Hidden Switch

All you can do is slow them down / try to make your truck unattractive and make sure your insurance is solid - a determined tea leaf will have it away if they want it, no security device stops 3.14keys with a HIAB crane and a shipping container waiting.

A mate's 110 was stripped of the doors, bonnet, and interior on his driveway.

Garage it at night(the best one )pedal lock ,steering wheel lock ,battery cut out switch(several of),fuel tap in a hidden location as near to the injector pump as possible (limits the distance it travels before it cuts out),fuel cut out switch(I have one but don't know the make),hidden switch in the stop solenoid wiring ,chain it to the ground ,chain the wheels to the suspension arms/rock sliders using high quality security chain (do both ends so it can't be towed),removable steering wheel ,tracker,datatag ,alarm ,everything you can think of to stop em do it ,don't let em have it .sorry there are no specific "fixes" but you get the idea 

4 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

Don't buy a Defender

Annoyingly never a truer word spoken.

I'm just waiting for the day I go out and they aren't there. Both my trucks are very distinctive, beaten to death, old and parked outside my bedroom window. There is nothing any of us can do other than do as much of the above as possible and hope for the best.

Mike

I agree with you both avid and Mike. I worry when I park mine away from home. I rely on my FAI battery master switch but that doesn't stop it being put on a low loader.

Last time we came home it was inside the box and they wanted it out to make it easier to finish, I told them exactly where to fing to position of the battery master switch as the key was out. When I arrived at the docks, My Defender was still inside the box. Every switch had been switched but the battery master switch we still on the passenger seat. That gave me more confidence in that switch. NO !! I'm not telling where ??

well fortunately where i park mines is at the bottom off a dead end street that has parked cars lined all the way up on both sides so you can't get a flatbed/loader down to it. so im thinking a removable steering wheel, fuel cut off and battery isolator.

with great difficulty as its very tight and always parked cars in front and behind the truck so they would have to lift it. can you get flatbeds with a crane to lift a defender? in fact im getting a tracker too. any recommendations?

Even a tatty, old Defender is a target, for spares if not cheap disposal.  Series vehicles are being targeted too now that their value is increasing.   I think my vehicle is both too obsolete and too mucked about with to appeal to thieves as they'd be unable to sell it to Defender or Series markets, but I can't even depend on that.

also where i park it is lined with an iron fence along one side which separates the street from the woods. would something like below be and idea to attached through my roll cage to the fence? a bit primitive but if they didn't cut it, it would lift the full fence up if they lifted the truck?

http://www.wheelup.it/gb_en/motorcycle-accessories/anti-theft-systems/padlocks-anti-theft-devices-disc-locks/lock-chain-combination-1200-110-web.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA2abEBRCdx7PqqunM1CYSJABf3qvaq0guKyw5UQngacyXoAb729c1hM7_e-XAen68WbzllRoC7KLw_wcB

It's a council steel fence. See I never leave the truck anywhere e xcept when I park up. With steering off and it chained up they would have to make a bit of a noise on populated street to get it off and up on a flatbed

A lot of these security schemes are more hassle for you than they are for a thief. I'd take a few sensible but unobtrusive precautions and make sure my insurance is up to date, bu&&er chaining my vehicle to a fence every time out! The one day you forget it you'll make a hell of a mess :o

5 hours ago, Roverdrive said:

I have one of those. I replaced the standard FIA type with it as it started getting a bit iffy switching on/off sometimes, and I've heard that some thieves carry that kind of FIA key with them as they are common security measures on landies!

On 27/01/2017 at 6:21 PM, mmgemini said:

Who's going to hold it in for you to keep the alternator charging ?

Hammer a bit of stick into the hole, start truck, drive onto low-loader or "recovery" truck, off to the docks!

Tea leaves don't care about minor damage or shonky bodges, if it gets them the truck, it works!

Yes that would work. The last time I went to collect my Defender from the docks. they wanted the car out of the box to hurry things up for an early finish. The key was on the passenger seat and the docks asked me how to get the car started. NOW, I told them exactly where the socket was for the FIA key.....When I arrived at the docks, my Defender was still inside the box. Every switch had been tried but not the FIA key. The look on the dock lads faces was a picture as I jumped in and started it.