Wiring loom gone up in smoke... So how to proceed...

Hi folks,

Still a tad in shock, but the mother of all big smoke got let out my wiring yesterday evening... not a total loom loss but from initial investigations its enough damage for me to think hard about what options I now have to get the truck back on the road.

86 LR90 with 200Tdi.

As always it hasn't happen at the best of times, but I'm lucky in that I've got 3 weeks from now before I need her for my new job...

So options...

+ replace with a 2nd hand bulkhead loom I have from a 89, 110, quality unknown yet as it needs removing from old truck.

+ replace with a new (old stock) type loom, found various military ones on fleebay that I could probably get to fit with some modifications

+ Autosparks latest model 200tdi loom... nice shiny and new... coming in at £375.53.... :o

I'm not entertaining the thought of repair just now, I don't think its worth the risk of it now happening again due to other damaged wiring...

So would have to sit down a draw it all out, but this would allow me to wire up all the small ancillaries into the main fuse box area etc...

Anyone any thoughts/advice.... :mellow:

Just when I thought I was due some Happy times with this machine... <_<

Exactly - where did the smoke get out from?

Unmolested looms are fairly robust, it's the older cloth looms, and where someone has been mucking about, where trouble comes from.

G.

I still need to remove the lower dash to get a proper look at it, but from what I can see its confines to the sections between side light switch and fuse box. Initial inspections of engine bay loom and wiring seems to keep the damage in the cab... but aye, need to look for the problem properly before plugging new in.

The notion of making my own up briefly passed through my mind, but its a lot of faff re terminating plugs etc. I'm very much a fan of standard components and enhancing them when possible.

To be fair the original loom design has done well to last 27years when heaven knows how many folk cutting into it with scotch blocks...

I think I'm settling on an autosparks loom, they're pricey, but at least I know where I am with it, and it will be newly made, so the wiring will be as good as it gets.

Does anyone have an idea what PRC8243 is? Hobson have got them online, so I presume they're military...?

Scotchblocks are the work of the devil. I'd use them, but only if I was actually at risk of death if I couldn't get going otherwise.

Mind you, with a good crimp tool, good quality conectors and non sticky PVC tape you can refurbish most hacked about looms.

But, as you say, a new loom is a small investment for a good vehicle, afterall what's £400 compared with the cost of a set of tyres, or a timing belt change for a modern car?

G.

Hey Mike, Nice to meet you too although it was a tad brief!

I just got home luckily, had the bonnet up looking for a fan belt squeal, went to check the temp gauge, but couldn't see it in the dark, put the lights on, noticed the dash lights didn't come on then fizz, rather lucky it didn't happen while I was on the road...

After some digging around this evening, I found most of the damaged wires and I've been quite lucky with the lack of residual damage, from what I've found I've decided to repair in the short term, but order up a new loom to plan to replace is come summer time and more light and warmth!...

From what I can see, I've had a short circuit somehwere close to the instrument illumination bulbs clse behind the dials, its burnt out the supply wires from the switch down to the side lights down to the fuse box and half the wiring to the instrument supply, still trying to get my head around where the short must have been as it seems to have taken out some rather random wires. Using the Haynes circut diagram and looking at the damge, there isn't any fuses in the illumination spur which would have saved the wires.

I've got a few spare fuse slots and already spotting a few weakness' in the loom which I can correct easily which should give me some piece of mind for the mid-term.

A blessing in disguise of sorts I guess as I've actually found some cracks and splits in some other rather key wires, so I'll get them fixed too...

Note: not overlaoded switch as only the side lghts run through that switch as I previously built in relays for the Main and high beam circuits.

I traced in red the bits that have frazzled, the blue represents a crimp connector in place of the old instrument illumination switch

Orange is some added wiring from me to run the clock illumination and I found a rub mark through the insulation where the purple dot is, but this hadn’t melted…

Only the red colour melted,

You’ll also see the wire that connects the two fuses together which I found odd.

post-20087-0-10086100-1385450786_thumb.jpg

If you didn't get as far as switching on the main beams then you may be lucky and get away with the red sidelight circuits. if your side/lights still work front and rear, then whip the fuses out and get the clocks out.

Mine went in the same place just after I bought it. I recon it was a dodgy bulb on the clock illumination as you say there are no fuses. I think it had shorted to ground and done a good job of the red wire getting v hot. This in turn turned it into a hot knife cutting into several other colours at the back of the dash. Just check where the melty bits are haven't cut into the rest of the loom then cut out the ofending wire and replace with 5a? cable, you could add a 3-5a fuse for good measure?

If you didn't get as far as switching on the main beams then you may be lucky and get away with the red sidelight circuits. if your side/lights still work front and rear, then whip the fuses out and get the clocks out.

Mine went in the same place just after I bought it. I recon it was a dodgy bulb on the clock illumination as you say there are no fuses. I think it had shorted to ground and done a good job of the red wire getting v hot. This in turn turned it into a hot knife cutting into several other colours at the back of the dash. Just check where the melty bits are haven't cut into the rest of the loom then cut out the ofending wire and replace with 5a? cable, you could add a 3-5a fuse for good measure?

Funny you should mention dodgy bulbs... 2 days before it happened I noticed the light in the cigarette lighter had stopped working I got it to flash on with hitting it, but then nothing - I've experienced a short from a small switched bulb before when I had the old style hazard switch (as opposed to the Td5 type). I'll be doing some careful circuit testing before I start it up again...