Rear Door Not Staying Open

Hi All

What I would like to know is how or what can be done to make the locking mechanism work on the rear door, as it just closes unless you are parked o/s down a slope, can the rod/lever springy thing be adjusted on the rear door.

Ps. just had a new starter this time, this machine is starting to cost some money :-)

Cheers

Richard

I have a gas strut on mine and a swing away wheel carrier, no problems holding it open in the past couple of years, and I use the rear door forr a drop down shelf/cooker

Got mine as a kit from the overland show, but for the life of me I can't remember who sold um :-/

However a simple angle iron bracket on either end and a measure up of operating lengths combined with a trip to a breakers yard ( hatch back car ) should do the jobby and almost certainly cheaper that the kit from memory :0)

Pricy compared to a scrap gas strut - but not bad for a new one with a fitting kit!

I looked at making a kit for this - but didn't think anybody would pay for them at the best price I could buy a suitable strut!

Si

If its the same door strap I think you're talking about, drill a hole in the top of the runner for the plastic blocks, and drop a nail in when you want ot keep it open.

If its not that, then I need a picture to understand what it is

Pricy compared to a scrap gas strut - but not bad for a new one with a fitting kit! I looked at making a kit for this - but didn't think anybody would pay for them at the best price I could buy a suitable strut! Si

Si, if you were selling them for that price I'd have one.

As I mentioned, I paid £59 for mine as i was looked after.

It is very very well made, fits the standard holes, has all the spacers and fixings required, I could not of asked for more. It would be great at £40-£50, but that's life, and people need to make a living.

Andy

MUD Stuff 4x4 do one at £75.00 but its british and I like the quality of their products! I have not bought one yet but it will be on the do do list at some stage.

I have been looking for a system like on Vans or old toyotas (if my memory serves me) where there is a metal bar and it locks the door open and to release you have to take the pressure off it and flick it to the runner channel. Does anyone know what I am on about?

Nick

I have a spare wheel carrier (Bearmach through paddocks or something like that) that bolts onto the door. If you don't grease everything up then it locks into place nicely - plus gets the spare wheel off the door hinges.

I have a spare wheel carrier (Bearmach through paddocks or something like that) that bolts onto the door. If you don't grease everything up then it locks into place nicely - plus gets the spare wheel off the door hinges.

That sounds like one for Britpart! ;)

Si

That sounds like one for Britpart! ;)

Si

Probably (was given it as a present) - does the job though, people get a bit of a shock when they try and open it and it's a bit stiff but given I spent quite a lot of the summer with it parked sideways on a 1 in 3 loading logs in the back door it was quite handy that it could stay open even with the spare on (not massive but substantial being a 265x75R16).

Does anyone have any idea what the spring rate (force) on the gas spring used for this application needs to be? The fitting metal work should be fairly easy to make for this job, and I can easily work out the dimensions of the strut required, but the force will be guess work unless anyone knows any batter.

Nick.

You could work it out!

I'd guess at the door weighing 100kg with a spare tyre, acting around the mid-point of the door - say 50cm from the hinge. It would be reasonable to be able to hold the door open on say a 1:10 slope? If the vehicle were on it's side, the torque trying to close the door would be 1000N x 0.5m = 500Nm. On a 1:1 slope, 250Nm and on a 1:10, 25Nm.

If say the gas strut were attached to the door 10cm from the hinge - that means at full extension it would have to deliver 25Nm / 0.1m = 250N Force.

The rate of a gas strut is not quite the same as for a regular spring - as it will increase as the spring is compressed and the gas pressure increases. The typical values for rate are in the 1.1 to 1.5 range, meaning that at full compression you get 1.1 to 1.5 times the force of full extension. You generally specify a strut by the diameter, stroke and force. I can't remember if this is the max or min force but with a rate of 1.3, it's not going to be all that different end to end.

In this example, I would specify a 250N strut.

Si