it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

i was planning on finishing the fab work and painting the unpainted parts today, until at about 1pm i got a call from my parents, who had gone to a farm machinery auction and bought a quad and trailer (drove there in the merc slk) and then wondered how they where going to get home. so most of the afternoon i spent driving up and towing it home for them...

did get the light pods done though..

rTfFVSa.jpg
HVVjaqc.jpg
KRUbFV6.jpg

looks much better than just bolting the lights to the panel...

yesterday my ipad battery went flat hence no post.

i finished all the fab work. and painted the new panels

1BXdM5v.jpg
Bb497mX.jpg
TGCtCzK.jpg
WE2N1Jc.jpg
PWY5nH0.jpg
bTdOnn6.jpg
IlWIM9D.jpg
xnO76zo.jpg

i made up infill panels to finish off the sides where they meet the new rear panel which took most of the day.

i was then painting into the late evening.

today there was more painting and i finished off the wireing loom to the rear.

i also put the ramps together and back in, only to find i must have welded the hinge a few mm out. 
xzrwk5C.jpg
so i need to cut that apart and do it again..

i spent most of the morning doing a tip run...
aqLS2Y1.jpg

only got £15  :evil:  think i need to find another company.. only getting £50/ton for aluminium. the same as steel. robbing barstewards.

Edited by qwakers

its FINISHED! well, mostly 🐵

rear marker lights added, now i can actually see where the ass of the lorry ends (how are these not a legal requirement?)
hOkutpk.jpg
TN4pQUl.jpg
9nhqtci.jpg

generator wiring added
PXYWy5b.jpg

tiedown points added bolted straight through to the crossmembers...
zKsEtf8.jpg
nGEoJbi.jpg
nNVGn0e.jpg

all wiring checked and ok, everything works as it should, took it for a quick run (first time since i did the brakes) everything seems ok, next step, mot on the 2nd oct 😎

suppose i better pay some attention to the rx8 now 😎

• Like 2

haha im not that nuts! have being considering getting it mapped though.

my new issue was similar to my old issue.

i miscalculated when i did the beavertail and ended up cutting too much out, so the angle (of about 5*!) is still too much for the near zero groundclearence my racecar has.

this wasn't particularly surprising, and it was always on the cars that this could happen. 

i got the tape measure out and discovered all my work making the folding sections of the ramp where pointless. there is near zero rampover angle without them, so they have been retired.

they have instead been repurposed and now look like this

U5lkoyG.jpg
Kvyt7UH.jpg
ZO5u8jG.jpg
RfrJmRa.jpg
aByNply.jpg

to be honest i always expected to have to do this. the professionals always have the ramp heading uphill to just behind the cab. whilst this was a option, it would have meant 20x the work, and this works fine.

these are a 30second removal deal, so when (if) theyre in the way they can easily be pulled out.

NOW its finished!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

mot time :D

G101wsPl.jpg

had to have the tacho calibrated this year too. which means i get to stick my lorry on a dyno :D
twKwCBql.jpg

all passed no real issues. 
EsdMY56l.jpg

the emissions, i think i have a boost leak, haven't had a chance to look at that. plus, if i 'deface' the plating cert it defaults to 2.5m2 from 0.56....

the kingpin play goes away if i grease it.

the sideguard i just undid the bolt. would have been very annoying to fail the mot for that! especially as it was there last year and he didnt say a word....

Edited by qwakers
  • Like 1