12 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

@NRS91 on the spacer kit you sent, do you still keep the original shims along with the one in your kit

Tia regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Yea I normally put my shim in the cap and then put the original shims on top so they are the ones contacting the spring 

• Thanks 1

That is what a friend and I dubbed silly hour. After about 11pm after an 18h day we occasionally had silly ideas that we'd try out. Occasionally we'd have a genius idea but usually we cost the company a few thousand when things went pop.

Once we called silly hour we had an agreement we probably shouldn't be running live tests on 1.7kV 250kW power supplies we were designing.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Some help to wake Sid up bits in post this morning.....

20230712_121253.thumb.jpg.1af1634a9aa1d1662eb8f87f06ae189a.jpg

Don't be surprised if there are some fitting related questions coming up shortly...

Regards Stephen 

Personally I'm not a fan of that style boost controller.

Reason being it's basically a controlled boost leak when you are up to pressure. I used to just crank the wastegate tighter (to around 20psi) it doesn't eliminate wastegate creep but it's less to go wrong and no possible dirt or water entry points.

Just my 2p.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NRS91 said:

Personally I'm not a fan of that style boost controller.

Reason being it's basically a controlled boost leak when you are up to pressure. I used to just crank the wastegate tighter (to around 20psi) it doesn't eliminate wastegate creep but it's less to go wrong and no possible dirt or water entry points.

Just my 2p.

Thanks, boost controller thing was highlighted by a forum member so I just went with it, haven't done anything lli!e this before so it's all learning

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NRS91 said:

and no possible dirt or water entry points.

Well spotted - I guess a talented chap like Stephen could tap that housing and add a remote breather or fabricate something to suit, now we know it's an issue.

18 hours ago, NRS91 said:

Hi Stephen,

Yea I normally put my shim in the cap and then put the original shims on top so they are the ones contacting the spring 

@NRS91 with your kit, or anyone else with knowledge, is it essential to have boost controller and would you also tweek the fuel pump plastic locking tab, give you more fuel thing or are they to step it up another level again

Regards Stephen

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

@NRS91 with your kit, or anyone else with knowledge, is it essential to have boost controller and would you also tweek the fuel pump plastic locking tab, give you more fuel thing or are they to step it up another level again

Regards Stephen

@Stellaghost I have tried the boost controllers and even made my own to experiment and if Im honest the improvement was negligible when compared to an adjusted wastegate (shorten the arm to increase pre-load on the wastegate).
I also sometimes had the ball and spring jam so you would get no boost or too much boost depending on how it jammed (it was rare though).

For tuning I would install the boost pin and dynamic timing advance spacer kit and then take it for a run.
You will probably notice the off boost fuelling is lower and sluggish until the turbo wakes up then it will go, this is because the boost pin gives you the full range of motion of the boost compensation so your start position has less fuelling and your max boost position has more fuelling.

For:
More off boost fuelling you wind the "smoke screw" in the cap of the AFC housing down CW.
More overall fuelling you wind the "max power screw" in the back of the pump by the injector lines CW in (careful, if you go too far it will cover the spill port fully and the governor won't be able to reduce rpm once you've revved it up). This will affect your idle speed so you will need to adjust your end stops and throttle cable.
Slower adding of fuel as boost builds wind the "star wheel" under the boost pin return spring CCW up to add more pre-load on the boost pin spring.
Less fuelling as max boost add the white nylon ring bumpstop back around the boost pin to limit its overall travel, thin its thickness down on flat piece of sandpaper until you have the fuelling required.

VE pump tweaking is a case of making one small 1/4 or 1/2 turn adjustment at a time and testing it to see how the engine responds as due to manufacturing tolerances and wear they all respond a little differently.

Here is a handy short guide from the Cummins community, unfortunately I cant find the old in depth one I used when I first started: https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/1st-generation/engine/49_fuel/tuning-up-a-ve-injection-pump-r299/

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decisions, decisions, what do you guys think

Was looking at the front of Sid and thought I could lose a whole load of weight by fitting a low line winch, cue new Rhino winch and also improve my approach angle a wee bit

Without warn 8274

20230713_152230.thumb.jpg.72dd9876520d912f58d873b4d078bb39.jpg

20230713_152237.thumb.jpg.f91ad75e70a4aa2938b1bb6bf68008b3.jpg

with mocked up Rhino low line

20230713_152605.thumb.jpg.8c3bee67f411ff496a9a2f8250e38351.jpg

20230713_152557.thumb.jpg.38ebc099c8d56a2db288a6ce6bc36221.jpg

Weight would be mainly lost with a new lighter bumper, as I'm thinking of putting the 8274 into the rear

regards Stephen 

• Like 4

So power steering box fitted, no leaks, radiator and oil cooler fitted, no guysers...lol

Boost pin and dynamic spacer fitted, engine  seems a bit better, won't know until it's tried in anger, but Sid is mobile once again

Question will a servo off a 90 or 110 fit Sid because I don't think my servo is as good as it should be

Regards Stephen

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

So power steering box fitted, no leaks, radiator and oil cooler fitted, no guysers...lol

Boost pin and dynamic spacer fitted, engine  seems a bit better, won't know until it's tried in anger, but Sid is mobile once again

Question will a servo off a 90 or 110 fit Sid because I don't think my servo is as good as it should be

Regards Stephen

On mine the big one, does fit.  By shortening the pedalbox. Then the servo sit's lower

2 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

That grille looks so good I forgot it was home made for a while😂 

I have a nice pto winch and a pto for an lt230 for sale if you want to save some weight. 

Thanks

I've thought about going down that route before, but no experience with them also if engine dies you still have a means to extract up to a point with electric, but thanks for offering

Regards Stephen

4 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

This thing has infinity symbols where there should be numbers for approach and departure angles.  

Is it possible it could climb vertical walls? 

It might.......if it doesn't push the wall over first.........

Regards Stephen

• Haha 2

I am completely different in the tuning approach: I have replaced the boost pin screw with a longer one ( it is M8 fine thread) and fully adjusted the original boost pin in the down position (fully open). The max fuel delivery is unaltered, but it is available to you at any time. Anyone who has been in my car asks what the hell have i done to this engine, for it to deliver this power.

It goes incredibly well (I have done a ton on road tires and 3.5 diffs).

Also, I think your clearance issues will improve a lot with the fitment of a 300TDI.

Daan

PTO winches are awesome but unless you do a daan they are slow and heavy. Great if you want to recover others all day long but not so good for self recovery. Matching wheel speed is very difficult (impossible on some) so drive assist is out.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daan said:

I am completely different in the tuning approach: I have replaced the boost pin screw with a longer one ( it is M8 fine thread) and fully adjusted the original boost pin in the down position (fully open). The max fuel delivery is unaltered, but it is available to you at any time. Anyone who has been in my car asks what the hell have i done to this engine, for it to deliver this power.

It goes incredibly well (I have done a ton on road tires and 3.5 diffs).

Also, I think your clearance issues will improve a lot with the fitment of a 300TDI.

Daan

Typically bypassing the AFC housing like that causes plumes of black smoke until the turbo can catch up, also leads to undesirable effects like bore washing and carbon build up but for limited use off road toys it would take years to see any negative consequences.
The yanks would call it an "AFC Delete" 🤣

Edited by NRS91
cant spell for carp

10 hours ago, miketomcat said:

PTO winches are awesome but unless you do a daan they are slow and heavy. Great if you want to recover others all day long but not so good for self recovery. Matching wheel speed is very difficult (impossible on some) so drive assist is out.

Mike

Is there a write up on Daan's winch ??

Regards Stephen

Aren't you going to suffer even worse than most because of the gearing in the portals if you want to drive assist? The gearing needs to be even higher than most.

Funnily enough as both the 110 and the 6x6 have PTO hydraulic pumps on I was thinking ultimately I'd go hydraulic winches on both. After 7 Sisters I can see the benefits of decoupling the winching from the drive train, at least for the 110. The 6x6 will always be a work horse.

I think a good hydro set-up would suit Sid very well. But they're not cheap...

Then again, with Stephen's knack for finding stuff in the scrap bin at work, I'm sure he can find some hydraulic motors and cobble something together :D

17 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Decisions, decisions, what do you guys think

Was looking at the front of Sid and thought I could lose a whole load of weight by fitting a low line winch, cue new Rhino winch and also improve my approach angle a wee bit

Without warn 8274

with mocked up Rhino low line

20230713_152605.thumb.jpg.8c3bee67f411ff496a9a2f8250e38351.jpg

Weight would be mainly lost with a new lighter bumper, as I'm thinking of putting the 8274 into the rear

regards Stephen 

I have the same winch on my series, Stephen. Whilst I mainly use it for mild self-recovery and recovery of others on lanes and such, I have to say it has worked well for me so far. I have replaced the wire cable with a synthetic rope.

• Thanks 1