Mounting things to the roll cage (EG extinguisher, jack, spare wheel)

In an attempt to better organise the back of the 109 I think I want to mount a few bits to the cage - but I'm not clear on the nicest way to do it.

I've seen all sorts used for all sorts - exhaust clamps, the clamp-on hi-lift mounts, fabricated mounts etc. but I'm not really seeing any that I think are really neat and nicely executed... so, post up any nicely done things-mounted-to-cages you've seen or done :D

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Inside or outside? 

Both really... most of the junk I want to mount is inside but I will want some external lights at some point.

Basically anything that mounts something to a roll cage without looking rough-ar5e or wanting to work loose etc. would be a welcome start!

If it's something that you want fixed permanently in the same position, then no bolt on solution is ever going to match welding on a nicely fabricated purpose made bracket (a la binky), but if it's a removable something then I'd be looking at truss clamps. Normally used for holding lights to some scaffold over a stage, they come in a good range of roll-cage sizes, have a good load rating, are easily removed, and don't look horrendous. I used them for my quick on-off roof bars.

DSC_0622.thumb.JPG.6c9145314cbba1847d8852114d993f01.JPGDSC_0624.thumb.JPG.eeaad67d6fc0d50a1f57ab7fbcb303b6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to fix stuff for long term storage (like your fire extinguisher), I'd just bite the bullet and weld some tabs on. Even if you change your mind, it is just a few moment with a grinder, a welder, and a dab of paint to rectify.

The old 'quick-fist' clamps are pretty good value if you can't stretch to 'nice' stuff financially:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Quick-Fist-Original-Clamps-Rubber-Cargo-4x4-Shovel-Axe-Hi-Lift-Holder/173710969783?epid=19027462583&hash=item2871fb0bb7:g:T5YAAOSwUHBcJUoP

For light stuff I made up my own from whatever I could find. For stuff I wanted a little better mounted I bought the pressed metal 2 halves with the bolt either side from the roll cage manufacturer and welded what I wanted onto those then clamped them on.

LRS offroad used to do some like this which I often admired as they looked pretty when I went in but never bought any. You can get plastic ones with a range of rubber inserts to give you different tube sizes for mounting light bars etc. 

2 things always put me off welding to the roll cage, one was it was powder coated so I didn't want to take that off, the other was if I stick a line of weld half way down a long straight tube am I weakening it should it ever have to fulfil it's function?

image.jpeg.3ebc3f5bf03d47c05840f307be7e4c39.jpeg

Edited by Cynic-al

47 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

LRS offroad used to do some like this which I often admired as they looked pretty when I went in but never bought any. You can get plastic ones with a range of rubber inserts to give you different tube sizes for mounting light bars etc. 

PP cages sell the clamps like that. They're great for tube-to-tube clamping.

Like Dave said, truss or pipe clamps are a available in a multitude of sizes and weight loadings.

CPC have a selection, link below

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/audio-visual/professional-sound-lighting/scenery-staging/trussing-accessories

If you want the best then you want Doughty, link below

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/138/129/index.htm

I have a few 30mm wide ones at work for 50mm tubing I can do without for a couple of weeks if you want me to send you a couple in the post to have a look at, they are only light and will fit in a jiffy back so won't cost a fortune to post. Or if you or anyone you know is in the Stansted Airport area in the near future your welcome to come and pick them up.

Cheers

Simon

22 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

image.jpeg.3ebc3f5bf03d47c05840f307be7e4c39.jpeg

Sorry but I really dislike those, they look like they're only working in one direction, and there's gaps/edges to catch yourself on. I know everyone likes sexy laser-cut shapes but I'm not digging those from a structural point of view.

@Simon119 thanks for the offer, I'll see what's around and order some if I decide to go that way.

I've done versions of this in the past, I got them waterjet cut from 20mm alloy plate offcuts then just drilled and tapped them 

rAbdgEA.jpg

Sorry no pics its something I did ages ago for a client who didn't want to post them up on the net so no pics, for reference 10mm thick and 20mm wide, M6 stainless cap screws for the clamps with an M10 mounting hole and I left the sides as the waterjet did them 

From memory I cut the inside 0.4mm smaller than the pipe dia (with paint) we used one of those little flap drums on the die grinder to smooth out the pipe mating surface.... when they were clamped they didn't move (I used them to climb up on lol) they were used to mount a high lift jack, spade and an axe to the back of his frame 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PaulN said:

.....or @Deranged could knock out a few sets for all of us!  Group buy!  😉

Lol not a problem till you look at my location, I'm on the other side of the world.... If anyone wants the design no problem, I'll even resize it for your tube if you can give me the dimensions 

For those that want to make em, if you don't have a mill you'll need to get a counter bore bit to recess the clamp bolt holes for the cap screws.... these counter bore bits arn't cheap, I have one for doing M10 caps and it cost me $300 odd to set it up, but it does have a replaceable cutter and guide 

27 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

You clearly need the bigger model ;)

Yeah a bigger mill is on the Christmas list but it's not happening any year soon :(

TBH I'd probably get them lasered out or just CNC'd by a nearby adult, but you'd need a group buy to be worth it. I might modify De Ranged's design to have more of a D shape with two screw holes sharing the clamping & mounting duty.

Something like this:

cage_clamp1.png.5e082c7ce2dc3a20821bd321ff2e7864.png

cage_clamp2.png.97c4e89a418c81b4479447f1ed646879.png

I think hydraulic clamps are designed to flex a bit so as not to damage the tubes, the SWA clamps I'm not super convinced about their strength (even the alloy ones are not super solid looking) as they're designed to hold a bit of cable to  a wall rather than stop a 5kg lump of metal bouncing around in a car, they just look like there's a lot of material taken out / very thin walls.