Overland caravan build

Yeah I bought the trailer in haste but hind sight is saying it's not quite right. Rather than plump for near enough I'd prefer to change it for one that's a better fit. Annoyingly there's a chassis on faceache that looks perfect but it's completely bare so that's about a grand in bits which isn't viable and it's up north too.

Mike

We have been looking at both horse and livestock trailers, however they tend to be a bit short and some are narrow. They also hold there value even a ropey one is £1k or really old.

Our box will be about 14ft long but the flat base is only 12ft. As I discovered with our current trailer if you put the wheels central on the flat base part it ends up looking very tail heavy.  I'm thinking if I go for a 14/15ft caravan chassis they are normally around 1500-1800kg gross and the chassis often doesn't go all the way to the back or they are reconfigurable by moving bolts

Mike

44 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Is it just me or has that been bobtailed? :huh:

No, but as Ross says the axles are further back however this one has been extended at the front which makes it look even worse. The extension, ramps and side bars will be coming off. It is a little wider than I wanted but that will help with stability.

Mike

• Like 1

I was hoping to go lr wheels but the axle spacing is to close for all but the most obscure size 15" tyre. However these will work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165760981595?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rm76U2JcRwK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=rj9sNdGlTqa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just shy of 24" which will bring the overall height down nicely but hopefully won't reduce ground clearance to much. The down side is the current wheels are 12", anyone want to swap for some 13's :ph34r:.

Mike

Re-positioning could work but impacts the wheel arch length which causes issues around door placement. I would still have to buy some lr wheels and tyres so I may as well just buy trailer wheels and tyre (which have the bonus of being rated for the job). Ground clearance is less of an issue versus how it looks, it'll be very robust compared to a normal caravan so touch down is only a stuck issue rather than distruction.

Mike

• Like 1

It is a plant trailer so they are fairly flat underneath and the ground clearance is as good as the car trailer was, so upping the tyres will only help. As I've said before realistically a gravel or rutted field is the worst it's likely to see. I'm not renowned for towing slowly so the stability gained due to reduced height is worth the sacrifice. Besides if it's a problem or I don't like it I can change it later relatively easily.

Mike

2 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Put some twist locks in the corner and some jacking legs then you still have a usable trailer :ph34r:

I am considering this or something similar the most tricky part would be the extra width required on the front legs to clear the wheels. The box will need legs of some sort anyway to stablize it when in hitched so some that go higher is no biggy.

Mike

15 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I am considering this or something similar the most tricky part would be the extra width required on the front legs to clear the wheels. The box will need legs of some sort anyway to stablize it when in hitched so some that go higher is no biggy.

Mike

just make the legs removable , and store at home .