20230811_132356.thumb.jpg.b83a49496ccf6551c747e67aa0632323.jpg

ring gear heated up and slipped on

20230811_135031.thumb.jpg.8aa4c4c73e8dd6894fd28ae06aecd343.jpg

In position

20230811_135743.thumb.jpg.2ea8f8e5dfe5b31b2308886b0e3ef6a3.jpg

20230811_135733.thumb.jpg.dbbf1e71cf52b51f879636ac39110acb.jpg

Starter motor cog engaged

20230811_135713.thumb.jpg.00ca9601aeffe820f8d923860a31e774.jpg

some small steel bushes to machine and a brass spigot bush to make to complete clutch side of things

Regards Stephen 

Brilliant work, Stephen. Looks like a lovely finish on that flywheel. What did you decided to do for bolting the flywheel to the crank, or isn't it decided yet?

Regards, Mark

• Thanks 1

At the moment I'm going to make some small bushes that will take up the space between the tdi flywheel holes and the 1uz bolts, @jad used longer bolts, I'm thinking of using the original bolts and seeing if I can machine 2mm of the thickness of the flywheel on the clutch side to make solid flywheel the same thickness as the 1uz flex plate and associated spacers, 1uz set up is a tad over 9mm, tdi at present is 12mm, a compromise at 10mm should be plenty strong enough

Regards Stephen

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

thats it for now, grass to cut as it is a carp forcast

Sounds like ours, I've started taking the machete on the tractor with me when I mow the lawns to cut the brambles trying to decapitate me.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, Stellaghost said:

For anyone that might know this stamp is on the 1uz ECU it reads 95 1 30, could this possibly be a manufacturer date, we would write it as 30/1/95 but I don't know how the Japanese would write it

20230811_123447.thumb.jpg.0cfcaef19a778903332fac76c281364c.jpg

regards Stephen 

From the good folks at Google...

The most commonly used date format in Japan is "year month day (weekday)", with the Japanese characters meaning "year", "month" and "day" inserted after the numerals. Example: 2008年12月31日 (水) for "Wednesday 31 December 2008".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 3:38 PM, Stellaghost said:

20230811_135733.thumb.jpg.dbbf1e71cf52b51f879636ac39110acb.jpg

Starter motor cog engaged

20230811_135713.thumb.jpg.00ca9601aeffe820f8d923860a31e774.jpg

some small steel bushes to machine and a brass spigot bush to make to complete clutch side of things

Regards Stephen 

Isn't that ring gear on wrong way around? Should the tapered side of the teeth not face the starter motor?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JohnnoK said:

Isn't that ring gear on wrong way around? Should the tapered side of the teeth not face the starter motor?

Well done that man...

yes it is on the wrong way, I had noticed last night, changing over tonight

Regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

Pottering on with gearbox onto 1uz

Second hand clutch fitted first

20230813_123036.thumb.jpg.9744a98b6eb0fe1b83b06cf5609cfe25.jpg

then slid gearbox into position 

20230813_124155.thumb.jpg.51440a3da141fd0cc69be381264ee0c8.jpg

so adaptor needs to be 11/2" wide

this will give me problems as its too big to go into lathe also i dont have a cnc mill ( wouldn't be able to figure it out if i had)

So I'm thinking about making a steel mould and casting an adapter. I have a gearbox bellhousing off a D1 I can cut up and melt down this will give me the correct alloy mix

What do you think.....lot of work I know

Regards Stephen 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Pottering on with gearbox onto 1uz

Second hand clutch fitted first

20230813_123036.thumb.jpg.9744a98b6eb0fe1b83b06cf5609cfe25.jpg

then slid gearbox into position 

20230813_124155.thumb.jpg.51440a3da141fd0cc69be381264ee0c8.jpg

so adaptor needs to be 11/2" wide

this will give me problems as its too big to go into lathe also i dont have a cnc mill ( wouldn't be able to figure it out if i had)

So I'm thinking about making a steel mould and casting an adapter. I have a gearbox bellhousing off a D1 I can cut up and melt down this will give me the correct alloy mix

Regards Stephen 

Make one up in mdf, and have that waterjetted?  I mean..  when casted it still needs a lot of milling

Edited by Wytze
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Do you really need a lathe or CNC? The outside and inside can just be roughly bandsawed/..., and the hole locations can probably be done in multiple setups in the mill?

If it helps, I'm sure many people around here would be more than happy to make a drawing with offsets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Make one up in mdf, and have that waterjetted?  I mean..  when casted it still needs a lot of milling

That is a good idea..but I don't have a water jet machine...also I'm running true to form...have you not realised yet

I'm stubborn.......lol

Regards Stephen 

32 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Regards Stephen 

Similar to @Wytze why not CAD (Cardboard-Aided-Design)? Or MDF, basically rough out a shape from MDF or something similar to get the engine side of the mount - if you smear some dirt / grease over the bolt holes (or possibly just hit with a hammer) you can get the locations onto the template. Then flip it over and do the same for the gearbox - this side should be easier because you can centre punch through the bell housing holes. If you were being fancy just grab a load of bolts and turn them down on the lathe into punches - wind them into the engine face and then hold the MDF up against it and thwack it with a hammer to get the centres.

You can turn down a dowel that fits into the centre of the crank and sticks out far enough to get the location of the crank as an alignment but that's not that critical because the main shaft of the gearboxes usually have quite a bit of float in them and it's the spigot bearing that holds it in place.

If you got a slab of Ali / steel then you could rough it out with a jigsaw (I've used my M18 Jigsaw for cutting through some pretty thick aluminium and it works well - that way you're not wasting a huge amount out of the centre. I don't think the material matters too much because all you're doing is bolting the two bits together and as along as they're strong enough then it's good enough.

8 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

That is a good idea..but I don't have a water jet machine...also I'm running true to form...have you not realised yet

I'm stubborn.......lol

Regards Stephen 

Stubborn is good..    I like that😁   In MDF, you can tinker with it..  till your spot on, cast a slab, mill that flat and to thickness. And drill, hacksaw, sand , needle thread away😂

11 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Similar to @Wytze why not CAD (Cardboard-Aided-Design)? Or MDF, basically rough out a shape from MDF or something similar to get the engine side of the mount - if you smear some dirt / grease over the bolt holes (or possibly just hit with a hammer) you can get the locations onto the template. Then flip it over and do the same for the gearbox - this side should be easier because you can centre punch through the bell housing holes. If you were being fancy just grab a load of bolts and turn them down on the lathe into punches - wind them into the engine face and then hold the MDF up against it and thwack it with a hammer to get the centres.

You can turn down a dowel that fits into the centre of the crank and sticks out far enough to get the location of the crank as an alignment but that's not that critical because the main shaft of the gearboxes usually have quite a bit of float in them and it's the spigot bearing that holds it in place.

If you got a slab of Ali / steel then you could rough it out with a jigsaw (I've used my M18 Jigsaw for cutting through some pretty thick aluminium and it works well - that way you're not wasting a huge amount out of the centre. I don't think the material matters too much because all you're doing is bolting the two bits together and as along as they're strong enough then it's good enough.

Allso..    why not relocate the starter at the same time..  Like you said, weird place to mount a starter

FFS - you need to be faster at typing / computers. There's little point asking for advice if you've already accomplished the task.

You've probably got the engine in as I'm writing this - I know you won't have fired it up because you'll be procrastinating over it as that's electrics :lol:

• Haha 2

This thread updates quicker than I can eat my lunch!

Edit: I should add that it is a great read, especially as it's all out of my league and that's what makes it all the more interesting.

Edited by Peaklander
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Allso..    why not relocate the starter at the same time..  Like you said, weird place to mount a starter

No other place for it, plus it is out of the mire where it is.... And the inlet isn't that bad of a job. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

FFS - you need to be faster at typing / computers. There's little point asking for advice if you've already accomplished the task.

You've probably got the engine in as I'm writing this - I know you won't have fired it up because you'll be procrastinating over it as that's electrics :lol:

That made me laugh lots, still chuckling you crazy man...

Regards Stephen 

• Thanks 1