27 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

Set up with Rrc/disco lt77

1.003:1 lt230

7.08 diffs (3.54x2)

36.5 tyre

if you ran 40s then it would drop rpm by around 500. What engine are you running as the gearing will greatly depend on that

1871D31D-3062-4020-8211-9B3391DC95EB.thumb.jpeg.e975936e7b733c39d19e98334bca9a1f.jpeg

Running a bog standard 200tdi at the moment, have a full length intercooler for it but not fitted yet regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

7 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Can you explore that for me please regards Stephen

Will see him this afternoon so will ask. If we can find one (that's a big if in his yard*) then I'll chuck it in the back of the Range Rover so I can palletise it or drop it off next time I'm passing.

* when I snapped the first crank in my 300Tdi he had a spare engine, knew it was in the North East corner of his yard. The pair of us spent 15 minutes lifting tarps on engines before we found it. Came across everything from 25cc petrol engines through a whole pile of 6.2/6.5 GM V8s up to and in excess of 24l engines.

It looks like the Ashcroft 0.9 gear set is just for the Cummins ZF box ?

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/0-900-gear-set.html

It’s also £500 more than their 1.003 gear set.

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/lt230-ratio-changes/1-003-gear-set.html

I rather like Doug’s suggestion - 1.003:1 lt230 with an overdrive - if you put a Roamerdrive on there you could split all  the gears. 

Plus with Mog axles it would be fun to have loads of levers 🙂 

The 0.9 I'm talking about is for standard LR transmissions. It was custom made for Bob way way way before the Cummins crowd came along. Fairly sure its 0.9 rather than taller but I do know it's the largest gear that can fit in the casing (can't remember if the casing is slightly modified in this instance as well).

18 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Alternatively @FridgeFreezer I think used gear to make his own flexis, forget the name of the system?

I used Think Automotive's own-brand TFE hoses and ends, very similar to Moquip but a fair bit cheaper - although the ends still add up, and if you want stainless ends it's always £££.

Also you need to make sure you buy ones with swivels on where needed otherwise you end up with a hose you can't actually do up :lol:

Id stick with the LT77 and a 1.2 transfer box from a RR/disco to start with, make sure the handling and braking ect is ok before you need to cruise at 60-70mph.

Changing a transfer box is a peice of tiddle compared to everything else you have done and unless I've missed to post where you plan on touring Europe I can't see its going to make that much difference, NVH isn't exactly brilliant in a diesel lightweight with 37" tyres to begin with.

2 hours ago, muddy said:

Id stick with the LT77 and a 1.2 transfer box from a RR/disco to start with, make sure the handling and braking ect is ok before you need to cruise at 60-70mph.

Definitely not a cruiser and no European visits, it remains a firmly a toy and needs must for winter travel regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Just now, Bowie69 said:

Did David sort you out, anyway?

not yet but he gave me some food for thought, we had a good chat, discussed how short he can make hoses, think twin front calipers no sale as yet, but he will definitely be getting a future sale once I've figured out the hose combination that suits me best, thanks very much for the recommendation

on another note what are the rough country shocks like he sells regards Stephen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stellaghost said:

what are the rough country shocks like

Cheap, in my experience, they just cost a bit more because he imports them from the US.

With the weight of your axles, even trimmed, I would be looking at something more substantial.

• Like 1

I think it is really a matter of getting what you pay for, avoid anything sub-£80 a shock (this means they probably cost £20 to make, which can never be good), but OME, Koni, Bilstein, Monroe, Fox all have good offerings.

Personally I see little point in twin shocks, twice as complex and can create packaging issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

on another note what are the rough country shocks like he sells regards Stephen

When i looked around for a long travel shock for mine, i found them to. and review's on them to..  Most people didn't like them