As you are very knowledgeable...... (something different)

Arjan

Although France in Lockdown etc. - Life goes on..

With a dead ArgoCat, the Mrs. is wondering what to do as we have ground to cover with manure, hay, poles, etc. to keep the horses and her happy.

Scherppach gemotoriseerde kiep/kruiwagen dp3000

Several people suggested getting one of those motorized wheelbarrows.

The ones I know in the railway industry are usu. tracked, heavy, cumbersome and not fast... 

As this is a very good community, can I have your experiences and suggestions please ?

Thanks

I've a muck truck. An early one.

It's good. Fast enough. A reasonable walk pace.

Honda engine. Can be a bit awkward on real slopes, and the ball hitch arrangement isn't good for big trailers, but the paving slab thing is great.

I've used it a hell of a lot. The belt slips a bit. But can be adjusted.

As you've got the space what about a small dumper truck instead - probably more versatile? You know you'll always want bigger...

They do small walk behind ones as well but have you considered a high-tip variant as well?

1.0 Ton Hi-Tip Dumper • Plant, Tool, Access and Self-Drive Vehicle ...

yes......

However, those are not easy to find here in France and I hope one of our respected members here had a "budget" solution... ☺️

The muctruck 4x4 version is quite good, I don't think I ever got stuck with it when using as a barrow, even in clay mud. It didn't cope with the trailer in mud.

Ideally, she'd love to have something like this as you guys are quite sure tracks are much better..

afbeelding.png.725f751dde78554829a648251778b15e.png

Walk behind is no problem.

Needs to be in working order so she can use it.

My recollection of the Argocat does not permit me to see one being used as a powered wheel barrow!

I saw that Sheppach thing you pictured advertised on Aldi the other day. I'd say it is somewhat bigger than I think the tracked one above appears to be.  How much muck do you need to shift per day?

There must be some old things like this knocking around in France???

Only downside with the dumpers is once you load them up they're damn heavy so if you're going out across fields I'd look for one with decent wide tyres on it, and perhaps keep the tonnage down to refrain from overloading it.

The 6 tonne machine that was brought up for my garage excavations obviously could take 6 tonnes in the bucket but the machine weight another 3 tonnes on top of that and the tarmac didn't survive very well despite having a 13 tonne digger across it (which would have exerted far less ground pressure).

@mickeyw he said he wanted a budget version - he has the Argocat... :ph34r:, just missing an engine. Although given it's got a CVT transmission if you've got access to a lathe then pretty much any engine would work in one.

Engine for the ArgoCat has been found - in the UK ☺️ - so just waiting for things to make it possible to collect it.

I do not have access to a lathe or the likes.. Machineshops here are not like UK's...

Not he wrong country - and budget wise most welcome - but logistics are at the moment (see engine) are the thing..

Tracked wheel borrow is I think the way to go...

• Like 1

Just an observation. I know that in the UK, private non-essential trips are severely frowned upon, but in the standard (perverse?) English way ,commercial trips, perhaps fulfilling the same aim, are OK as they keep the economy working, and people in employment.

I appreciate it goes against your personal approach to pay a carrier to do something you can do, and have all the equipment to do (towing vehicle, trailer, etc), but in this case employing a carrier might be the way out of the dilemma of being totally unable to do 'anything'.

Really, when the NHS are issuing 12 week 'Shielding' guidelines (April, May, June) that, if observed, mean no movement outside your own acres, then you can do nothing yourself for another month or two, at least. This justifies spending money to get things moving.

Regards.

Obviously we have considered getting stuff shipped here.

However, a Ninety roof is something that is not ideal for carriers to handle and that is reflected in the cost of shipping.

Another thing to consider is transit time as no carrier at the moment will state a firm - as in written and guaranteed - quote etc.

So we'll wait....

Perhaps a tracked wheel barrow will come by for the right price and can I pick it up at the same time....

The load area isn't huge on those track barrows and you'll probably get 1 bail of hay/straw in it.  It's a lot of hassle to carry one bail about.

You can grab a 4 wheeled garden cart which will be cheaper and carry upto 3 bails and is pretty easy to pull about on 4 wheels if you have a yard and you're not poo picking a wet muddy field ;)

If it must be motorised, i have seen those with a small honda engine as well as battery powered ones.

Before we got our tractor we used an old MT ride on mower with a 13hp engine and no cutting deck.  It would pull 3 dumpy bags of hay on an old trailer tent trailer base up a hill!  It was beast until it rusted away.   They are cheap as chips to come by as people get rid of them when the cutting decks rot out.

• Like 1