Consequences and legality?

Nigelw

Just seen a right hash of a job on faceache, a D2 chassis that is horrendously rotten and so badly repaired that the shock mounts ripped out at 70mph says the poster.

Unable to post a link on this thing but if you are a fb member please post link or screens of pics.

My question is really, as a private person, what can you do? It can clearly be seen how bad it is/was, but it was just plain dangerous and not at all very well repaired.

Can you claim liabilities against seller even if it was a private person not a garage?

It needs re-chassis and it'll live but, there must be some kind of come back for selling something so dangerous!

I don't know the legal position but if it was a private sale I was always told it was buyer beware .... ie tough.

That said if someone had gone out of their way to cover up faults and misrepresent the vehicle perhaps you could take civil proceedings?

Perhaps the solution involves big hairy bikers?

You do have to wonder how it got through the last MOT, I imagine it was one of those special ones?

I think it would be very difficult and expensive to take any legal action against the seller unless that was identified as the cause of a serious accident and the police / coroner took it on. Then they might look at who sold it, did the work or even who tested it, but more likely it'd come down to the owner I guess.

You can try a small claims case as not fit for purpose, not sure how that would go but it's online and not expensive. I have a friend a couple of friends with open cases and it seems quite easy to do, don't know what the outcome will be.

Although there have been a few amusing paperwork cock ups in one of the cases, he was sent the documentation from an unrelated case with his name on it :wacko:

Thing is when you total up parts etc a chassis swap goes north of 2k

Say you paid 3,000 for it all clean and tidy then this, that makes it a 5,000 car and insurmountable ball ache involved in repairs and unknown work involved, this isn't like the turbo going pop after 5,000 miles! It's really rather serious and devious!

Thing is when you total up parts etc a chassis swap goes north of 2k

Say you paid 3,000 for it all clean and tidy then this, that makes it a 5,000 car and insurmountable ball ache involved in repairs and unknown work involved, this isn't like the turbo going pop after 5,000 miles! It's really rather serious and devious!

I think your 2k is a very conservative estimate, Simon_CSK paid 7K to have the job done http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=96627&p=840764 and Muddy spent 2.6K doing it himself http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=96627&p=840815

I don't understand the problem here, someone put a heap on ebay (or such like), someone else was too lazy to go and have a look at it before he bid (or couldn't be asked to have a look underneath), now he found out it's a heap. It's clearly a heap, but then jeez, don't buy it. forget the legalitys and consequences, either flog it or re-chassis it and chalk it up as experience.

Or do I sound harsh?

Daan

• Like 3

Its also THE thing that goes wrong with D2's, so if your going to buy one, surely to fk you check to ensure its sound?

Its clearly had patchwork done, but it very likely didnt look like the photos when it was on the road. Thats surely come about after lots of beating with a hammer.

You have to remember lots of people are not interested in mechanics, they don't know the common pitfalls of a particular car. They buy a car they want to tow a horse with or whatever with an mot with no advisories and don't contemplate that it could be that bad.

I agree with buyer beware with used cars and if I bought one without looking underneath and at the next mot it needed a few hundred quids worth of welding I'd think fair enough but I don't see how that car can have gone from mot to mot without it being flagged unless it wasn't a genuine mot or they were going to good lengths to hide it.

Of course it's still the owners problem which is why it really amazes me is how many people buy cars off eBay and pay for them without seeing them. I had a friend that sold a bog standard 10 year old 206 on ebay and the people drove 6 hours to get it and 6 hours back - for a 206?!

One google search will tell you what the problems are with any sort of car/house/horse or computer.

I sold my 206 on ebay: it went unseen for £1650 to a bloke who lived 20 minutes up the road! I thought that was even more amazing.

Daan

You have to remember lots of people are not interested in mechanics, they don't know the common pitfalls of a particular car. They buy a car they want to tow a horse with or whatever with an mot with no advisories and don't contemplate that it could be that bad.

I agree with buyer beware with used cars and if I bought one without looking underneath and at the next mot it needed a few hundred quids worth of welding I'd think fair enough but I don't see how that car can have gone from mot to mot without it being flagged unless it wasn't a genuine mot or they were going to good lengths to hide it.

Of course it's still the owners problem which is why it really amazes me is how many people buy cars off eBay and pay for them without seeing them. I had a friend that sold a bog standard 10 year old 206 on ebay and the people drove 6 hours to get it and 6 hours back - for a 206?!

I got really lucky with my V8 Disco, bought unseen, I was 1000 kms away, paid for it and had it delivered to me in Belgium.

I just found this particularly annoying as there is no way it was safe!!! Imagine putting 2000kilo on the hook an set off for Spain for summer hols to find you left caravan and half the chassis behind after tanking diesel.