Hidden Switch

Been debating for a while whether or not to fit an FIA switch but probably won't now after reading above.

All this talk about anti-theft  devices reminded me of a story I heard.

Many years ago when I had my old series 2A a mate of mine told me of a cunning trick that someone he new had fitted to his Land Rover. He cut into his brake pipe then re-routed it into his seat box and put in a shut off valve. When ever he parked somewhere dodgy he would lift out his seat base to gain access to the valve, then depress his brake pedal and turn the valve so locking the brakes.

Clever idea, don't know exactly how the guy configured it as I got this tale by word of mouth. Would stop someone wheeling or towing it away unless they figured out the system. However, if it's hoisted onto a low loader from a static position then it's not going to impact a theft.

11 hours ago, IanT90 said:

Many years ago when I had my old series 2A a mate of mine told me of a cunning trick that someone he new had fitted to his Land Rover. He cut into his brake pipe then re-routed it into his seat box and put in a shut off valve. When ever he parked somewhere dodgy he would lift out his seat base to gain access to the valve, then depress his brake pedal and turn the valve so locking the brakes.

Clever idea, don't know exactly how the guy configured it as I got this tale by word of mouth. Would stop someone wheeling or towing it away unless they figured out the system. However, if it's hoisted onto a low loader from a static position then it's not going to impact a theft.

That is bloody dangerous - if the valve fails, it could prevent the brakes from operating while driving.  That is exactly why the marketed lockable hydraulic valve is to be installed in the clutch line only.

Never considered that side of it before just a pub yarn I remembered, I only thought of it from an anti theft point of view never considered safety implications.

However, being a manually operated valve if it failed in closed position he wouldn't be able to drive off (brakes locked on) and conversely if it failed in the open position he wouldn't have his anti theft system ? If it was an electrically operated valve that's another matter.

I would say that failure of the valve ,with it being manual, would be inconvenient rather than dangerous. I quite like the clutch ones that activate when a potential thief presses the pedal and the clutch stays down , only downside is the vehicle can still be freewheeled 

13 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

I would say that failure of the valve ,with it being manual, would be inconvenient rather than dangerous. I quite like the clutch ones that activate when a potential thief presses the pedal and the clutch stays down , only downside is the vehicle can still be freewheeled 

Those are the commercially available valves I was referring to, where the instructions are explicit about only installing the valve in the clutch line and not the brakes for the reason I mentioned.  I doubt any insurance company would touch the vehicle if you fitted a valve to the brakes - it could cause a blockage or leak that could cause complete brake failure.  I'd be extremely surprised if any such system would be illegal.

Who makes those Snagger , I want one . Re brake line lock ,without a doubt you wouldn't get it insured but the chance of it causing any type of brake failure is  so minuscule that I would happily take the risk , that's not why I want one of the off the shelf ones though , that will go in the clutch line ??

A DIY mod like that you just need to picture yourself in court explaining why it was a good idea to the surviving relatives of the deceased. Not wishing to be overly serious but that's the test I apply to any mod I do. Pratting with the brakes or steering is high stakes.

In the final analysis, nothing works. A friend had his 90 pinched. It was fitted with a battery master switch which was inside a locked box, the front axle was chained to a concrete post and the steering wheel had been removed. Parked under a streetlight, as close to his bedroom window as possible and it still went. Neighbour had a boat pinched off his drive, the trailer had a wheel clamp fitted and there was a post set in the driveway which went through the A frame of the trailer drawbar. He slept through all of it. Story in the Torygraph about a high spec Audi being pinched while the owner literally went to buy a packet of fags. Had tracker, perimeter alarms and it was broad daylight. Disappeared off the face of the earth for 36 hours then tracker pinged it as being in Southern Spain

neil110

Where abouts in the country did this friend live ? want to make sure I avoid going there !

To go through that collection of anti theft devices they must have wanted the beast pretty badly, maybe they needed something to tow the other neighbours boat ?

In my biker days heard of a guy who locked his prized Yamaha R1 in his garage, used high tensile steel chain chain to bolt it to the concrete floor, alarm on the doors and windows and parked his car in front of the door.

Got up one morning got in his car and thought something felt wrong, so opened garage door and bike was gone ! They had taken the roof off his garage and lifted it out, amazing the ingenuity these people have pity they don't put it to use in legitimate jobs.

Anyway as was quoted previously if they want it badly enough, they will take it no matter how many anti theft devices you fit. Just got to make it harder for them as the more time it takes them to steal it the more chance they have of getting caught.

Personally I like the idea of a motion detector that way as soon as it moves vertical or horizontally the alarm will trigger, just got to make sure it operates from a separate hidden battery. That way if they cut the battery power lead it still triggers.  

Middle of the night whacky idea!

I's easy to connect a Leap Motion gesture controller to an arduino:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmLS9psMCSY

How about use that to be your 'hidden switch' so to enable the car you have to do a 'special dance'.  Get it wrong and it does something funny / painful to jog your memory.

Nobody is going to expect to have to Disco to steal a Defender are they?!

I don't think it's such a daft idea.  It would probably stop you if you were drunk or over tired too - so long as the 'dance' was 'exotic' enough that you couldn't possibly remember it unless sober & wide awake.

Time for bed perhaps!

Si

I am thinking of fitting a siren to mine, on the inside. So loud that it will at least disorientate the person attempting to steal the vehicle and very probably cause permanent deafness. Yes I know its illegal, but you know what? I don't care. If people choose to break the law, why should they expect that same law to protect them from the consequences of their actions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neil110 said:

I am thinking of fitting a siren to mine, on the inside. So loud that it will at least disorientate the person attempting to steal the vehicle and very probably cause permanent deafness. Yes I know its illegal, but you know what? I don't care. If people choose to break the law, why should they expect that same law to protect them from the consequences of their actions?

Who says it's illegal, stuff em the scumbags . Instead of a siren set a  stereo on full volume ,a hidden one that they can't switch off ,nobody could claim that was intended to cause harm  ,I generally listen to music that would scare lucifer so if that came blasting out full chat I'm sure it would do the job .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

Instead of a siren set a  stereo on full volume ,a hidden one that they can't switch off ,nobody could claim that was intended to cause harm

This is one of the best ideas.  People ignore alarms - but generally come out to complain when the music is too loud.

Si

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, simonr said:

This is one of the best ideas.  People ignore alarms - but generally come out to complain when the music is too loud.

Si

Having thought about it some more I am going to use this method , only thing not decided yet is death metal or drum n bass ?

2 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

Having thought about it some more I am going to use this method , only thing not decided yet is death metal or drum n bass ?

I'd go for something like the Wurzels or the Birdy Song.  If you go for something too aggressive, people will assume you will be a gorilla and best not to interfere.  Something cheesy and annoying will get a more enthusiastic response from even the most timid neighbor.

On 26/01/2017 at 0:12 PM, slihp said:

with great difficulty as its very tight and always parked cars in front and behind the truck so they would have to lift it. can you get flatbeds with a crane to lift a defender? in fact im getting a tracker too. any recommendations?

Yes, as some friends found to their cost one christmas in Surbiton. Parked in high street and popped in to grab something from shops not realising there was a temporary parking ban for the week before christmas. Came out and Land Rover was gone (Stage 1 LWB). Council had picked it straight up with hiab onto back of truck and away to pound. £130 to release it (this was 25 years ago too)