Mobile phone holder in a series

Gazzar

Are those cigarette socket mobile phone holders any good? I'm looking for a non-invasive way of holding a phone in a series 3, so I can see the screen as a satnav.

I've a 12v socket in the auxiliary panel, and was thinking one of those goose neck holders would do, if they were up to the job.

IMG_20200425_132323.jpg

I think you are both steering me in the right direction, something attached to the dash.  

I'll sit in the drivers seat and have a think...

Thank you.

When you sit in .... see if you can take a pic of the dash for us please?

I have one very similar to @miketomcat in my 80” on here - but that has the grab rail to bolt too, In yours I’m not sure what you have to bolt too without making fresh holes?

There is always the window suction type?

This type picks up a bolt hole:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133238556620

With a more expensive version:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133381764096

Mine sticks to the window and has never fallen off . It grips any size phone solid as a rock . The military use ram mounts,you can fix full size I pads in if you want . They have many different mounting options 

Gluv 🇬🇧IMG_0664.thumb.JPG.23597b7a9961dd1797da19f5583ad509.JPGIMG_0665.thumb.JPG.5ed3ea6b85e284f74324fef77f9caf2e.JPG

For a couple of cars, I have bought a desk mount, and stuck it down to the dash with double sided foam tape.

Bonus is nothing stuck to the windscreen, out of my vision of the road, and no wobble at all.

You may find one you can butcher /carefully modify so you can bolt it down?

In my Audi, not wanting to stick anything to the dash, nor make holes in it, I used a spare switch panel blank, drilled a hole in it and fixed a ball/socket adjustable phone mount to that. To rectify, I just need to replace the switch blank.

• Like 1

I have a RAM mount for the tablet on the Defender, last year I wanted something just right for a mobile (to carry over to the 109" - if I'll ever finish it, sigh) and came across this one, suggested from the other side of the pond.
Bought it off ebay, it's cheap and works great. 
It needs a simple DIY bracket to be used on a flat surface.

phone_holder_mounted.jpg

It's finding something that doesn't need holes in the vinyl Dash cover. It's getting fragile.

I think that drilling the under slope top dash support panel is fine, so I'll take these ideas and play with them.

Why can't I fit it between the stereo and the rear view mirror?

IMG_20200503_103920.thumb.jpg.5c011a604f96b3d91ac2c8f338cce5e4.jpg

Nice big space, and use one of those motorbike type holders, on its side. And far enough away for the old man eyes not to have to refocus.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:20 AM, Anderzander said:

When you sit in .... see if you can take a pic of the dash for us please?

I have one very similar to @miketomcat in my 80” on here - but that has the grab rail to bolt too, In yours I’m not sure what you have to bolt too without making fresh holes?

There is always the window suction type?

This type picks up a bolt hole:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133238556620

With a more expensive version:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133381764096

Pics from the drivers view:

IMG_20200503_095625.thumb.jpg.9972e76c5da2f8ff18e5ed0c99eb7310.jpgIMG_20200503_095632.thumb.jpg.a8460a5fa392a5be21f48013551aad33.jpg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, steve b said:

Nothing to do with phone mounts , where did you get the additional switch labels on the centre mount ?  Very tidy .

cheers

Steve b

They are a bit of theatre, aren't they? eBay. Charlieecu is the seller. Does lots of mostly tidy Landrover bits.

Gazzar, have you ruled out windscreen mounted ? I got one brand, Arkon, on recommendation and it has proved to be superb, mounting reliably, the right shape for the dash and doesn't cost a fortune.

20200503_151810.thumb.jpg.1428b5504274332c7f32006fba105b29.jpg

Totally, anything in the way of the screen, I can't cope with it.

It's the old training, coupled with the small series windows, it's got to be out of the line of sight for me.

I think a bracket based thing above the rear view mirror is going to work.

IMG_20200503_103920~2.jpg

11 hours ago, ballcock said:

If you are going to fit it above the mirror could you mount a bracket between the mirror arm and sreen surround using the existing screws?

That's what I've got in mind, picking up the mirror mounts.

It's the wobble that bothers me.

It's going to be a clever bracket. I've just got to choose a holder, one in aluminium, I think.