldy

Would the skinny wheels not puncture the GRP with a gearbox and transfer box on it.

No reason why they should assuming it's made and fitted correctly (fibreglass can be made bullet proof literally) I would think the manufacturer has allowed for this. However if it was likely to be a problem you only need a sheet of metal on the floor to spread the load.

Mike

I hired a bobcat to excavate mine, I then lined it with 2 layers wide of 500 x 250 x 250 hollow "double figure 8" concrete blocks all round. One course up from the bottom steel angle lintels were placed on both sides to support the upper inner courses of blocks so that I had formed a recess 250 deep and 500 high x 1500 long on each side of the pit for my wine store - a small drainage sump was located in the bottom later fitted with a small pump discharging into the nearest storm water drain.

The hollows in the concrete blocks were then backfilled with 35 mpa concrete slurry before the garage slab and the floor of the pit was poured, the slab was formed over the tops of the concrete blocks. The internal sides of the pit was painted with bituminous paint as a waterproof membrane with a final white gloss top-coat. The steps were fabricated from two very cheap (on special) aluminium step ladders from the local hardware store.

Cool, thanks for all the replies guys. No word back from the engineering crowd and a bricked mate is going to price me for the floor and block work.

I emailed mech mate to see how much one of theirs pits it. Would be nice just to slot it in.

If you have the concrete floor set back from the edge of the pit by 2 or 3 inches each side, dropping 2" planks in to cover when not in use is easy. If you fix and angle to the wall to support the boards afterwards, it always seems to be in the wrong place and dig you in the ribs or smack you on the head when you least want it!

I'd endorse the last two comments however my garage roller door width was a standard 2.4 metres (8') so there was never a risk of dropping a wheel into the pit as it was central to the door, consequently I never bothered with a cover.

Scientifically I would think it is close to :

D = height of mechanic - clearance of vehicle + comfort distance

W = wheel track - a bit

L = vehilce length + girth of mechanic

where, girth of mechanic = pies + beer

(ok i've been doing a lot of programming recently ;)

Will be interesting to see what you come up with. If I ever extend my workshop I'd be looking to put in a bay for working under vehicles, either with a pit or a ramp.

A ramp does appeal a bit more if I'm honest, and I suppose if you're starting from scratch you can ensure the building will accommodate it from the start. However it would be good to see an example of the other option.

Got a price from the engineering crowd. They recommend going 10ft long as that's what the sheet comes in. Think it was 8mm steel. 5ft deep and 4ft wide with a fold in It to allow lights to be installed and be plumb with the vertical line of the wall. Also a sump in the floor. Drum roll please ........ 800-1000 Euro. Not bad I reckon. Monday I will have a price for the block wall option. Also someone mention precast concrete or even shuttering it and pouring.

Got a price from the engineering crowd. They recommend going 10ft long as that's what the sheet comes in. Think it was 8mm steel. 5ft deep and 4ft wide with a fold in It to allow lights to be installed and be plumb with the vertical line of the wall. Also a sump in the floor. Drum roll please ........ 800-1000 Euro. Not bad I reckon. Monday I will have a price for the block wall option. Also someone mention precast concrete or even shuttering it and pouring.

I'd highly recommend at least doubling that length... We dug one in one of the barns back at my parents and I think it ended up being about 25ft long - when you consider a 110 is ~14ft long (and actually most 5-door cars are a similar length) then you ideally want access at the front and back to climb in and out you'd be surprised at how long it needs to be.

At 10ft long you'll probably get about half the vehicle over it and just about be able to squeeze underneath to get in.

We just dug it out using the digger and then used tongue & groove floorboards with plenty of bracing to build the shuttering. Lots of mixing later (I think we worked out it was about 9 tonnes of concrete went into ours because the ground is shale so quite difficult to dig out neatly) and one accident (one of the boards was a little rotten at the bottom and blew out) later we had a pit. We reinforced the lip with 5mm angle iron. This allows us to put 2x6" boards across it when not in use.

There's also a sump at the bottom end (nothing on the farm is flat) to pump out water. Can't remember the depth but comes up to about nipple height which is alright for the majority of our vehicles (4x4's, tractor, dumper truck etc) but a bit shallow for the Suzuki Swift - but that so rarely needs work it's manageable :blush:.

Don't think I'll go the steel route. Would rather it longer as you say. Don't want to be covered by the vehicle. I must throw a tape on the garage floor and see what's the max I can go.

Just thinking, if I do get a pit, imagine the amount of friends I will have that I never realised. Will be the same as when you have a trailer lol

I dug a hole and poured a concrete pit. It is a nominal 40" deep, with a 1inch slope, and 42" wide. Inside I have an old office chair on castors so I can wheel myself from end to end. Sitting on the chair my head is just above garage floor level, so I'm safe from intoxicating fumes - no wine stored there. It's only 15ft long, but for my 110 I wish it was longer so that I had easy access at both ends. It is covered by 2" x 12" (true dimensions, not builders' merchant nominal sizes) fir planks to give a smooth floor level to the garage. It is important to have wide planks since all the weight of one wheel may be on a single plank when just parking in the garage but not using the pit.

My other safety feature is that I have painted a broad white line on the garage floor parallel to the length of the pit on the driver's side, and spaced so that if I can just see the entire width of the line I know that the inside edge of the driver's side wheels are just safely on the concrete, and if the driver's side wheels are fully on the white line then the passenger's side wheels are just safely on the concrete. Sounds complicated, doesn't it, but you see what I mean - I hope. I couldn't put power or lights in the pit, although I wanted to, because the garage was a new build, under a building permit, and the Building Inspector was always sniffing around. I would have had to have explosion proof light fittings, etc. $$$$$$$$$$$+++!

Mike

What did you do for the sides,

I took some measurements today. For working on my 90 and not be covered in it would need to be 14ft long. To work on my disco 2 and not be covered in I would want 17ft. Man alive

Would I be better off measuring from the back of the transfer box (plus 3ft to allow for transmission stand to move it backwards for clutch change) and measuring forwards. This would mean however the rear axle wouldn't be over a pit but I could just turn the truck around if I need to work on it.

Base and sides were lined with HD polythene sheet, all one piece, rebar in base and sides and plywood shuttering with cross bracing to prevent the formwork deforming. Concrete thickness was a minimum of 4", same as the garage floor, which was also strengthened with rebar. Base was poured one weekend and the sides a week later, when the main floor was poured. Yes, I know that it was a nit of overkill for a domestic garage, but I hope it is just about future proof. So far, no cracks and no leaks.

Mike