2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Near the heater unit, on top of the head, similar to a 200Tdi.  I must have got mixed up, because now I think harder, I used SIII pipes on my 12J to the thermostat housing, and the sender unit on the top of the head near the heater.  It was between the second and third head bolt from the back, so roughly between the intake ports for 3 and 4.

I don’t know if the petrol head has that, but it’d be a good spot if it does.  With your sender in the thermostat housing and if you do have that spot on the top of the head, you’re set.  If not, it might be worth using the 90/110 thermostat housing top piece and have one of the sender ports tapped.

All I've got is the heater return.

IMG_20200613_144508.thumb.jpg.1c028fffe1a20a9744579d89b8492699.jpg

I've never understood how the heater actually works: I'd have assumed the two ports on the head would be at the same pressure, and thus no flow! But the heater works well, when well maintained.

Or, is this the outlet to the heater?

49 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Useful. I might ask Nige to suggest sensors, and start the discussion about the correct ms unit for this application.

Getting a sensor that uses a thread that's cheap to tap would be good.

MS1 can use any sensor too - it just needs a little bit of jiggery with a program (thermfactor) to insert the correct data into the firmware and re-flash the ECU but it's not hard. MS2 you can just set it like any other setting I believe.

From memory the AT1010 is a metric thread, something like M14 so not super-common. ISTR I bought a few nuts on eBay and welded one on as a boss.

3 hours ago, Gazzar said:

All I've got is the heater return.

IMG_20200613_144508.thumb.jpg.1c028fffe1a20a9744579d89b8492699.jpg

I've never understood how the heater actually works: I'd have assumed the two ports on the head would be at the same pressure, and thus no flow! But the heater works well, when well maintained.

Or, is this the outlet to the heater?

If you use the SIII thermostat housing, which I’m confident is a straight swap for the one on here, so you have two unions at the front, then you can use this position for the sensor.  The heater will function as normal in a SIII.  Alternatively, you can use that port for the heater return line and the remove the unused port in the thermostat housing for the sensor.  Whatever works best for you.

Exactly. Options. I'll try get the standard lightweight plumbing in, easier order parts in the future, so this 17H lower thermostat housing is a great idea. I think gauge in the housing, and ms CTS in the head should work.

• Like 1

I'm sure you've spotted this, in case you've not:

A 17H with air/con takes its sender off the casting you've bought.

I take your point on the budget, I'm the same. Whatever this 'grumpy' spends on a project, it's still a fraction of what Mr. Average shells out in HP payments for something shiny yet temporary, hence shedding £15-20K in five years. And deemed scrap in under ten? After which the whole process goes into  'rinse and repeat' - it must impress 'somebody'? i suspect you're the same - if you see it, you own it.

If you can't walk into a dealership and  write the full cheque, there ... then, somebody is saying you can't afford it.

I'm gratified  to know those in the finance world are kept in swimming-pools...

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 1

Agreed. The other thing that winds me up is trading a car in to get a more economical one.  Spending £10k to save £500 a year. Then trading in again in a couple of years time!

Bugger it. Buy a V8 and run it forever. Still cheaper, and easier on the environment.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Agreed. The other thing that winds me up is trading a car in to get a more economical one.  Spending £10k to save £500 a year. Then trading in again in a couple of years time!

Bugger it. Buy a V8 and run it forever. Still cheaper, and easier on the environment.

And people called me crazy for putting the 4.6 in the ambulance - if we'd gone 200TDi we'd still be chugging along half-way up an alp right now, wearing ear defenders :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

That’s exactly my way of thinking and the motivation to build my V8 auto. Once that’s done the TD5 is going 👍

As I wasn't entirety in great form this morning, I just did some pottering.

First, on the topic of sensors, I cleaned up the thread for the coolant temperature sensor.

It's currently an 18 thread, so Imperial of some form.

It looks bad enough, but once I'd put the poor man's tap through it, it's     okay      , ish.

IMG_20200614_124255.jpg

IMG_20200614_124308.jpg

IMG_20200614_130422.jpg

IMG_20200614_125910.jpg

IMG_20200614_130104.jpg

IMG_20200614_130627.jpg

On the subject of sensors, each one of the four I have in stock gives a different value. 

One is by Smith's instruments, if that makes any difference.

I suppose I'll swap them around until I get one that gives me a nice reading!

I then played with the manifold.

I fitted the bigserts into the exhaust coupling holes, and made the adapter.

However.....

I think I've drilled the  main hole in the adapter for the intake too big. I thought the diameter below the throttle plate would be the size as above when I ordered the hole saw. 

It's not, it's smaller.

I don't know if it matters.

IMG_20200614_131549.jpg

IMG_20200614_132103.jpg

IMG_20200614_132231.jpg

IMG_20200614_134914.jpg

IMG_20200614_134951.jpg

IMG_20200614_135100.jpg

The adapter took a fair bit of time. I played with the router, but that was scary, so I used the belt sander to do the final shaping.

IMG_20200614_151349.jpg

IMG_20200614_161924.jpg

IMG_20200614_162252.jpg

IMG_20200614_165120.jpg

IMG_20200614_162508.jpg

IMG_20200614_171719.jpg

Oh, and I dropped some acid in the block.

IMG_20200614_173602.thumb.jpg.33e79357f02b869cb4cb97fb8da9182b.jpg

I'll leave for a couple of days, then repeat. Then do the core plugs, and repeat up to the water pump level.

I did think of doing that. I did. That's a very good idea, but....

I'd worry about cutting through into the anti icing chamber. There's a chamber for the exhaust gases in at the top of the manifold.

It's probably okay, as the hole for the original studs are between the chamber and the aperture.

Right. I'll do that. It will be fine.

Thank you.

I'll use the insulator to change apertures, hole saw to the size of the throttle, and then file or out to the adapter size.

I've no idea how to connect this to the standard nylon fuel pipe, but I'm sure that can be done.

I presume the three pipe fittings are:

1) in - from lift pump

2) return - from injector

3) out - back to tank.

?

It's a box with three holes in it and you've got 3 things to connect to it, you can't really get it wrong :lol:

I put an inline filter on the return to create a small amount of back-pressure and show you that fuel is flowing.

13 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It's a box with three holes in it and you've got 3 things to connect to it, you can't really get it wrong :lol:

I put an inline filter on the return to create a small amount of back-pressure and show you that fuel is flowing.

You don't know me. I can break most things.......... trying out ideas.

That's an excellent idea, it would stop fuel just sloping down the pipe.

I presume genuine Bosch is the only way on this, or are there other Bosch shaped pumps that will stick decades of neglect and strange petrol?

More pottering, I'm waiting for the block cleaner to work.

Manifold had been matched to the adapter. And my die grinder died. 

IMG_20200615_204313.thumb.jpg.89fd7db02d6a3d82e7916eeef9b38de0.jpg

IMG_20200615_204330.thumb.jpg.1d8b2e06b0f3719249f26a81c9e9abff.jpg

IMG_20200615_204409.thumb.jpg.70f2924b0492ccdc9dd402e5a7eabe1b.jpg

How smooth does this have to be? Does the rough surface encourage atomisation? By any chance ?

I'll order a smaller hole saw and a die grinder set. If I start the hole in the insulator with the big hole saw on one side and the small one on the other side then I can use the grinder to blend the two together.