What overdrive options are there these days?

Chicken Drumstick

I don't think there are any current 'series' overdrive-options available that are both long-term-reliable and cost-effective!

Have you thought of switching to 3.54 diffs?? Or fitting an Ashcroft high-ratio transfer box kit?

I can see it's interpreting your question widely, but as well as the two options Tanuki mentions, the overdrive that is current is Roamerdrive

You can find a review on Nicks Land Rover site.

Heystee offered something, based on a Santana unit, but as it doesn't appear in their online shop I guess it's not readily available new.

Haystee says that Santana ceased production.

Regards.,

I don't think there are any current 'series' overdrive-options available that are both long-term-reliable and cost-effective!

Have you thought of switching to 3.54 diffs?? Or fitting an Ashcroft high-ratio transfer box kit?

Yes considered both. Not really interested in 3.54:1 diffs as it'll ruin the low speed crawl at tickerover low 1st. And it's already faster than a Tdi 90 in this respect.

Ashcroft is ideally what I wanted, but he didn't have any when I had the vehicle apart. And it's not a 5 min job to install. Having had the vehicle off the road since May last year and only just back and running, I'm loathed to take it off again to remove and rebuild the transfer box.

I'm new to Rovers, but an old hand with Jeeps. I don't know enough details on the transfer cases used by the Series vehicles, but you might try reaching out to Herm Tilford. Herm is the man regarding Warn Overdrives used on the Jeep Dana 18 transfer case. I believe he may have worked on or rebuilt Fairey overdrives.

You can find him at www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com

If you're struggling with Rocky Mountain, I'd speak to Global Roamer directly in Canada, service 2nd to non and you get to speak to the guy that invented it too which is quite novel!

I bought a 2nd/3rd hand unit from Gumtree and needed some advice on getting it working and Ray (inventor) pretty much fell over himself to help me out with advice and he even sent me a replacement main bearing free of charge.

After taking mine apart the engineering is pretty bomb proof.

The cost of them is a bit eye watering, but its all relative really.

Rocky Mountain and Roamerdrive were once the same company but they split several years ago. Martin Hogan used used to be UK distributor for both under the name of Rocky Mountain Spares. The Roamerdrive is costly, but is much stronger than the Fairey. The Faireys are good enough, if you get one in good condition, but some parts are hard to find - I rebuilt one and have a guide on that in my blog too. The High Ratio Transfer Case is not a good idea in my opinion, and nor are 3.54 diffs - I tried the diffs and the drive was horrible except the motorway, which was a bit quieter (with OD engaged), but I don't think it was coincidence that my gear box stripped teeth off third gear after six months; 30mph becomes mid rpm third gear instead of low rpm fourth, and that takes its toll with the harshness of a Tdi and its increased torque on acceleration.

As I said on the other thread, I have an overdrive, which is far better than altering the diffs or high ratio, and I also modified the transfer box with SII Suffix B low gears for a 17% reduction from the later Series transfer boxes, so have +28% and -17% final gearing over standard without using custom parts.

If you're struggling with Rocky Mountain, I'd speak to Global Roamer directly in Canada, service 2nd to non and you get to speak to the guy that invented it too which is quite novel!

I bought a 2nd/3rd hand unit from Gumtree and needed some advice on getting it working and Ray (inventor) pretty much fell over himself to help me out with advice and he even sent me a replacement main bearing free of charge.

After taking mine apart the engineering is pretty bomb proof.

The cost of them is a bit eye watering, but its all relative really.

Ray is immensely helpful and very keen. He talked me through replacing the bearings on mine after I damaged some from an oil leak; he was surprised at the end that someone had managed to rebuild a Roamerdrive as it's much harder than the Fairey type (because of the location of a big circlip).

Rocky Mountain and Roamerdrive were once the same company but they split several years ago. Martin Hogan used used to be UK distributor for both under the name of Rocky Mountain Spares. The Roamerdrive is costly, but is much stronger than the Fairey. The Faireys are good enough, if you get one in good condition, but some parts are hard to find - I rebuilt one and have a guide on that in my blog too. The High Ratio Transfer Case is not a good idea in my opinion, and nor are 3.54 diffs - I tried the diffs and the drive was horrible except the motorway, which was a bit quieter (with OD engaged), but I don't think it was coincidence that my gear box stripped teeth off third gear after six months; 30mph becomes mid rpm third gear instead of low rpm fourth, and that takes its toll with the harshness of a Tdi and its increased torque on acceleration.

As I said on the other thread, I have an overdrive, which is far better than altering the diffs or high ratio, and I also modified the transfer box with SII Suffix B low gears for a 17% reduction from the later Series transfer boxes, so have +28% and -17% final gearing over standard without using custom parts.

Thanks.

My last s11a swb that i converted to disco 200tdi sported an ashcroft H/R trannybox and o/d it ran great through the gears with no probs climbing hills but on motorways it felt like it still needed another gear i should have fitted R/R diffs but never got round to it but i recon if i do another one i will keep to a std tranny box fit an o/d and R/R diffs which i think will give me slightly better gearing but not too harsh.

the thing is if you just fit either R/R diffs and or H/R tranny box your stuck with the gearing where as if you fit an o/d aswell you have the chance to change to a better gear instead of having the engine screaming or laboring

My last s11a swb that i converted to disco 200tdi sported an ashcroft H/R trannybox and o/d it ran great through the gears with no probs climbing hills but on motorways it felt like it still needed another gear i should have fitted R/R diffs but never got round to it but i recon if i do another one i will keep to a std tranny box fit an o/d and R/R diffs which i think will give me slightly better gearing but not too harsh.

the thing is if you just fit either R/R diffs and or H/R tranny box your stuck with the gearing where as if you fit an o/d aswell you have the chance to change to a better gear instead of having the engine screaming or laboring

That's what I did, and it killed third gear after about six months.

They are about £1500 in the UK. The series one used to be cheaper than the Defender type but the price jumped up recently.

I was seriously considering buying one but the extra couple of hundred quid or so increase dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.