it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

the answer to both questions is..

A lot! but less than a camper and covered trailer.

16mpg roughly depending on type of road, so not too bad cost wise.. (until you factor in it cost me 270l of diesel going to brands hatch and back!)

total cost.. well it cant be much south of £7k.

• Like 1

still it has its uses...

aWdB1pr.jpg

0PFDxAq.jpg

mines the silver car.

had a track day at the beginning of the month, a friends mx5 got crashed. the rac where being arses so i lent him mine. 

today at Michael wood services a friend that's going to rebuild it picked it up and delivered mine back to me. saved a trip to manchester.

all good fun :D

Edited by qwakers
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, qwakers said:

16mpg roughly depending on type of road, so not too bad cost wise.. (until you factor in it cost me 270l of diesel going to brands hatch and back!)

total cost.. well it cant be much south of £7k.

By comparison we bought our 127 for 4400, probably spent ~2k on the conversion and various tarting up (we weren't counting TBH), it does a fairly good 16-18mpg average (probably 18-20 if we sat with the trucks) and we've got about 1/6th the space of your truck, maybe less. If I had somewhere to park it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Fridge has a worrying obsession with 7.5t lorry campers at the moment.:ph34r: It's just as well he doesn't have somewhere to park one.:stirthepot:

I've got too many vehicles already, including a perfectly good camper... my point was more that the truck version makes a hell of a lot more practical sense than most 4WD overland builds that never get further than a grassy touring pitch or gravel track.

Please do not mention DAF45....

I still miss ours we had in Holland for the horses.. Ideal !

we could not get it on FR plates so eventually sold it and had a trailer for years.

Now the Iveco and it is soo much better.

Love to have a 7,5 tonne camper.

Esp. 4x4......

5 hours ago, qwakers said:

if you can find one. id like the transfer box and front axle out of one, but they appear to be hens teeth :D

And that's why I think 4x4 trucks/vans are a poor idea for a camper/overlander - the basic truck is all common as muck but the 4WD bits are unicorn, and I've rarely seen one further off-road than most 2WD versions because big heavy tall things like to tip over or sink.

My current modest-lottery-win camper concept is an 8x4 hook-loader with Hiab - all common parts, low ground pressure, 4WD with lockers as standard, camping pod you can drop off the back, Hiab because why not.

For the full euro-millions win it'd be an 8x8 Tatra and sod the practicality :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leyland-DAF-GS-45-150-4x4-Dropside-/264952275121?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

this firm has loads of em. Seen em as cheap as four grand. Would love one myself 

Love those T244s :DCrouch's usually have a good stock of them too. Suprisingly cheap. Just need the license :(