1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Or is it the same crank 2/300?

TGV and 300 are nominally the same but share no components. Think the block (by the end) had more waterways (or rather disused ones opened up). I knew the bore was bigger but it turns out the crank is a longer stroke as well.

When I snapped the first crank I thought about converting the old block but there were so many differences it wasn't worth it.

33 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Honestly I think the whole engine choice thing pretty much boils down to personal preference, every engine has good points and bad points and it just ends up in an internet bun-fight to argue over the details.

The big positive with a LR lump - be it TDi or V8 or whatever - is you're in the same parts bin for everything.

This

Well okay I was being a bit facetious, you probably can make a lot of 300 components fit and vice versa but from my research a few years ago if you got two "new" engines of either they wouldn't share many common part numbers.

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

@miketomcat, I'll point out I have a lathe, milling machine and a pile of scrap....lol

Regards Stephen

Edit : and a s**t load of determination........

Whilst I know this you would need to machine the input shaft. So unless you can get the whole gearbox in the lathe and drive the input through the gearbox :ph34r: You're going to need to strip the box to machine to the input, at which point just change the box, keep it diesel or find an engine/mod the crank to take a bigger spigot (see my comments about the gearbox :hysterical:)

I'm not saying don't :stirthepot: just you need to check before committing as I don't know what the series adapter includes.

Mike

14 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Whilst I know this you would need to machine the input shaft. So unless you can get the whole gearbox in the lathe and drive the input through the gearbox :ph34r: You're going to need to strip the box to machine to the input, at which point just change the box, keep it diesel or find an engine/mod the crank to take a bigger spigot (see my comments about the gearbox :hysterical:)

I'm not saying don't :stirthepot: just you need to check before committing as I don't know what the series adapter includes.

Mike

You're talking to the man who did cut up a set of very looong nose diff's , and they work😁   So pulling apart a gearbox to shorten a input shaft.... Well..  poor gear box😇

You cannot bolt a V8 bell housing to your box that would work straight away as the V8 engine pattern only come in 'long' flavour and you have a 'short' box. You could chop some length out of a long one but the easiest and best way is to use an adaptor that bolts to the engine and has the 'short' diesel bolt pattern. these come up for about £50 usually. you will more than likely also need a spigot bush adaptor but this is nothing to a man of your abilities, the clutch would be a mix of standard LR parts.

Personally I feel that engine choice in your case should be primarily driven by packaging constraints first and foremost.  I also think that a breathed on 200 will be more than enough for Sid bar the extended rev range  but that's a whole other internet bun fight! 

On a semi serious note I have an LD28 sitting around which is a pure mechanical diesel. Revs high for a diesel (about 5000rpm if I recall). Quite a compact engine despite being a straight 6. Didn't really work in the Sandringham but in a lighter vehicle might work well. Had a turbo bolted on the side and a DIY adapter plate to take it to a V8 bell housing (LT95).

To you @Stellaghost I'd be happy to donate it to the Sid project. Could bung it on a pallet up to you if you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we shoehorneed a lexus v8 into my old mans tvr , i nearly looked at swapping the 3.5 for one in my other 110 but the spare engine we had needd too much work so was used as a tst block for fitment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Well okay I was being a bit facetious, you probably can make a lot of 300 components fit and vice versa but from my research a few years ago if you got two "new" engines of either they wouldn't share many common part numbers.

Glancing over the parts catalogue, for the 2.8 I reckon about 50% of the parts still have LR part numbers. I think that's not bad for an engine that's been redesigned with different crank, cam, pistons, rods, turbo, and which was never fitted in a LR engine bay. :D

(It's actually not much higher for the HS2.5, and that *is* a 300tdi, except for not generally living in a LR engine bay.)

Many of the other parts are identical, but locally sourced, or are redesigned to address some issue, but LR parts will just fit instead.

On the other hand, no, they are troublesome rubbish and you should stay well away from them. In fact if you know where any real original 2.8TGVs are sat around in the way, let me know, I'll be round in the morning with the trailer to clear the problem away for you :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if they are still easily or cheaply available, but the bottle jack supplied with Merc Sprinters has a usefully long multi-section ram, but looks like the standard LR jack at a glance. I've used one to jack Unimog portals before - though I'm not sure what size tyres it was wearing.

At one time there were lots on ebay because fleet operators removed them from the vans. A lot of D3 owners bought them because the LR supplied scissor jack is lethal. ISTR @FridgeFreezer has one for his 109?

I had one, still have one somewhere, for the RR because a normal single extension jack has no where near enough travel to come close to lifting the wheels off.

Looking at Stephens photo I think the Sprinter bottle jack would extend to just above the body of the big jack he's got. If I can find it I'll take a piccy comparing the two because I've got a Disco jack in the 110.

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

On a semi serious note I have an LD28 sitting around which is a pure mechanical diesel. Revs high for a diesel (about 5000rpm if I recall). Quite a compact engine despite being a straight 6. Didn't really work in the Sandringham but in a lighter vehicle might work well. Had a turbo bolted on the side and a DIY adapter plate to take it to a V8 bell housing (LT95).

To you @Stellaghost I'd be happy to donate it to the Sid project. Could bung it on a pallet up to you if you want.

You are a very generous man Mr Poore, however I am going to decline your offer as it's only 6 and you guys have got me wound up for a minimum of 8........, Until that happens I'going to wring a few more horses out of the 200tdi

Regards Stephen

• Like 2
  • Haha 2