200Tdi cylinder head

Hi, it appears the head gasket is blowing out the back of the engine, (sounds like a steam train chuffing away).

Having read the technical forum post on removing the cylinder head. It has given me confidence, so I figure I may as well overhaul/replace stuff whilst in there.

Anybody got any suggestions on what I should consider replacing.

Started taking it apart today following the technical forum guide.

I think what I might do is take it off, and take it to a place in Darlington that refurbishes the heads.

Next question is.....is there a forum guide to refitting it? I know it is basically the reverse of removal, but what about specifics like assembly order and torque values. I do have a proper Land Rover workshop manual, which seems to list torque values, just wondering if there are any really good tips from the experts on here?

They are stretch bolts and there is a two stage stretch procedure. You should use new bolts and follow that procedure exactly. If you can find some ARP Ultra-Torque, use that for thread lube.

Pull and inspect the tappets while you are in there. Check piston protrusion to make sure you have the correct gasket and that there is not a bent rod.

Definitely need more advice here , when it comes to putting it all back together.

Just been reading the rebuild part of the Landrover manual, and its saying that I have to do all this .... I quote word for word.

Page 78 of Landrover manual:-

5. Attach the special service tool degree disc LST122 to a power bar. Make a suitable pointer from welding rod and attach it to a bolt screwed into a rocker shaft securing bolt hol.(Assuming they mean hole here)

6. Tighten all the bolts down through an angle of 60 degrees strictly in the sequence illustrated. As each bolt is tightened scribe a line across the head with a piece of chalk or crayon to identify which bolts have been tightened, then tighten each bolt a further 60degrees again in the correct sequence to complete the tightening procedure. Re-positioning of the pointer will , no doubt, be necessary to reach all bolts.

Is there an easier way around all that Malarky?

Do I really need special tool LST122?

Seems all a bit weird to me, always been told you just torque the head bolts down in the right sequence and then do it again it the right sequence.

But it`s something I've never actually done.

The points of the bolt head tell you where 60 degrees are so perhaps you could do it without the tool?

That's what I did. I don't think it's a coincidence that the procedure is two turns of 60deg, rather than some other angle. It'd save a lot of tools and time in the engine plant.

That's what I did. I don't think it's a coincidence that the procedure is two turns of 60deg, rather than some other angle. It'd save a lot of tools and time in the engine plant.

Me too! A dab of tippex or whatever to show you where you started, then off you go... it's simple enough, really is

The cylinder head tightening machine on an assembly line is a lovely piece of kit. Each bolt head has it's own "socket" and the machine lowers onto the head engaging with each bolt simultaneously. Then they are all tightened together and in the correct sequence to the torque / angle required. PLC controlled of course.

• Like 1

Got more bits off today, (only had a couple of hours really) and found the manifold gasket was split too. Never really noticed any ticking noise from it. The head gasket certainly seems to have gone too, I can now see where its been chucking oil and soot onto the bulkhead.

It will stay half done for a few days while I am back to work fixing bigger toys.

Got the head off this afternoon, it now looks like the second from last photo in the guide.

Only real problem I had was one of the 10mm bolts holding the rocker shaft on would budge. Ended up wrecking it then had to put my Erwins bolt removers on it, totally chewed it but got it out.

Need to buy new ones, now to find a part number.