Overland caravan build

If we're posting pictures of non-aerodynamic loads, this is how it looks with my trailer behind. Overall dimensions I think not far from what you're going to build, although I've never measured the height (:blush:). Just went out to have a measure, and it's right at 2.2m tall.

20200827_172454.thumb.jpg.97f31021681c56217872e45a13d661ea.jpg

It's a bit like towing a drag racing parachute. I remember being fully loaded (~2000kg) + the car stuffed with things, going down the hills on the A1 in Germany around Wuppertal (not small hills), and having to press the throttle going downhill to maintain 90 km/h... Fuel consumption was somewhere in the "don't even ask" range.

A bit of aero work will help immensely, especially if you want to add another 60cm on top of that!

Don't you have a pic of your Merc coupe with that trailer as well? 😄

I can certainly confirm it's a parachute, I remember one of the first times I borrowed it I pulled over because I thought I had left the hand brake on as it was surprisingly hard to build speed even when empty. But a very useful parachute!

I'm going to get it mounted (when I find a suitable trailer) sort the rear extension and see what it's like. If I don't like it/it tows like a parachute I can alway chop the front edge and bevel it off. I've towed enough box trailers and caravans to know what it's like. To be fair often when I'll be towing this I'll have a Canadian canoe on the roof of the truck. If that doesn't work as a wind deflector nothing will.

Mike

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Escape said:

Don't you have a pic of your Merc coupe with that trailer as well? 😄

I must have, but can only find this one; which looks even sillier.

IMG-20211113-WA0000.thumb.jpg.6b5d5eea642d9a4c67107291ad9d1a5f.jpg

7 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

To be fair often when I'll be towing this I'll have a Canadian canoe on the roof of the truck

That might help. Plus the Ibex is probably a bit higher than a P38?

I don't doubt your abilities to fix it, but if you're going to be doing long distance with this thing you'll want to take it into account as soon as possible. You'll get any cost back in fuel savings very quickly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daan said:

I would cut the wheel arches and drop it as low as possible; not just for aero reasons, but also stability plus how often do you see a caravan blown over due to side winds?

I will more than likely cut the wheel arches to lower it as much as possible, it's quite likely I'll need room for two axles anyway. I just ordered some materials to make a fibreglass lower rear panel, shower tray and wheel arches. So it moving forwards. I'll get it to complete external box and fitted to a trailer as soon as possible. The interior might be a bit longer.

Mike

• Like 3

On 1/30/2023 at 6:20 PM, Bowie69 said:

I'd be really surprised if you couldn't manage to get something very workable and nice for under 1200Kg tbh.

Just got to lay off the marble worktops and ceramic tile wet room.

That would be impressive - there aren't many four berth caravans under 1400kg, and everything is fairly flimsy to achieve that. Our Bailey Ranger is a whisker under 1300kg gross, and not much of that is available payload (it's very easy to overload it). It definitely wouldn't survive anything that remotely qualifies as "off road". Even driving across camp sites shakes it about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoffbeaumont said:

That would be impressive - there aren't many four berth caravans under 1400kg, and everything is fairly flimsy to achieve that. Our Bailey Ranger is a whisker under 1300kg gross, and not much of that is available payload (it's very easy to overload it). It definitely wouldn't survive anything that remotely qualifies as "off road". Even driving across camp sites shakes it about.

This is exactly my experience with caravans.

Ours will have a king size bed, bunks for the girls a toilet/shower and so clothes storage inside. Due to the exceptionaly antisocial nature of caravans there will be an awning on the side and the kitchen will be a pull out on the outside too. My aim is 1500kg but if it's under 2000kg fully laden I'm happy. We plan to carry a wood burner to use in the awning and either blown air heating or a hot water based heating system, I want to use a webasto type water heater with a clorifier (hot water tank) to give hot water. We definitely want some solar but don't plan to make it electric heavy.

Mike

• Like 4

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

We have a trailer. It's a bit rough and ready but it was cheap.

IMG_20230212_112708.thumb.jpg.5b8c988d182ffea05bdc32e4f8560c16.jpg

We need to strip the deck and ramps off, give it a clean and coat of paint. Then we can get the box on it.

Mike

That looks sturdy to..  The box will not flex to bit's on that

Yes it is nice and sturdy that was the appeal. They're knott axles seem to work fine the guy used to carry a Jimny on it. It towed beautifully on the way home, and the brakes worked well. It's on 14" rims which I can get some 26" AT or MT tyres for, so will fit with the style. The beauty with our design is if it doesn't work I can just switch the trailer out.

Mike

• Like 3

The interior has gone through some design changes recently due to switching from single to double axle and the position of wheel arch in relation to door. Unfortunately in the end it will be "looking" a little rear heavy but this will mean the majority of the weight will be at the front. As the bunks and toilet will be at the back. The kitchen, largest storage and heavy items will be up front.

Mike

• Like 4

After much deliberation I'm going to move the trailer on and look for another. We had to change the interior to make this one work and it ended up looking tail heavy. Much as I want to get on with the build I also want it right and this was niggling me. For various reasons mainly cost I may revisit the caravan chassis.

Mike

• Like 2