19 minutes ago, Wytze said:

What are rock rings?  And would that suit Sid? 

Rock rings weld / bolt onto rim similar to bead locks, used to protect wheels / valve from rock damage

Not for Sid his wheels will already survive an avalanche......lol

Regards Stephen

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

A question for you learned gentlemen

Are D1 A frame arms the same shape and size as RRC ones, only asking as I have a set of D1 arms that I can use as a template to make new rear A frame  arms that are slightly longer than standard RRC ones to fit to my chassis and mog axle regards Stephen 

25 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Exhaust wrap round the outside would help keep some heat in. Going to put any more firebrick in the inside? 

No, just going to put 1200 degree heat blanket inside and see how I get on regards Stephen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

How much gas do those things take to run? Just curious as to a cost per hour sort of thing (assuming you have to get your gas the normal way).

No idea but will try and put some numbers too it in due course

Also it depends what your trying to heat up, a knife blade probably not much but I'm trying to heat up 40mm square bar so I guess that will take a tad longer regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

Well tried  a bit of forging this morning  worked out OK with a couple of alterations 

First off a length of 11/4" square bar

20220401_090812.thumb.jpg.28abd1ec3c354157069f6c6826af8de4.jpg

heating up fine but not getting as hot as I would like so added some additional fire brick slices to direct heat

20220401_093856.thumb.jpg.32946315547b86ba351ac9ce8d6f9177.jpg

then I also added a constant flow of compressed air into the gas flame, that got things going

20220401_100455.thumb.jpg.24e7774e60e3c93175af6359d62dbc63.jpg

20220401_101254.thumb.jpg.66e0aff25d583ba9fb8deca7452aa12c.jpg

starting to get some shape

20220401_101144.thumb.jpg.ae2bd09c6e7a5aa438cfb5bd3dae51a4.jpg

lots more heat several times 

20220401_100724.thumb.jpg.675310e6426cc37a996ea2a5c5c4cf33.jpg

one end forged need it to cool now will do the other end tomorrow 

20220401_102715.thumb.jpg.2cd8264a0da8c2ba5ae6dc1b3abc7158.jpg

20220401_102727.thumb.jpg.b47ec804d471e38b79b46e83325d504b.jpg

obviously needs cleaning up and bending to shape but I will do that after both ends shaped as its easier to hold when straight regards Stephen 

• Like 3

What is wrong the with cast iron ones...?

Someone sold an extended a frame to stretch wheelbase out to 100", forget who  but it really wasn't as heavy duty as you are suggesting,  perhaps 1.75" and 4mm wall.

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

What is wrong the with cast iron ones...?

Someone sold an extended a frame to stretch wheelbase out to 100", forget who  but it really wasn't as heavy duty as you are suggesting,  perhaps 1.75" and 4mm wall.

Cast steel ones are too short so I need to make longer ones

I agree with you, I probably don't need as heavy duty but this is new territory for me and over kill is better than under kill

The cast steel arms are quite substantial and reassuringly heavy but I'm introducing portal axles and a heavy wheel and tyre combination into the mix and they more than double the weight of the existing set up

I'm more than willing to take advice on this but I'd rather make once and be confident than have to keep going back to the drawing board and remanufacture new parts

Also forumers do advise that forces are dramatically increased with a portal set up 

I do have some 5mm wall pipe, but what to do for the best?

I genuinely wish I was closer to some of you guys or vice versa for on project discussions, this would probably help me not to blunder on in the wrong directions at times

I do value input from knowledgeable individuals such as yourself so please don't stop

Regards Stephen 

• Like 2

There’s plenty of portal cars with the standard a frame. The only failures I’ve heard of was a blue 90 snapping the a frame ball joint at the tay forest challenge and someone ripping the chassis mounts off, so neither we’re failure of the a frame it’s self. There are plenty of other cars that have the same set up that are used far more violently with no issue. 

devon4x4 usedto make a billet a-frame extension to extend the fulcrum, PPcages make an extended tubular aframe that gigglepin use to great effect and Adrenalin4x4 make an extended tubular one with a rose joint at the end. So those are off the shelf alternatives but in all honesty I think you’ll be ok with the standard a frame. 

i forget where I got it from now but on mine I have a cast fulcrum replacement that allows me to use a creeper joint(3”Jonny joint) where I get a bit more movement than the normal ball joint before it binds and the axle is allowed a small amount of cushioning  through the bush, it’s also now a double sheer setup throughout

food for thought HTH

out of curiosity, why extend it? Are you not keeping the 88” wheel base?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2