Show me your Camping setups

Jon W

This was our camping setup when we visited @tuko in september on his Småland Traxx.

5a93c66dd5987_2017-09-0810_35_07.thumb.jpg.3f1aad4bc5f379075a4a7d4e39814820.jpg

Me an my wife in the roof toop tent (on the trailer) and my friends in the other tent.

A quickup tent for the dinning area. Nice Trip, cant say the same about the weather.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, finnarne said:

This was our camping setup when we visited @tuko in september on his Småland Traxx.

Me an my wife in the roof toop tent (on the trailer) and my friends in the other tent.

A quickup tent for the dinning area. Nice Trip, cant say the same about the weather.

All 4 days it rain cats and dogs! The trails certainly took prisoners. :lol: 

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2018 at 1:39 PM, finnarne said:

Love this camping setup ❤️

It looks like caranex may have ceased trading / their website hasn’t been updated in ages and they aren’t replying to messages....

Is there an alternative that I might be able to use to put a porch on the back of my 80”? 

I have ended up with 2 tents, a big Kyham quick erect tent which is big enough for me and wife and dog with a large porch area for holidays etc. But have also just got a Caranex to use when it is just me on my own in the land rover. Keep an eye out 2nd hand, I just got one of this forum.

Jury is out on whether I would get an awning or not having borrowed one it had some uses but im not fully convinced but if I was to stump up the cash I would get an ARB 2m to fit on the 90 and it extends out futher to 2.5m so I could fit my camp bed in it.

Oztent are really good but unfortunately don't pack up small as are over 2m long folded so would have to go on the roof of a short vehicle. A better solution I think is the Darche Awning tent which can attach to an awning or just use it as a large porch area. https://www.trekoverland.com/collections/darche-australian-roof-tents-awnings-and-camping-accessories/products/xtender-2-5-awning-tent-darche-t050801765 but packs down small, there are some you tube videos of putting it up. Bit pricey but most these type of tents seem to be 

Other options are landie tent but not real room to cook etc

Jon 

1 hour ago, Jon W said:

I have ended up with 2 tents, a big Kyham quick erect tent which is big enough for me and wife and dog with a large porch area for holidays etc. But have also just got a Caranex to use when it is just me on my own in the land rover. Keep an eye out 2nd hand, I just got one of this forum.

Jury is out on whether I would get an awning or not having borrowed one it had some uses but im not fully convinced but if I was to stump up the cash I would get an ARB 2m to fit on the 90 and it extends out futher to 2.5m so I could fit my camp bed in it.

Oztent are really good but unfortunately don't pack up small as are over 2m long folded so would have to go on the roof of a short vehicle. A better solution I think is the Darche Awning tent which can attach to an awning or just use it as a large porch area. https://www.trekoverland.com/collections/darche-australian-roof-tents-awnings-and-camping-accessories/products/xtender-2-5-awning-tent-darche-t050801765 but packs down small, there are some you tube videos of putting it up. Bit pricey but most these type of tents seem to be 

Other options are landie tent but not real room to cook etc

Jon 

It's quite expensive.

We have a Khyam quick erect, four bedroom drive-away that we swap from the T4 to the Disco and back as we use a magnetic locating strip.

Also have a 3 and a 4 man Quechua airbeam 4XL type.

I have a couple of awnings that just clip onto the gutter rail of the Disco - cheap chinese units that seem to very good

I have some 2 and 3-man Quechua 2-Seconds Air tents (like the 2-Seconds, but with sides that can open out a little for ventilation) and a pop up Quechua 2x2 person with central square room (Base Seconds 4.2, I think it was called).  They’re really convenient and very lightweight and compact when stowed.  I expected the latter to be a bit flimsy, but it was sturdy and completed dry inside in a fairly harsh thunderstorm.  I was very impressed by them.

I also have a very cheap awning that uses a couple of tent poles and has a plastic C-channel strip for screwing to the side of the vehicle with a chord sewn in along the awning edge to be pulled along the channel, but we just use clips and small bungies to secure it to the roof rack.  It folds up in a small bag half the size of a camping chair bag.

Those aren’t much use for winter camping, but they work well in the summer, are very cheap, very lightweight and compact, are not permanent or semipermanent vehicle fixtures and allow you to use the vehicle without breaking camp, while being really easy to set up.  I think there is a good middle ground between vehicles with expansive fitted facilities that are instantly ready for camping, but can’t be used for other tasks and need the camp broken down if you want to drive somewhere, and big heavy tents and awnings that give very comfortable camps but take a lot of load space and a lot of time to set up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 10:02 PM, paintman said:

Can't help with pics of me using it but having borrowed my youngest's carp bed for a week under canvas last year I can thoroughly recommend them for comfort. I'm 6'4 & slim & it's fine for length. I'm borrowing it for another week this summer!

It's the one featured in this clip.

If you have a big tackle dealer near you you might want to have a look at some of the various carp bivvies as they are usually excellent quality & rather more robust than the usual family stuff as they are used year round.

I have one of those for the glamping mode, its super comfortable, buy very bulky even when folded. Think most of the boot of a car.