Additional Heater Vents?

Hi All

I was idly wondering if it's possible to improve the cabin airflow in a defender - I've already taken off the lower plastic air-guide-vent-thingy which results in a lot more airflow around my legs.. I also tried turning it upside down so the air blows towards me but that ended up with me having freezing feet!

From what I remember the lower dash is basically hollow with the hot air in it - has anyone tried putting something like:

!B3wfDfQBGk~$(KGrHqEOKjcEyZzwOd,oBMncW(Y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60mm-Dash-Air-Vent-Heater-Duct-Eberspacher-Webasto-/190482691119?hash=item2c59a7342f:m:mN3CZHDpvfDX3sogzS65P2w

inset into the airbox? So you could open it and angle it towards the occupants for a bit better air circulation, or shut it off when not needed...

Thoughts?

Cheers

Jon

Jon,

I have a feeling that I have some of those vents in the workshop, from when I fitted my eberspacher, I will see if I can dig them out and you are welcome to them if you want them.

Jason.

I was thinking that you could drill some more holes in the heater box somewhere that clears the control rod and flaps - so I would imagine above and to the left / right of where the existing flaps are..

Ross - have you still got your heater box off the landy to more easily be able to check where could be suitable?

Jason - if you have some that would be much appreciated, if not they aren't hugely expensive :)

I was thinking that you could drill some more holes in the heater box somewhere that clears the control rod and flaps - so I would imagine above and to the left / right of where the existing flaps are..

Ross - have you still got your heater box off the landy to more easily be able to check where could be suitable?

Jason - if you have some that would be much appreciated, if not they aren't hugely expensive :)

Well there's not a lot for it to be bolted to at the moment :lol:

I'll dig it out when I'm next up there and take some pictures?

Hi All

I've already taken off the lower plastic air-guide-vent-thingy which results in a lot more airflow around my legs.. I also tried turning it upside down so the air blows towards me but that ended up with me having freezing feet!

Jon

Does removing it not make your feet cold then ? If not it makes you wonder why they have it there! I definitely like the idea of more warmth around my legs.

Does removing it not make your feet cold then ? If not it makes you wonder why they have it there! I definitely like the idea of more warmth around my legs.

I didn't notice a lot of difference to be honest - but the air seems to flow out more into the cabin than getting lost in the footwells... For 2 mins and a couple of phillips screws it's worth trying :)

The original blower does move a fair bit of air, but it could be controlled so much better.

I've always been of the opinion that you loose one heck of a lot of heat in just warming up the uninsulated lower steel dash. To this end I lined the inside of mine with 3mm foam sheet. I am not convinced about the success of this yet, but I'm sure it must have made a bit of difference.

The other thoughts I've had have been to add ducting inside the lower dash to further minimize heat loss, and better direct the air. Of course there is a fair bit to this, as you'd need to control up to screen or footwells with something other than the standard method Ralph has shown above.

45 has a fibre glass dash and no footwell/windscreen flap. The air does seem to warm up quicker than 55 (normal dash) and there is no disadvantage to having it blow out of footwell and screen at the same time. In fact the only reason I'm planning to put the abovementioned vents in 45 is the passenger footwell gets so much hotter than the drivers. The wife loves it but I can't handle it when i'm in that seat.

Mike

I've slowly started fibreglassing (the old body hole filler stuff) the bottom of the inside of the lower dash so water can't collect in it. I was then planning on ducting it through the dash a bit better, either by making the inside space smaller with expanding foam and moulds or by ducting it with pipework.

I did something similar using the vents out of a classic mini. Still have the ability to select demister or footwell vents using the original lever. The restriction is enough in the demisters that opening my new vents with footwells off gives a good flow of air!

I've slowly started fibreglassing (the old body hole filler stuff) the bottom of the inside of the lower dash so water can't collect in it. I was then planning on ducting it through the dash a bit better, either by making the inside space smaller with expanding foam and moulds or by ducting it with pipework.

Expanding foam will eventually get wet and 'orrible.

On my Series II V8, I used 40mm plastic waste pipe as my ducting. I built a distribution box that sat in the left corner of the dash tray, having cut a whole through the bulkhead to match a series III heater unit. The pipes ran along the dash tray and down into the footwell, feeding left and right. Another pipe ran across to feed left and right demisters. Air flow came from a 3 speed mk 2 Cavalier blower unit. I was never cold in that truck, even with the back of the full tilt rolled up.

Expanding foam will eventually get wet and 'orrible.

On my Series II V8, I used 40mm plastic waste pipe as my ducting. I built a distribution box that sat in the left corner of the dash tray, having cut a whole through the bulkhead to match a series III heater unit. The pipes ran along the dash tray and down into the footwell, feeding left and right. Another pipe ran across to feed left and right demisters. Air flow came from a 3 speed mk 2 Cavalier blower unit. I was never cold in that truck, even with the back of the full tilt rolled up.

That was a concern, so I was wondering how I could encase it. Trouble with ducting it is how to join up with the internal flaps?

That was a concern, so I was wondering how I could encase it. Trouble with ducting it is how to join up with the internal flaps?

I was thinking do away with the existing lower flaps and control flow further upstream.

Might do a doodle later if I get a moment.

Do you not find the puma just super heats your left calf? Or starts melting your welly? It's really rather put me off driving our yard truck :(

I have driven a fair few Pumas and can't really say I rate the HEVAC all that much, yes they warm up better than most td5s but they never seem as good as my 300, I just turn the slow speed on and it takes care of itself pretty much. The slow speed on Pumas seems awfully noisey to me but maybe my hearing just zones in on it more? The side demisters are handy though I keep thinking about fitting some to mine.

One of the best things about my disco truck cab was the vents designed for rear seat passengers circulated warm air up your back and really helped to dry damp shoulders wich I found handy, perhaps some of these would help distribute heat better?

Will.

Didn't you choose the puma dash because you have short legs ? :-)

Could you pass me my coat too please ?

I think the old pins are due to all the cold and wet they soaked up over the years driving Series, 90 & 110's but then dried out and shrunk in all the lovely evenly distributed heat in the Puma's I've had :D

• Like 1

Did any of you fit those vents, I have two exactly the same that I was thinking of fitting instead of the other things that are on the dash.

For airflow, I fitted a vent blower in between the vent intake plastic shaped thing and the venter box, it really did help bring more air through hence thinking about the vents now.