LT230 rebuild or replace?

Hi all, my transfer box has started to whine and it probably well overdue a rebuild with nearly 200k on the clock. 

I don't want to go to the extent of an Ashcroft one as I'm pretty sure I can rebuild it myself and I'm not keen on buying a second hand one as the prices of the 1.4 boxes are not much less than getting the box rebuilt, and not knowing the history of it I could still end up rebuilding that one.

So my question is has anyone rebuilt their LT230? Tough job or simple? How many hours are in the rebuild?

alternatively, anyone want to swap a 1.4 for the 1.2 I have?

Easy to rebuild - especially with one of the overhaul kits you can get with all the bearings, sleeves, seals etc

As for time, I rebuilt the last one significantly quicker than my first one, but probably took me a couple of days but did not work on it all the time. I am lucky I have a dishwasher in my workshop which saw plenty of action though!

You have gone the other way to me - I have a 1.2 in my 110 now.

Toby

Doug,

I've done a couple and they are much easier than a main gearbox. Just take your time, and take plenty of photos as you take it apart. I start on a clean bench lined with brown paper so that I can write observations and draw diagrams as I go.. The linkages for the diff lock

I'd recommend getting the kit from Shabs Piercy at www.onlinegearboxparts.com and if you are feeling flush, consider a slick shift for the main box too. He sells known bearings and decent gaskets etc.

Shabs also sells upgraded parts - cross-drilled input gear etc. Its all on the website. 

If you do buy a slick shift, buy a new turret (£15-ish) because the slots in the side wear, and take the time to set it up so that the stick wants to sit in neutral in between 3 & 4. I didn't initially and was frustrated with the feel, sent Shabs an email and got some very helpful texts back - top bloke.

Thanks guys. I've had my eye on the rebuild kits for a while but didn't want to commit. I will be fitting the cross pin and proper bearings. Is a press absolutely essential? I have a pretty savage hydraulic puller which could work

• 4 years later...
On 3/2/2017 at 7:15 PM, dangerous doug said:

Thanks guys. I've had my eye on the rebuild kits for a while but didn't want to commit. I will be fitting the cross pin and proper bearings. Is a press absolutely essential? I have a pretty savage hydraulic puller which could work

Did you ever do this Doug? Pondering having a go myself or letting Ashcrofts do it

Mike has a video guide on rebuilding LT230s (and also LT77s and R380s) on his BritRest (Britannica Restorations) YouTube videos.  They’re very informative and he’s quite an entertaining presenter.  He did another LT230 very recently, so there will be at least two series to watch on his channel.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 11:33 AM, L19MUD said:

Pondering having a go myself or letting Ashcrofts do it

Hi @L19MUD, what did you do? It might be written-up elsewhere so apologies if I’ve missed it.

I have just removed mine today, got as far as removing the intermediate shaft and gears but then started to wonder if buying an exchange from Ashcroft would just make life simpler. Something in my head says don’t rebuild as I have loads of other things to do, like investigate a noisy Roamerdrive for a start.

Edit. I was almost certainly going to change the diff too for the Ashcroft ATB. They will put one in if I ask. 

Edited by Peaklander
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Hi @L19MUD, what did you do? It might be written-up elsewhere so apologies if I’ve missed it.

I have just removed mine today, got as far as removing the intermediate shaft and gears but then started to wonder if buying an exchange from Ashcroft would just make life simpler. Something in my head says don’t rebuild as I have loads of other things to do, like investigate a noisy Roamerdrive for a start.

Edit. I was almost certainly going to change the diff too for the Ashcroft ATB. They will put one in if I ask. 

I haven't done anything yet! It is still in the truck and in use.

Whatever happens I will fit an Ashcroft ATB if I go to the effort of sorting the rest out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Don’t be too scared of trying these things.  If you do it to save labour charges, it’ll probably be a false economy as you would likely have to buy shim packs and tools, but if you want to do it for the learning and the challenge, there is little to lose - you can always get them to do it if you find yourself in over your head.  They need more patience than anything else to set up, especially the diffs, but if you are keeping most of the parts and just replacing bearings and bushes and the centre diff, then the shims should already be set up from the factory.  Even with diffs, that seems the case - I have found that with two Salisbury and now a Rover unit.  You just need a bit of time and space and to be methodical.

Since you have other things on and you want to rebuild your Roverdrive, you might want to consider the option a bit more.  The Roverdrive won’t need the central needle bearing replaced unless another bearing has collapsed and the shafts have moved significantly (I’m assuming a similar configuration on the epicyclic unit to the Series version); that needle bearing supports the front end of the sun shaft, and whenever the unit is disengaged there is no relative motion between the shaft and the planter gear carrier.  When the overdrive is engaged, the sun shaft is locked to the rear casing, so the bearing will now spin up, but it carries little load as the planet gears will centre the carrier on the shaft - the beauty of epicyclic gears is that they have no tangential loads and so their bearings tend to last well.  You wouldn’t need to strip the unit with the difficult circlips to get at that sun bearing, just replacing the more easily accessed bearings in the casings and on the big assemblies.

• Like 1

Yes I rebuilt mine, and didn’t need a press. Be warned you need a good selection of shims to get things right. I also stripped three transfer boxes to get enough good bits to rebuild one good one. The centre diffs are often very worn as there aren’t really any proper bearings in them. Beware the casings can also wear and the holes in the casing that the pin the intermediate gear runs on can wear and and require sleeving (or just find a better case).

Replace all the bearings and make sure you follow the manual and shim it all correctly.

easy enough otherwise.

jon

• Like 1

I was told by a re-builder (not Ashcrofts) that the Intermediate shaft would be worn and so would the thrust washers in the diff. The shaft looks worn but I only have a cheapy caliper, not a micrometer so I can't measure it accurately enough. I do have a small press, bought just the other day as it popped up on FB but whether I have enough old races and sockets to use as mandrels, I don't know. I'd maybe get started and then have to go and find some bar and tube offcuts or find a machine shop who could make a few.

IMG_5383.thumb.JPG.9f3972905dd61d11008b56d1d207b936.JPG

I suppose if I overhaul or exchange I will still specify the sleeved case, maybe just a recon Intermediate shaft, a full bearing / overhaul kit, etc etc. so costs will easily rise.

I think I will pay for Ashcroft  labour, buy an exchange, sleeved unit, get their ATB fitted and be happy that it is done, perfectly. I still need to repair the Roamerdrive and I must look at my front diff - I'm sure that needs checking too.

15 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I was told by a re-builder (not Ashcrofts) that the Intermediate shaft would be worn and so would the thrust washers in the diff. The shaft looks worn but I only have a cheapy caliper, not a micrometer so I can't measure it accurately enough. I do have a small press, bought just the other day as it popped up on FB but whether I have enough old races and sockets to use as mandrels, I don't know. I'd maybe get started and then have to go and find some bar and tube offcuts or find a machine shop who could make a few.

IMG_5383.thumb.JPG.9f3972905dd61d11008b56d1d207b936.JPG

I suppose if I overhaul or exchange I will still specify the sleeved case, maybe just a recon Intermediate shaft, a full bearing / overhaul kit, etc etc. so costs will easily rise.

I think I will pay for Ashcroft  labour, buy an exchange, sleeved unit, get their ATB fitted and be happy that it is done, perfectly. I still need to repair the Roamerdrive and I must look at my front diff - I'm sure that needs checking too.

I like the word Warranty. I can never find the time for bigger jobs , these days... I hate paying for work, not becuase I'm tight, but becuase I'm poor, but worse still is the time that the vehicle is off the road

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I like the word Warranty. I can never find the time for bigger jobs , these days... I hate paying for work, not becuase I'm tight, but becuase I'm poor, but worse still is the time that the vehicle is off the road

You are not alone Lovvers ! 😁

Mo

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:23 PM, Snagger said:

Together with the Roverdrive photos, I think you have had water ingress ruin the oil and lead to all these bearing issues

I don't know how that can have happened. I haven't had any oil leaks and not done any deep water so I can;t see how water can have got in. i don't think that the drained oil has any water in it but maybe it's sitting underneath in the bowl I used.

The intermediate shaft discolouration looks worse than it is and I don't think it is pitted. At the moment it is back in the case whilst I decide what to do, so I can't quickly have another look!

53 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I don't know how that can have happened. I haven't had any oil leaks and not done any deep water so I can;t see how water can have got in. i don't think that the drained oil has any water in it but maybe it's sitting underneath in the bowl I used.

The intermediate shaft discolouration looks worse than it is and I don't think it is pitted. At the moment it is back in the case whilst I decide what to do, so I can't quickly have another look!

Condensation?

3 hours ago, Peaklander said:

@Nonimouse has it right I think, my last LT230 was removed because, after being parked up for a long period, the selector shaft in the top section actually got so furry with surface rust that it seized in the housing and thus made it impossible to select high range. Box had plenty of fresh oil etc. wasn't worn or damaged but you could swing off the hi-low lever with your feet against the dashboard and it would not budge.

I'll probably never know, as functionally there's nothing wrong with the T Box. I have only removed it to overhaul as planned maintenance. The Roamerdrive is a different case though, as that was noisy but not excessively so and was working fine. There seems to be a lot wrong inside, noisy sun shaft bearing and wobbly planet gears, even though there was plenty of oil in it.