My friend had advertised his 90 td5 on Ebay and someone contacted him for a viewing, they came to his home very chatty and seemed pleasant, during a test drive they pulled over to the side of a dark country lane and quite politely suggested that maybe my friend should drive back now as he knows the area better and he had experienced what he wanted during the test drive, he then applied the hand break and unclipped his seatbelt as if to exit the vehicle! my friend got out of the passenger door and walked around the rear of the 90 to enter the drivers seat when the 90 took off down the lane leaving him standing there puzzled for a moment of what was going on!

The guy walked up the street to house wearing a jumper and jeans and called him from his front garden on his mobile,(number withheld) and told a story of his wife had just dropped him off and had gone to the local chip shop! He claimed to have come up from Nottingham that day!

These people are obviously pro's at what they do, he was careful not to enter the house or ring the bell or knock on the door, as to leave no fingerprints (imho) he will have been part of an organised setup and no doubt? would have had a rendevour set up nearby for either placing the stolen landy into the back of a truck (as to avoid gps trackers and anpr camera's) or a set of number plates to hide the real plates as to not show up on police anpr checks? these people are a plague to honest enthusiasts driven by greed and no empathy at all.

the police suspect that it may well be stripped down and sold in parts, this is also disturbing as we as enthusiasts trawl the internet and rumage around shows etc looking for used bargains, when we could be in fact buying parts from stolen land rovers and if our landy got stolen then these parts etc will be sold again!

So anyway in case any of you don't know already, beware if you are selling a landy on Ebay etc! the potential buyer may be more than they seem!

My friend is offering a £1500 reward to information leading to the recovery of his 90.

there is a link here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-90 ... 236wt_1141

• 3 weeks later...

Beware of this thief caught on CCTV posing as a legitimate potential buyer! he had obviously done this before by the clever ways he carried out the theft, walking to the address from around the corner with a plausable story that his wife had dropped him off and gone to get food! and he never touched anything, ie doorbell etc he called when he was approaching the house from a payg phone, note also he seemed to be concealing his left hand?

No hope - sorry, but like my stolen defender this one is unlikely to be returned, I hope I am proved wrong.

4x4 theft is massive and unfortunately a very low priority for our boys and girls in blue. Not their fault - but the days of proactively targeting vehicle crime are gone. These machines are stolen and broken with impunity. In South Yorkshire for example its common knowledge amongst the 4x4 community (and the police) who the thieves and handlers are.

They are still in business - and business is good.

I hope that this defender is recovered and returned to its rightful owner - good luck.

well, surely something can be done now having cctv footage, can't wait to see it on crimewatch, and nail the bar steward,police can only do there job, but it's up to the courts to hand out tougher sentences, like the birch in the town centre and when the other bar stewards see it will think twice, dd

Good quality CCTV. Can you freeze it and blow up an image of the perp's face from the original? The You Tube, compressed version won't be as clear.

When I was looking at Td5's before I bought mine, one of the owners started the truck, then held on to the immobiliser (built in to the key fob) before he let me drive it (I guess I looked shifty!). OK it wouldn't stop you stealing it in similar circumstances if the engine were still running - but it seemed a good idea anyway.

A while back, someone posted a suggestion for a web site to check serial numbers of potentially stolen parts - to which I contributed - but there seemed to be an overwhelming (and surprising) lack of interest from everyone else. You can barely blame the police for lack of interest when we seem disinterested in potential, even if only part, solutions!

Theft of Land Rovers seems to be reaching epidemic proportions with a new post on here every few days, and hearing likewise from other people almost as often. Even if such a site would not protect the original vehicle, there would be less incentive to steal them if the parts were not so totally easy to sell on?

How does a theft like this stand with the Insurance? Presumably they've said 'get lost'?

Si

How does a theft like this stand with the Insurance? Presumably they've said 'get lost'?

Si

Would be very interested in that, it's not a simple I left the keys in the ignition. This is more a confidence trick/con than carelessness. Do house insurances pay out when people posing as water board etc con their way into your house and steal things?

A while back, someone posted a suggestion for a web site to check serial numbers of potentially stolen parts - to which I contributed - but there seemed to be an overwhelming (and surprising) lack of interest from everyone else. You can barely blame the police for lack of interest when we seem disinterested in potential, even if only part, solutions!

Did it get up and running Si? I remember this, but it seemed to die a death. I also thought it was a good idea. It would need to be widely circulated amongst the other forums to be useful, but it could work well.

It might be this website LandyWatch

Not quite.

The idea was that you record the serial numbers of the constituent parts of your Land Rover (or other vehicle). If the vehicle is stolen, you enter them in to an on line database.

When someone wants to buy a used part or vehicle, you either enter (for free) on line, or via a text message - say charged at 25p the serial number of the part. It will message you back with whether it's in the database plus a phone number which will redirect to the owners phone (so it does not give away their identity).

Part of the fee for text messages is used to fund the service and the rest is used to provide a reward to people who aid in the recovery of stolen parts. The person listing the stolen parts would also be able to offer a reward for recovery.

As no data other than if the part is stolen is passed to anybody querying the database and even the owners contact details are via a redirection service, there are no data protection issues. Likewise, it cannot be used to confirm valid serial numbers (which could be used for ringing) as you would either get 'not listed' or 'Stolen'. If you are stupid enough to ring a vehicle with the identity (that you've managed to guess) of a stolen one - then it's probably an advantage as it's more likely to be found out!

Unfortunately the idea became bogged down with worries about data protection & security - and on the whole had a hostile response.

At the moment there is no way at all of telling if an item purchased is stolen. A simple, quick check I think would help. After all, the purchaser of a stolen part is very often as much a victim as the original owner - particularly if it is repossessed and/or they have to satisfy the Police they were not guilty of handling stolen goods. It might make dodgy sellers more wary of buying from 'a bloke down the pub' too!

I think it's a pretty good idea - ideally it would be operated by the Police or Central Government, but I appreciate that's unlikely.

Si

I know that this would not have helped on this occasion but can I draw peoples attention to this http://www.repairmyl...-pedal-discount it's money off a Defender security device and any money saved in this day and age has to be worth a go.

I think the one with the welded sides is better http://www.mudsport....?id_product=255

post-25689-0-38419700-1317939073_thumb.jpg

Apparently it's possible to cut the brake pedal off to remove the one with open sides.

One of them stopped my Land Rover being stolen recently.

if i get a defender, i was thinking about one of these!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cbbed595d

or should i keep taking my medicine? :blush:

I'd be a little suspicious of the quality at that price, it's probably better than nothing..... unless repeated false alarms results in a neighbour setting fire to your Landie to shut it up :P