standing cars

jules

I leave cars on my drive for weeks at a time but there alarm run the battries down.

not the racers as they have cot offs.

two Range Rovers that live on my drive at the moment.

apart from disconecting the battries are there any cheap chargers that will be happy to stay connected for weeks on end and will not fry the battries.

or will putting a timer on the charger stop it from frying the battries

or will putting a timer on the charger stop it from frying the battries

Couple of ideas - either you could get a solar powered trickle charger - they plug into the cigarette lighter, and are avaliable from most accessory shops. They provide so little current that they wouldn't fry your batteries - they would just keep them topped up.

The other option would be a normal 240v trickle charger, plugged in via one of those mains timers (about £3 from B&Q). I would have thought that 15/30 mins per day would keep the charge, but not over charge. You would just have to use trial and error. Start at 15 mins, and test 24 hrs later. If there is still a reasonable charge in the battery, fantastic. If not, up it to 30 mins.

Edited to say - Damn, Mark beat me to it. Having looked at their website, I think I might just be ordering one of those optimate charger things........ Much better than a daft mains timer. Don't know what I was thinking...<mumble mumble>

another vote for Optimate - have used them for years, they even do a fair job of resurecting "dead" batteries :)

Yep

Otimate or bigger version Accumate

The dogs dangley bits IMVHO

You can also get a simple plug that is hardwired to the batterys, then just plug in the optimate and away it goes

Nige

Halfords 'automatic' charger.

I've got one, has resurrected a few dead batteries, and i use it to keep the battery in the garage topped up. it has charging and trickle-charging modes and generally just gets on with it.

My ol'man uses one to keep the cranking and deep-cycle batteries on the boat charged over winter and that doesn't go anywhere for about 4 months....

I've got a Maypole trickle charger and it is spot on - brings the battery up to about 12.85 volts and holds it there indefinitely which is exactly what my multimeter shows on a fully charged battery that has been left to settle for 24hrs :)

Sad as it sounds

Freelanders only last about four weeks before the battries are too flat to start

Disco 2 is about the same

old RRC's only last about 2-3 weeks

more toys the less likly they will start my old 90 would go for months without being started and still start on the button.

Alarms I assume is what does it.

Couple of ideas - either you could get a solar powered trickle charger - they plug into the cigarette lighter, and are avaliable from most accessory shops. They provide so little current that they wouldn't fry your batteries - they would just keep them topped up.

one thing to be careful about with this option is that a lot of cars switch off the power supply to the cigarette lighter when the ignition is off this is true of disco 1's ;) so wouldn't mind betting its across the range so check first before conecting a solar panel/gharger by this route otherwise you maybe wasting your time :blink:

mike

I have an optimate which is GREAT (for the CBR600) but it wouldn't supply the current needed by a big battery so I also got a Halfords thing - and it is also GREAT... My RRC has been laid up for three years now (long story) and it's battery is still fine :)

I think that bearing in mind the cost of new batteries - it's well worth getting the best that you can afford.

Rog

Sad as it sounds

Freelanders only last about four weeks before the battries are too flat to start

more toys the less likly they will start my old 90 would go for months without being started and still start on the button.

Very true, which of course begs the question "how difficult is it to pop off a battery terminal if you ain't going to use it for a month"! I always do that when I go away on holiday even if only for a couple of weeks, for safety (no fire risk), and to stop batteries discharging.

Even the newest Tdi 90/110 last for months, because the only active electrical thing in those is the clock :)

Sad as it sounds

Go for the solar panels . They work really well.Just trickle charge so will not damage the battery

I use one of these:

https://www.tektrek.com.au/images/EPS1203AT3.pdf

The chargers are designed to to step down to a float charge level and can be left connected indefinitely. I simply cut off the aligator clamps, extended the cable by 5 metres and fitted an accessory plug to go into the fridge outlet. That way the charger can stay in the garage and I just run the extended low voltage cable out to the vehicle.

I leave the charger running on both batteries in the Defender all the time.

Paul :)

Optimate here - although it's designed for bike batteries it will do any size, it just takes longer (record is about a week for a pair of very very flat Hawker red-tops). The "back from the dead" feature is worth it alone IMHO, it has rescued quite a few batteries of mine now.

I leave it plugged in to something (currently lodger's spare bike battery) on trickle charge / maintain pretty much all the time.

I bought a solar charger and the bloody thing DIScharged the battery, even though it's supposedly fitted with a diode to prevent this :huh: how dat work den? :blink: also the solar ones don't supply much current (unless you spend ££££) probably not even enough to replace what the alarm uses if you average it for day/night too.

Yeah, I've got a solar power charger, which seems to DIScharge the battery. Need to test it more scientifically (probably in 6 months when we actually get some sun), but at the moemnt, I don't even plug it in.

(2nd battery, deep cycle, on a 90, additional cigarette lighter always live)

Is it possible the battery is powering the solar cells? Am I reversing global warming?

Going to leave a vehicle standing for about 4-6 months. It's in a dry secure garage. Besides battery being on a trickle charge what else is sensible to do?

Thinking of putting it on axle stands, with handbrake off.

Any other precautions recomended?

It's a 3.9 EFi V8 hybrid if that makes any difference.

Regards

Leeds

Going to leave a vehicle standing for about 4-6 months. It's in a dry secure garage. Besides battery being on a trickle charge what else is sensible to do?

Thinking of putting it on axle stands, with handbrake off.

Any other precautions recomended?

It's a 3.9 EFi V8 hybrid if that makes any difference.

Regards

Leeds

I'll look after it for you ;)

In the motorcycle world I have heard of the following (just perm any from the list per your own thoughts):

Change the oil (old oil is acidic aparently)

Change the anti-freeze (to gain max anti-corrosion properties)

Clean and spray everything with WD40

Do the tyres with one of those rubber preserver sprays (don't do the tread though!) As an asside on tyres - and OTT for a 4x4 - bikers will also emery the tread after a layup to remove the oxide layer before use.

Once it's off the ground, pry out the brake pads just a little (make sure you have room in the fluid reservoir)

Remover the plugs and put a SMALL spray of WD40 in each, turn the engine over and then replace the plugs.

Drain the fuel system (old petrol forms a gum on anything it's in contact with - although this is unlikely to cause any problems in a single six month layup, if you are going to do it every year then it may be worth the effort.)

Alternatively to all of the above, all I do is run the engine for about an hour once a month to get it thoroughly hot, at the end of which I turn the RRC around to move it on the tyres and brakes. Oh and of course I leave the handbrake off and condition/charge the battery.

or....

Rog

In the motorcycle world I have heard of the following (just perm any from the list per your own thoughts):

Change the oil (old oil is acidic aparently)

Change the anti-freeze (to gain max anti-corrosion properties)

Clean and spray everything with WD40

Do the tyres with one of those rubber preserver sprays (don't do the tread though!) As an asside on tyres - and OTT for a 4x4 - bikers will also emery the tread after a layup to remove the oxide layer before use.

Once it's off the ground, pry out the brake pads just a little (make sure you have room in the fluid reservoir)

Remover the plugs and put a SMALL spray of WD40 in each, turn the engine over and then replace the plugs.

Drain the fuel system (old petrol forms a gum on anything it's in contact with - although this is unlikely to cause any problems in a single six month layup, if you are going to do it every year then it may be worth the effort.)

Alternatively to all of the above, all I do is run the engine for about an hour once a month to get it thoroughly hot, at the end of which I turn the RRC around to move it on the tyres and brakes. Oh and of course I leave the handbrake off and condition/charge the battery.

or....

Rog

Thanks Rog.

Whereabouts is LS26

By the way the URL's on your website are invalid!!! Will go get my coat :ph34r:

Regards

Leeds

On my old Light weight V8 I used to park it up for months at a time I would jack it up and put wooden blocks between the axle and chassis to stop the springs sagging (by taking all the weight off them).

I don't know if it did any good but I had two engins in the back and didn't want the exces weight to change the springs memory.

On my old Light weight V8 I used to park it up for months at a time I would jack it up and put wooden blocks between the axle and chassis to stop the springs sagging (by taking all the weight off them).

I don't know if it did any good but I had two engins in the back and didn't want the exces weight to change the springs memory.

christ Did you :o Wow thats news to me , and it was parked in our garden :lol:

I all remeber is a Keg of bug on the back and one of your mate Mildly miffed and passing out in it and finding him slumb across the drivers and passenger seat the next morning Oh and it was news years eve :lol:

christ Did you :o Wow thats news to me , and it was parked in our garden :lol:

I all remeber is a Keg of bug on the back and one of your mate Mildly miffed and passing out in it and finding him slumb across the drivers and passenger seat the next morning Oh and it was news years eve :lol:

1999 party

Abersinth was responible for those two....the other one passed out stood up leaning against the garage

I think you found the rest of the bottle when you moved.

I drove the LW with the blocks still in once there wasn't much diffrance in ride :lol::lol: