Final help and opinions for my 110 300tdi rebuild

Hi All,

Sorry for semi-long-winded post. It's been a long time since on the forums. A long story which I will explain when I upload my rebuild blog in the members vehicle section when everything is complete, including references and thanks to forum members whose advice has been invaluable. And I have been abusing my supporting membership so I have just lobbed another 20 quid donation to LR4x4 (out of thanks not guilt). Anyway the rolling chassis is up and I am have just a few hurdles to resolve:

1. Stainless Steel Exhausts - Seems like Double S hold the market. I'm looking at Griffin performance ones as well. My only thoughts being that SS use sections with flanges (I think) like the original whereas the other types are push fit sections that clamp. I have had friends with the latter who have found it next to impossible to disassemble a pushfit/clamp one at a later date. Any opinions on decent stainless exhausts for a 110
  2. Strange bracket that sits between A-frame chassis cross member and underside of rear tub. Picture one shows my old vehicle. Picture 2 shows new chassis and where the bracket goes. I believe the original part number is NRC5478 which looks like picture 3 but this seems unavailable and is superseded by KVU101430 which looks different (picture 4).
  3. Where can I get (galvanised preferably) the the upper and lower brackets that fit the upper steering column to the bulkhead
  4. I'm struggling to get an entire heater blower/matrix/fan assembly unit (I have a feeling this is going to burn me!)

Any help on the above greatly welcomed. Suddenly everything is happening! Just these last few bits and she should be back on the road!!!!!!

Cheers
Ziggy

Old landrover chassis bracket.jpg

New chassis where bracket i need goes.jpg

bracket.jpg

new bracket.jpg

Mines a 200tdi and it never had those brackets when I rebuilt her and I never fitted any when I put her back together and have had no problems. If you put BTR1116 in eBay there’s a new heater/blower and matrix for£360 plus£20 postage old stock manufacturer warranty has run out hope this helps . Try YRM for your galved bits .

cheers Ian 

the bracket is just there to support the rear lower body, so the later version will do the same job with a rubber pad on top. it doesn't matter if the pad area is legthways or across, 

YRM metal solutions might be able to help with the steering column brackets 

for a complete heater unit contact http://barneyproctor.wixsite.com/cornishwreckers

good to see you back on here. 

Pastycrimper, sorry i can't offer any help or advice, but have been contemplating a stainless steel exhaust for the 90. Have just looked at the Double S web site on your advice about using the flange system. Very impressed must say so will keep them in mind for when mone and wifey allows!?!

Do you have a price for the parts for your 110 as this would give me so idea for doing the 90 300tdi plus save phoning them?

Cheers Andy 

Have a search on here for stainless exhaust. @CwazyWabbit had some issues with I think his DoubleS exhaust, and I think he went for a griffin instead? 

Steering column brackets I'd suggest getting yours galvanised, it's what I've done. 

As for the heater, I picked one up from Newbury sortout for I think £50? 

On the topic of stainless steel exhaust I have a Double SS on my factory 200tdi 90 and I'm not all that impressed with it, it came as a pretty narrow bore and the downpipe brackets where set for a Diesel turbo which are in slightly different place that a 200, the way they build the sections you I also needed to haul out the chassis mid cross-member, so... when it was finally in after a few weeks of driving I was getting a incessant rattle from the rear box, noisy on the inside and really noise from outside, I approached them about it and they said no problem, send it back and they'd fix it... considering I'm at the other end of the country not really an option. So I just a hole into the box to have a look, turned out the muffler material they used was a cheap glass wool and for whatever reason it had been belted in blobs of glass which where then rattling around. Pretty carp and very disappointing, I'll be building my own bigger bore one to replace it once I get a bit of time free.

Oh and as per Snaggers below, yup it does look rubbish too, surface corrosion in no time and the flanges I think might even have been mild steel as they have corrode excessively...

I had a Double S exhaust years ago.  The silencer stayed clean, but the rest of the system looked terrible within 12 months, covered in surface corrosion.  The stainless grade was very poor.  It was still strong and showed no signs of needing replacement from a functional perspective, but it did look rubbish.  That was bought about 20 years ago, so hopefully it was an issue they addressed, but nothing I have heard about them leads me to believe they have moved to being a high quality producer.

Thanks for the heads up on the Double S front guys, think i will bin them as an option. If am to spend a good amount of money on a SS exhaust, I WANT a GOOD exhaust!

I know some on here have used Griffin and liked their work, neil110 posted he used PD Gough nr. Nottingham and have messaged him for some info on them as i live local to Notts. So it would be easier to sort/resolve any issues if there were any.

Wow. I don't post for ages...ask a few questions, go to the pub, wake up and the forum provides........

I'll discuss exhausts below. In the meantime I managed to get yesterday from Thorntons 4x4 breakers an upper and lower steering column sections of a 2016 TDCi and also a heater blower off a 2007 TDI delivered for £100. Hopefully the heater box is still in good nick. I also stumbled across these people - Landrover Refurb (http://www.lr-refurb.co.uk/) who have the steering column brackets galvanised! I've used YRM loads as well!

12 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

How soon do you need a complete heater unit?

I'm expecting the one from scrappers on Monday - if it really is carp I'll get in touch! I'm hoping to finalise the complete build over the next two weeks.

18 hours ago, western said:

the bracket is just there to support the rear lower body, so the later version will do the same job with a rubber pad on top. it doesn't matter if the pad area is legthways or across, 

YRM metal solutions might be able to help with the steering column brackets 

for a complete heater unit contact http://barneyproctor.wixsite.com/cornishwreckers

good to see you back on here. 

20 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Mines a 200tdi and it never had those brackets when I rebuilt her and I never fitted any when I put her back together and have had no problems. If you put BTR1116 in eBay there’s a new heater/blower and matrix for£360 plus£20 postage old stock manufacturer warranty has run out hope this helps . Try YRM for your galved bits .

cheers Ian 

Cheers guys - this is great to know. I can still get the later brackets for cheapish......just not sure I can clean them down and galvanise them in time before I put the rear tub back on

@Ralph - Thanks for the Barney Proctor link - I had never heard of them! Good to know  about. Are there any galvanisers left in Cornwall. I've been getting my stuff picked up from Newlyn and it goes up Deveon /Crediton way - about a 1 week turnaround.

My other option as it is quite a simple piece is to try and get something that will do the job fabricated in decent thick guage Stainless steel

12 hours ago, Mutley said:

Pastycrimper, sorry i can't offer any help or advice, but have been contemplating a stainless steel exhaust for the 90. Have just looked at the Double S web site on your advice about using the flange system. Very impressed must say so will keep them in mind for when mone and wifey allows!?!

Do you have a price for the parts for your 110 as this would give me so idea for doing the 90 300tdi plus save phoning them?

Cheers Andy 

I'll confirm 100% shortly but I think £460 excluding delivery.

Regarding Exhausts:

I've just heard too much negative press about DOuble S systems. I'm sure they're fine but like Mutley I want a good one. I'm surprised to find very little on here or other forums about Griffin. Some on here have one but very little comments.

I've just been in touch with Twisted (!!) and they seem to do a nice one which still has flanged sections but this is only TD5 onwards....no 300tdi option.

Anyway I think I am just going to put faith in Griffin!

Just been looking at other threads on SS exhaust and noticed neil 110 had used PD Goughs in Nottingham. He seems satisfiedwith the work and quality. 

Have messaged him as they are local to me, so they may be worth a look at?

One of the troubles I have is the vehicle is off the road so I need an exhaust system delivered to be fitted by me. From what I have read I see some happy customers who have just used bespoke custom exhaust firms but that wont work for me. 

I'm planning on getting the Griffin 300TDI option with 3" downpipe to a centre box silencer and then straight through with no rear silencer and have the TD5 end pipe out the back rather than the old 300tdi side exit

My new problem is trying to get galvanised brackets that hold the door check straps (Front and rear). I mean the brackets that fix to the bulkhead for the fronts and the reinforcement plate plate and bracket that the rear check strap bolts to.

I fear there will be a few parts that go on here ungalavanised!

Pastycrimper....with the galvy issue, as long as the parts are rust free give them a couple of coats of Bonda Primer (though one coat is good enough), then paint Hammerite Silver so as not to look out of place with the galv. Could be an option? Just a thought.

I'm not aware of Any galvanisers in Cornwall, nearest is I believe at Crediton, but have seen some reports of poor work from them, 

my Stainless exhaust is a Double S system [TD] had it fitted about 18 years ago by Douglas motors near Banbury, haven't had cause for any problems, I did replace the big centre silencer with a straight through pipe, https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/11152-goodbye-front-silencer/